Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 11-20-2002, 05:11 AM   #21
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Default Re: Suzuki GSX1400; The Hemi 'Cuda of Motorcycles and the injustice concerning it

Simple. It ain't that fast. If Chevy sold a 454 Chevelle today, it would take a discount down to $12K to get any of them to move. We expect lots of performance and lots of everything else. That's why the ZRX1200 is such a success - it looks retro, but works quasi-modern.

The GSX1400 has the looks, but not the performance. Sure it is faster than any '80's big lug, but that ain't fast enough. 1/4 mile needs to be less than 11 seconds or it will not sell.

I'm no 18 year old squid (more like 35 year old semi-racer engineer), and I am not interested in big bore bikes with 100hp. For me to want a big retro, it should be super confy, beautiful, smooth and docile around town and ungodly fast if I twist the grip all the way. GSX fails the last one and is thusly a noncontender.

That's why it will not come to the USA. They'll need to build one based on a Busa motor. Then they'll need to build another factory to meet the demand.

BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-20-2002, 05:19 AM   #22
rvfrules
Founding Member

Default Re: Suzuki GSX1400; The Hemi 'Cuda of Motorcycles and the injustice concerning it

I live in Tokyo. I owned a GSX1400 for a week. Tons of torque, almost too much as it was like a rollercoaster ride in the twisties. Decent fully adjustable suspension and great handling for a standard. Fuel injection was spot on. Huge storage space under the seat. All in all a great ride. But my herniated disk in my upper back couldn't take the wind blast at highway speeds so I sold it.

rvfrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 05:21 AM   #23
rvfrules
Founding Member

Dude, I don't know what happened in your case, but here in Tokyo, several of my friends have bought new re-imported 2002 model year Japanese bikes recently and didn't go through any of the crap you're talking about. The dealers here are supposed to do all that crap for you before they sell it to you.

rvfrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 05:28 AM   #24
banda
Founding Member

Default In the vain defense of LBS...

Uh maybe because LBS works.

The only people who trash LBS are moto-journalists and people who have either very little or no experience at all riding LBS equipped bikes. The reason: LBS feels different. It does. If you have very highly refined braking skills, learned and practiced on supersport equipment on a race track, then it sucks to re-learn everything and cozy up to LBS.

Likewise, if you have no experience at all, but just regurgitate everything you read in magazines, it's hard to understand why LBS can be a good thing.

First of all, LBS (in the Honda iterations) works quite well once you understand what it's supposed to do. It's not a safety device, or training wheels for incompetent riders. It is a means of getting predictable performance out of a low cost combination of powerful brakes and inexpensive non-adjustable suspension components.

The problem with fast heavy bikes is that you have to have some powerful way to stop them. So you need big old discs out front. Great. But the problem with powerful brakes is that you really should tune the suspension for the kind of braking being done. Therin lies the problem. First of all, on a street bike, it would be very difficult to tune a suspension for all street situations. Second of all, there's maybe .2% of the motorcycling population that can even tell you the difference between compression damping and preload. So just putting trick adjustable suspension components doesn't give a bike good braking performance. LBS does because it works like an anti-dive device.

Don't believe all the silly crap you hear. LBS bikes can be ridden aggressively. They can be trail-braked into corners. They give very good performance at a very low price point.

banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 06:32 AM   #25
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: In the vain defense of LBS...

Unfortunately, it also makes burnouts (using the front brake) nearly impossible.
Old 11-20-2002, 06:34 AM   #26
seruzawa
The Toad

Oh yes, magazine performance figures. The clueless squidly idiots miss the fact that with a high revving low torque engine (that is, one with a high cost/performance ratio) it is far more difficult to get good consistent launches and said launches are much harder on the bike's longevity than a motor that gives up a few horsepower for torque. Plus those magazine times are gotten by professional riders who have done thousands of launches and are abusing a bike that they never had to pay for themselves. Peewee Gleason may get a 10 second 1/4 mile out of a CBR600, but no more than a handful of riders will come near breaking 11 sec (or even 12 sec).

In the real world (a sacreligious term) the better torque engine will give 90% of riders better performance because of the ease of launches and the much more forgiving nature of the torquey engine. In reality they will be faster on such a bike. But don't tell them that. It ruins the "look at me on the hottest iron" game. (And they have the gall to call others posers?)

I think the 1400 would be a heck of a hoot to ride.

And about GenXers. Don't buy KPaul's BS. Loads of those kids want Harleys. My GenX nieces always wanted to bum rides on my 81 FXEF. They've never once wanted a ride on my GSX1100 or my KZ750 or my VF700C or my.....

Old 11-20-2002, 06:37 AM   #27
seruzawa
The Toad

Cool. The CB1300 looks a lot like the phenomenal ol' CB900F. The best bang for the buck of the early 80's.
Old 11-20-2002, 06:40 AM   #28
KPaulCook
Banned

Default You are incorrect sir

"And about GenXers. Don't buy KPaul's BS. Loads of those kids want Harleys. My GenX nieces always wanted to bum rides on my 81 FXEF. They've never once wanted a ride on my GSX1100 or my KZ750 or my VF700C or my..... "

Serusuyi (seruzawa) saw two indians walking out of the forest in single file. Serusuzy said all indians walk single file. Your nieces are exactly in the right gender dude. Hey when is the last time you talked to a GenX.

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 06:52 AM   #29
Tim_White
Founding Member

The GSX1400 is my idea of a cruiser. Good looks, lots of low-down power, strong brakes, and competent handling. I seem to remember reading about it having a small gas tank and not much in the way of fuel range, which would limit its effectiveness as a touring bike. But it looks like a perfect two-up Sunday afternoon bike to me.
Tim_White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 06:53 AM   #30
Tim_White
Founding Member

Er, did you try a windshield first?
Tim_White is offline   Reply With Quote