Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 11-19-2002, 07:33 PM   #11
ShawnVegas
Founding Member

Default Re: Suzuki GSX1400; The Hemi 'Cuda of Motorcycles and the injustice concerning it

I wish Honda would have brought over the CB1300 instead of the CB900 (919). Now that's an awesome looking machine.

CB1300 Link
ShawnVegas is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-19-2002, 07:40 PM   #12
Z3Coupe
Founding Member

Default Re: Suzuki GSX1400; The Hemi 'Cuda of Motorcycles and the injustice concerning it

What ever happened to the CBR1100XX Blackbird -framed and -powered standard that was sold in the rest of the world? I want to say it was called the X11 or something similar... Used the same aluminum spar frame and the same, "not-retuned-for-better-torque" engine... Did it sell well overseas? Anyone know what I'm talking about? Am I just crazy?
Z3Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 07:54 PM   #13
TheFox
Founding Member

Default You are right....

It was called the X-11, and it bombed. They took it off the market last year I think. It was hideously ugly, had a huge rad shroud that was designed to help inhibit wheelies, Honda's LBS system and just no soul. It was just...boring. At least, that's what I heard and saw in the Brit rags.

I mean, why in God's name would you put LBS on this bike?

--Foxy

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 09:08 PM   #14
KPaulCook
Banned

Default More from Dr X. (Phd in GenXology)

Shorthop! I am so glad you now understand my thesis. Seriously, I have never seen a GSX1400. If it looks like the Japaneser UJMs of yore than I would agree with you it would not sell. Naked or partially naked bikes I contend are the new cruisers i.e. when Gen Xers get older and want to rest their arms they will turn to bikes like the Monster, new Kawa, SV1000 and Honda 919 etc. Cruisers like the majority of the HD line will become museum artifacts (in baby boomer exhibits). If you slap that 1400 cc in a Monster like frame than you might have something. I think HD next bike should be a Monster like V-Rod. For To Gen Xers retro is in as long as it is psuedo retro like the VW Bug. Totally Retro like most HD bikes is not in

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 09:33 PM   #15
sarnali
Founding Member

I've wondered that myself, I've been checking this one out on the Brit. and euro-trash web sites for a few years, looks to me like it would compete well with the ZRX1200, and not be overwhelmed by the newer big-bore nekkid's.The 100 hp is to comply with european HP resrtictions, I'm sure. Suzuki or Holeshot should be able to scrape up another 15-20 HP without too much trouble, and from all I've read this is a torque monster anyway, so peak HP isn't as much an issue as it would be with an RPM engine like the FZ, 500lbs is within the acceptable range, for this size and type, and with the overall lay out of the bar/seat/pegs it should be a great 2-up all rounder, at least on par with the Bandit if not better, plus the blue and white paint looks better. unless they price it through the roof it should sell pretty well here, a look at Bandit sales should show that there's a pretty steady market for this type of bike, With the Bandit placed as a more sporty type, and the GSX1400 as a true standard they should get some good numbers, I'd put it on my short list, when I wear out my Bandito
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 01:07 AM   #16
FLSTN61
Founding Member

Way off the subject here gang! BOYCOTT bringing a motorcycle to Japan! The Japanese have imposed a new ruling for imported motorcycles - even Japanese brands. The ruling requires the owner of any import produced after 1 April 2001 to take the bike to Osaka or Tokyo for a fuel homologation test and a brake test. The bike may not be ridden until the "tests" are performed. The cost of the tests alone is a thousand dollars. By the time you pay for shipping and the "middleman" to "take care of paperwork", you will be nearly two thousand dollars lighter. That is if your bike passes the "tests". The fuel homologation test is a joke, especially for a fuel injected machine. I live in northern Japan and own two bikes. My '96 is fully legal. My 2001, produced in MAY '01, still isn't legal. It is typical of the Japanese. They won't tell you that you can't take your scoot over here, they'll just make it so restrictive that you won't! I wish we could f*ck the Japanese at their own game and place the same restrictions on all of their Hondas, Toyotas, etc. that grace our American roads. Sorry to take up precious space here, but just wanted to get this out. Boycott Japan! P.S. the GSX1400 is quite the beefy ride, I was looking at one at a local dealer here in Japan. If I can con them into a test ride I'll let you know!
FLSTN61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 03:39 AM   #17
wfowade
Founding Member

Actually, I think it MAY be a marketing decision regarding the sharing of products between Kawasaki and Suzuki and the desire to maintain margin. While I have no proof of this, consider the prospect. The big Suzuki would compete with both the relatively good selling Blandit(s) and the ZRX 1200 and to a lesser extent the Z1000. By comparison, the ZRX was initially a strong seller but dealers seem to be cutting deals to move 'em so I don't know if the retro thing has run it's course. Not to mention the SV 1000. That is a lot of platforms from what could be considered one maker in what is at this point a smaller subset of the market.

If a bike like the Suzuki 1400 is your thing, go visit your local Kawasaki dealer. For what it is worth, the ZRX 1200 is a great bike. Love the torque, the HP is enough but the bike is a bit heavy. In order to get this consumer to get out the checkbook to replace the ZRX I am looking for a similar riding position, at least as much power and about a 100 pound weight loss. For the street I'll insist on moderate ergonomics. The Aprillia Tuono (and new Z 1000) could be close so maybe that is the future trend of this market segment.

Even without the big Suzuki being available in USA showrooms, this is a great time to be a motorcycle enthusiast.
wfowade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 03:51 AM   #18
mconlon
Founding Member

Great bike, but we will never see it. Why? Two huge reasons:

1) Zephyr 1100. Retro style I4 with a big engine. Didn't sell; Suzuki, like Honda with the Hawk, isn't about to make the same mistake twice.

2) ZRX 1200--Kawazuki sure isn't going to compete against itself in the same, limited market segment. Witness the B-King styled Z1000--I doubt we'll see a B-King from Suzuki now and I really doubt that Suzuki will bring in a bike to compete directly with ZRX sales.

mconlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 04:21 AM   #19
lcarlson
Founding Member

Nor too believable --
lcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 05:11 AM   #20
banda
Founding Member

I reckon that would be 100 km/h, in Australia. Sounds right to me.
banda is offline   Reply With Quote