Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 10-08-2002, 12:28 AM   #21
MrDeadeye
Founding Member

Default Can't believe I finally paid!

Can't believe I finally paid! I've been a frequent visitor since.. 96? (Have you been around that long?) Anyway, I said I'd pay if you guys could stay in business for a year or so after going subscription... so here I am. You win.

I have no experience with LBS, but the ABS works great on my R1100R. To those who say ABS is a crutch, I'll bet that if your bike had ABS, you would not disable it and you'd love it as much as I do when it rains. That said, it is an expensive option. Not many people will ever be willing to pay an extra $2000 for a safety system -- Just crazy BMW nuts.

MrDeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-08-2002, 02:00 AM   #22
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Default Re: Can't believe I finally paid!

all it took for me was the R1 test and I couldn't take it anymore, so I joined.
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 02:01 AM   #23
Jexter
Founding Member

Default Re: US DOT Motorcycle Braking Study

Hmm, this is kinda spooky.

"Consider ABS requirements for front wheel only "

Requirements in the law sense? Considering this after a test that didn't involve unassisted braking with somebody who knew what he/she was doing with it? These are completely different bikes, essentially making it a useless comparison.

"Touring bike with ABS did not show a clear advantage when braking in straight line stops."

Ya think, when compared to a VRF800, a dual-sport, and a scooter?

Bah. Anything that smacks of making me buy ABS is an unsavory thought, but I think this is flawed independently of that.
Jexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 03:22 AM   #24
MrDeadeye
Founding Member

Default And another thing..

Don't know how scientific this is, but sounds reasonable. Source = http://home.att.net/~jeff.dean/rt-p.htm

[b]"It has been estimated that 35% of police motorcycle crashes would not have occurred if the officer involved had been riding an ABS-equipped motorcycle!

In December 2001, CHP Commissioner "Spike" Helmick noted that the Department [of Public Safety] has not lost an officer since BMW was first awarded a contract to provide motorcycles, and he added that the ABS brake system has reduced the number of injuries suffered in motorcycle-related accidents."

MrDeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 04:31 AM   #25
painter_1
Founding Member

Default Re: Its a hotly debated topic--I'll take LBS & ABS

Your right about seattle, after the first few rains in the fall, the traction is pretty good. If you want to do a test on how various tires do in the rain come up here in feb. or march. I've been riding year round up here since 1980, so far the best rain tire i've used is the macadam 100 second is 207 zr then bt 56 .
painter_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 04:36 AM   #26
painter_1
Founding Member

Oh RIGHT , why do you think social security and medicare, medicade is so f^%&*& up
painter_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 05:05 AM   #27
Steve781
Founding Member

I ride an '01 VFR ( where did you think the 781 came from?) As a certified geek and multi-degreed designer of mobile equipment, I've spent many evenings reading the factory service manual, paying particular attention to the LBS description. The Honda LBS system includes a very sophisticated system of brake pressure sequencing and proportioning. There are threshhold pressures below which the rear brake does not effect the front brake, then there is a ramped profile of pressure proportioning between the front and rear brake systems. At very high brake pressures the linking effect tapers back off, so you can get on the front brake all you want and not lock the rear.

Did anyone really believe Honda would go to the trouble and expense of developing and installing a LBS system without first studying it six ways to Sunday?
Steve781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 05:48 AM   #28
kman45
Founding Member

Default Re: the scary part

The scary part is the ABS requirement coming down the pike. Great for guys that ride everyday in all conditions, etc. etc. But I don't want the expense, the weight, the repair bill when it goes south, etc.

The studies statement that most riders panic and apply a lot of pressure on the front brake is complete horse*****. I would say the vast majority of our growing segment of over-40 cruiser riders know nothing but stamping on the rear. Hell you can see that during general riding, which will translate right to panic stops. Why else do you think they had to "lay it down", etc.

It takes practice and discipline to use the front brake to it's full effect, sadly which most riders never learn to do.

The riders in the study that practiced "panic" stopping must have been good riders that know the power of the front brake.
kman45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 06:23 AM   #29
fellswoop13
Founding Member

Default Lots of people grab too much front brake, too

Even experienced riders that know moto braking theory have a tendency to grab their front brakes too hard in an emergency situaion, instead of having the discpline to "load" the front gradually like you're supposed to. It's hard to do that when you're in a life or death situaion that pops up suddenly. ABS can keep your front wheel from locking up, especially in sub optimal conditions.

check this link:

http://www.ibmwr.org/prodreview/abstests.html

peace, and ride well
fellswoop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 06:25 AM   #30
fellswoop13
Founding Member

Default so you have LBS on your bike, and you're a certified geek..

pray tell,

what is your evaluation of the system? I assume this is the 1st bike you've had that has it?

How has it been? What do you think of the '02 with LBS and ABS?

thank you kindly...
fellswoop13 is offline   Reply With Quote