Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 11-20-2002, 06:57 AM   #31
robb_millett
Registered Member

Default Re: Suzuki GSX1400; The Hemi 'Cuda of Motorcycles and the injustice concerning it

Everybody's forgetting (or ignoring) that suzuki already sells the Bandit 1200 here, which sells okay, and actually has more power and is lighter than the GSX1400...

so why would they bring in another bike to compete with that? in fact, by importing the SV1K naked, they already are!

robb_millett is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-20-2002, 07:11 AM   #32
banda
Founding Member

Default Re: In the vain defense of LBS...

Not so, oh LBS "expert".

The second piston on the rear brake is only activated when the front left caliper is torqued upwards by a moving front wheel.

Therefore, when the front brake is applied while the bike is already stopped, the rear brake is not, since there is no wheel movement to rotate the left front caliper.

Try it on any VFR or Blackbird. Put it on the centerstand in neutral. Zip tie the front brake lever. Spin the rear wheel by hand. Marvel at the cleverness!

Or of course, do a burnout. The ziptie thing is just less dangerous/smelly/expensive.
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 07:21 AM   #33
bwarbiany23
Founding Member

Default Re: Suzuki GSX1400; The Hemi 'Cuda of Motorcycles and the injustice concerning it

Suzuki made the same "mistake" as Honda did when they introduced the Hawk. It's called the SV650. And after all, nobody bought that one in the states, huh?

Brad
bwarbiany23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 07:30 AM   #34
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: You are incorrect sir

I'm not sure if Seruzawa was correct about GenXres or not, but he is 100% spot on, dead nuts correct about what he said about motorcycle power and image and numbers. The point I was making was the GSX1400 is a very nice motorcycle, but due to the all important price/performance ratio, it won't sell. Now if it was a price/usable performace ratio, it would sell just fine. But then again how many squids would brag on a bike that isn't 3 lbs lighter and 3 more hp. than his buddies?
Old 11-20-2002, 08:19 AM   #35
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: You are incorrect sir

Don't worry your little head. Not every Genxer has as closed a mind as you do. When they get they grey ponytails they'll buy Harleys. Bank on it.
Old 11-20-2002, 08:43 AM   #36
seruzawa
The Toad

It's too bad we don't get choices like this in the US. But the manufacturers can't just bring some 1400s over and see if they sell. It costs a heck of a lot of money to get all the various FedBeaucracy approvals (EPA, DOT, ETC.) and the company has to be sure that the bikes will sell enough to at least defray the initial investment. The sales of standards are just too poor in the US.

Apparently BMW can afford to bring the hideously ugly F650CS over, even though it was designed for the Euro market because they already have the paperwork for the powerplant in line for the US with their other 650s. So if BMW only sells about 2 dozen of those all year (likely), they still haven't lost anything. The GS1400 or the CB1300 would have to be redesigned to meet US standards. Not a cheap proposition.

Too bad. I've really liked my old GSX1100G and I'd really consider buying one of these standards.

On the plus side, Suzuki took a chance by bringing the 1200Bandit out in the first place, considering the poor sales of standards at the time. They profited from it and we now see more standards offered. If they continue to be offered as more performance oriented standards like the Bandit or the ZRX then maybe we'll see more sales and more choices.

Old 11-20-2002, 09:30 AM   #37
Tim_White
Founding Member

The GSX1400 is better looking than the Bandit, IMHO, and it lays down about 100 lb.-ft. of low-rev torque, easily surpassing the output of the Bandit. But, I'm sure the presence of the Bandit in the USA is a factor in Suzuki's decision not to bring the 1400 here. That and the probable high price the 1400 would require.
Tim_White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 10:23 AM   #38
sqidbait
Founding Member

The *real* injustice is that the Fazer 600 and the 600 Hornet aren't offered in the US.

As far as the GSX1400 goes, Suzuki doesn't have a large tour bike, do they? ( ala ST, FJR )

They could bring the GSX in, offer all sorts of factory options ( heated grips/ windshield/bags )... there's the market segment to go after! They could position it against BMW's naked R bikes.

The only downside is that it doesn't have a shaft.

-- Michael

sqidbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 11:01 AM   #39
TheFox
Founding Member

Default No need to defend LBS...it's nice I'm sure.

I never said LBS is crap. On bikes like the Pan Euro/ST1300 and the Wing and commuters, not a problem. But it does seem kind of silly to put it on this thing, which was supposed to be an overpowered naked hooligan bike.

What I was saying was, "I mean, why in God's name would you put LBS on this bike [when it doesn't fit with the image it attempt to portray]?"

--The Fox

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 11:06 AM   #40
TheFox
Founding Member

Default Re: the F650cs

Anyone notice that the price difference between an F650cs and R1100R is only about 2K American?

--Foxy

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote