Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 11-20-2002, 10:21 AM   #41
lcarlson
Founding Member

Default Re: Suzuki GSX1400; The Hemi 'Cuda of Motorcycles and the injustice concerning it

Ah -- Good catch, I wasn't reading carefully enough.
lcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-20-2002, 10:23 AM   #42
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: the F650cs

Arrgh. Yes.The difference between 650CS w/abs and an R1150R sans/abs is only aboout $800.00.

Talk about a no brainer.
Old 11-20-2002, 11:22 AM   #43
john
Founding Member

Default Re: You are incorrect sir

Seruzawa....nice thought. I think you are wrong though. I think Harley thinks you are wrong, too.

The average Harley rider's age is what? 45-47 now? the average motorcyclist is 35? It seems that both of those averages keep climbing.

What has Harley done to go to a younger market, as there current market will surely wither up and die in teh next 20 years. And GenXr's (of which yes, i am one) are just now STARTING to come into their spending capability. And what bikes does Harley have in line for the Next 10 years? well, the VROD, for one, as they discovered "nostalgia" doesnt sell to GenXr's, but performance does. And the Buell line has gotten much more attention. In both cases i think this is just the start of a product revolution for Harley.

Now, I ride with all types of people.....and MOST of them are in either the cruiser or sportbike camp (and a few motards). Most of the cruiser riders are going for metric cruisers, as they dont justify paying 2x as much for the same level of quality and features.

Luckily, as HD increases production and the moronic owners who paid 4 grand over MSRP to join the harley gang start sellin because their nuts withered up and riding isnt the cool thing to do anymore, prices in general will go down.
Old 11-20-2002, 12:02 PM   #44
rvfrules
Founding Member

Default Re: Suzuki GSX1400; The Hemi 'Cuda of Motorcycles and the injustice concerning it

Windshields look pretty dumb on these bikes imho..... Did try a bikini cowl but didn't care for the windblast noise it created. Truth be told, if I had thought the bike was fantastic, I would have stuck with it. But it was a totally different style of riding then I was used to on my VFR800. The low-end torque was too much and there wasn't enough power on top. Just didn't yank my crank enough. In the end, I really preferred my viffer and bought it back from the dealer.
rvfrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 12:06 PM   #45
rvfrules
Founding Member

Yeah, the power characteristics of the GSX1400 would make it an awesome tourer. I always wondered why they didn't give it a decent half fairing and go the shaft route. It isn't exactly a lightweight anyhow..... It never did so really well here in Japan. The CB1300 and Yamaha XJR1300 consistently outsell it by far.
rvfrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 12:49 PM   #46
merv
Founding Member

Down here in New Zealand this is the range of Suzukis we can buy for the road http://www.suzuki.co.nz/motorcycles/motorcycles.html plus you can now buy the GS1200ss for the bargain price of $11,995. This is a real retro replica as you can see here http://w1.157.telia.com/~u15704746/GS1200SS.html If you Americans drop on down here you can get just over 2 bucks for every US$ so the GS is under $6k to you. Great huh.
merv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 01:55 PM   #47
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: You are incorrect sir

I think YOU are wrong and so does Harley. The Buell line has never sold well and continues not to. Buell is a blip on the sportbike scene and never was a major player. Of course the average age is much higher for Harley than other brands. The big four rake in all the 18 year old squids, five 18 year old squids on 600s and five 60 year olds on GoldWings. 36 year old average. See how that works? That significantly lowers their average age. Factor out sport bikes and see what the Honda average age would be. Same as Harley I would bet any money. Harleys getting cheaper is a pipe dream. They have NEVER gotten cheaper or discounted in my 45 years. Even when they were going under they sold every bike for list. If you mean the markup won't be as much, that is a reality, but if you think that Harley is going to lower the prices, I think you have been smoking the wrong tobacco. If you read the recent editorial by Jeff Bleustien, he stated that the air cooled v-twin will be the staple of the Harley lineup for years to come, and not V-rod knockoffs, so your prediction there is wrong. Not that Harley won't have new models, but what you see now is what they are going to produce for many years to come. I think they are projecting 289,000 motorcycles sold this year and they made 1.3 billion in profits for the 3rd quarter. Not bad for a company that doesn't have a clue. I know the Harley owners are moronic, but those same surveys that show their age show they are better educated and make more money than owners of other brands. Maybe they know something you have yet to learn.
Old 11-20-2002, 01:56 PM   #48
sarnali
Founding Member

I like the bandit better myself, I think the suspension and frame is a more modern design, and the GSXR engine is a proven winner, That said I like the blue and white paint on the 1400, and the fuel injection, and the whole '80's retro look works well, I think as a pure standard this would sell, It looks like Givi bags and a small windshield would look good on there, kind of like the Harley convertable, as far as HP and torque, my bandit " only" makes about 115 HP@7500 rpm, however thats about 130 in 5th so big numbers don't tell the whole story on the street, it's torque that counts and this and the bandit hit peak torque @ 4500 rpm, so in the real world powerbands of this type are alot more fun than 140hp @ 11500 that you'll rarely see. Suzuki could market the SV1000 as a v-twin sport-standard, the Bandit 1200s as a 4 cyl sport standard and the GSX1400 as a standard with the potential to set up as a distance bike, and not compete for market share among it's own models. or they could offer F.I. and blue/white paint on Bandits, and get me to buy a new one.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 02:05 PM   #49
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Correction

Average age was 39 and not 36 in the above reply. bad typing but the idea is still the same.
Old 11-20-2002, 05:51 PM   #50
Anton_1
Founding Member

Default gs1200ss

The all black version of this bike rocks. Old rat bike looks, modern brakes, good suspension, kicking bandit moter
Anton_1 is offline   Reply With Quote