Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

View Poll Results: Wheelies are:
Decadent 30 2.93%
Assinine 124 12.12%
Cooler than Naked Ladies and things that go Brrr 77 7.53%
A healthy part of a balanced relationship 183 17.89%
Not interesting at all 54 5.28%
Better than reading about the Highwayman 72 7.04%
Something you wish you could do better 446 43.60%
37 3.62%
Voters: 1023. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-13-2002, 02:33 PM   #1
YamahaFZR
Founding Member

Default Re: Keith Code Wheelie School

Great, just great, more squids learning to be "stuntardz".
This should be banned and Keith Code is obviously exactly what the other schools say about him: Wrong in his training and obviously lacks any real merit in the bike world.
No one should "learn" to wheelie.
Want to wheelie? Go buy a dirtbike.
Man I hope cops everywhere see this and double their efforts to nail "stuntardz" because my insurance already is high and I have a clean record.
YamahaFZR is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-13-2002, 02:41 PM   #2
dirtyd
Founding Member

does this class include a special simulator for wheeling up and down steep hills, over curbs, and around corners, or do I have it mixed up with the motorcycle safety foundation advanced rider course? Oh well, with such small class sizes I most likely couldn't afford it anyway. I guess I'm doomed to have my front wheel on the ground forever. Damn. Those rich guys get everything.
dirtyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 03:02 PM   #3
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Will the guarantee still apply if I show up on a new Honda Rune? VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 06:49 PM   #4
Duken4evr
Founding Member

I agree about the dirtbike. Having owned an XR600 and now a YZ426, I know a thing or two about wheelies.

Unfortunately, once one gets the "hang" of wheelies, one can't give them up. Especially if one happens to ride a TL1000S, as demonstrated in my little picture link.

People who ride wheelies in traffic and in public view are morons. People who ride them in the boonies out of public view are having fun.

Take a look at my photo and decide, am I a moron, or am I just having some fun
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 08:34 PM   #5
sarnali
Founding Member

I always thought wheelies on the street were pure poser, and an example of social Darwinism at work, I've always been more interested in slammin' corners then trying to tear up my steering head bearings, I guess they impress the mullet-an-camaro crowd.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 04:02 AM   #6
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Ride like Rossi

Rossi watchers can tell when he's really trying by watching his front wheel on the drive out of each corner. It's like one inch in the air while he's still at 30 degrees of lean and stays there until he's straight up and shifting.

Learning how to handle a bike at the limits of stability is what racing is all about. Whether Code is competent to teach it is another question. Whether a wheely limiter is an approproptiate tool is yet another.

I'd like to see a wheely limiter as an optional safety feature; it should improve 0 to 60 performance for the average rider.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 04:54 AM   #7
SP2_PILOT
Founding Member

If you object to wheelies, than how do you feel about exceeding the speed limit? or maybe modified motorcycles do not appeal to you because they too are illegal. Why must the reckless behavior of people that you do not know cause such a hatefull diatribe? I suspect that most of the riders that have the abbility to push a bike to its limit enjoy the thrills of pushing there own personal skill limits. To perform well one must have a firm handle on all things technical, Wheelies, stoppies, burn outs, all these skills are really quite silly and have no place on public roads filled with suv's full of soccer moms. however a deserted hunk of asphalt or a track day are the perfect venue to practice and master these skills. I have raced and won a lot of races and the fact is a victory mono is the most satisying thing I have ever done. If you don't understand fine, but you should practice a bit of tollerance,
SP2_PILOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 05:14 AM   #8
Ken_Packard
Founding Member

Default Why some can't wheelie?

Does anyone have any thoughts on why some riders seem to wheelie quite naturally while others just can't get it?

Is it purely raw skill? I'm not sure, otherwise, why can some riders rip through corners while not beign able to launch a grande mono that comes with ease to others who can't cut their way through a turn?

Different skills, yes, but are there some who, no matter how well/smooth they ride, are simply wheelie "handicapped"?
Ken_Packard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 05:51 AM   #9
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Thoughts

Maybe:

It's the bike/rider system that counts.

If throttle response (bike) or throttle control (rider) isn't smooth and precise wheelies are unpredictable and dangerous.

Panic is the main cause of poor throttle control.

Super **** bikes have way more power than needed unless all the riders weight is on the front wheel. Just enough power is better than too much.

Wee little 50cc bikes are easy to wheely if you sit back far enough.

Wheely control is part of learning to ride any powerful bike (except the Rune?). Rolling off the power smoothly while leaning forward should be automatic. After learning that, it's easy to learn to roll off just a bit and sustain the wheely with weight shift and throttle modulation.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 05:53 AM   #10
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Chill man

I think it is cool that Keith is doing this. Hey if people are willing to pay so be it. What better way to do it than in a controlled environment.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote