Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

View Poll Results: Reader Survey: John Burns Can...
John Burns should be euthanized. 31 4.57%
Should shut the hell up except about bikes 82 12.09%
Can go off-topic now and then if agree with him 48 7.08%
Can go off-topic only when it involves motorcycles 113 16.67%
I like off-topic stuff and the heated debates 203 29.94%
More off-topic, I don't really even like bikes 12 1.77%
I just had several ****tails. What was the topic? 87 12.83%
My mom could, and should, kick Burnsie's ass 102 15.04%
Voters: 678. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-02-2002, 07:34 AM   #81
akcarlson
Founding Member

Default Hmm.

This post doesn't make much sense outside of the context of the article to which I intended this reply. Cheap bike reviews. Whoops.

Ignore me. Never mind.
akcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-02-2002, 07:38 AM   #82
jokor6
Founding Member

Default Re: And the point is...

Some of my suggestions:

1. update your product review...review more products. Let us know about all the new stuff that's out on the market, and what you think about them.

2. more babe pics

3. a how-to section. I know some of the mags have this, but whenever I need to find an old article, I have to search through a bunch of old, dusty mags and I almost never find what I'm looking for.

4. tech section - we ask tech questions about bikes, you answer them...like the mags do, but this is more real time. And we should be able to reply to your answers w/ follow up questions.

5. Letters/comments section

jokor6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 07:39 AM   #83
akcarlson
Founding Member

Great idea. Maybe a little out there in terms of do-ability, but good idea nonetheless. Good point about the advertisers; their potential customers will practically be doing the demographic work for them.

Consider this a vote for a Hawk GT forum--there are (probably) hundreds of us currently using the e-mail list format, but it's more than a little cumbersome.

Old 10-02-2002, 07:45 AM   #84
gforces
Founding Member

Default get a fire extinguisher

Your pants are on fire. I'm still waiting for my discount voucher to Cycle Saver (as promised) after subscribing.
gforces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 07:46 AM   #85
maynard
Founding Member

Default Re: My .02 for content

Yes on point 3. Back in the 60's Cycle World used to have motorcycle fiction articals. I'm sure they paid for them, but I'll bet you could get some for nothing if you let it be known that you would post them. Check out the 2WF stories section.
maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 08:04 AM   #86
akcarlson
Founding Member

Default This guy has great ideas

He may be a little bitter, but listen to this man. No pun intended there.

He's also got one great point: you guys, as an online magazine, have a default niche. So, why try to compete on content with the newsstand rags? They don't have the option to offer the kind of content you do; content that isn't driven by ad revenue, content that appeals to a wider audience, content that doesn't have to focus on the latest and greatest. I'd pay a couple more buck a year, and I think others would, too, if we saw an increse of unique content.

But, don't stop doing track days just because Philip doesn't like them.
Old 10-02-2002, 08:29 AM   #87
akcarlson
Founding Member

Default Re: Not Just the Bikes

This is why I love Peter Egan (and, in his rare non-technical moments, Kevin Cameron is in the same class). He could write about buying another 996 because of the track performance, or about buying back his old Porsche 356 because of its collectibility. But he doesn't.. He tells us about his experiences with the people around the track, and his vacations with motoring friends. To the untrained eye, he articles in R&T and CW seems off-track, but they're far from it. They're just on the right track, the enlightened track.

By the way, I'm infinately more jealous of Egan than I ever was of Elliot. Egan has it figured out, in the grandest sense, I think.
Old 10-02-2002, 08:33 AM   #88
fellswoop13
Founding Member

Default Just to Post the Obvious

A Forums Area would be great when there is a content-gap, and could go a long way to increasing the amount of information in 2 areas where I feel M.O is lacking:

1.)Moto Gear Reviews.

2.)Rider Skills Articles.

thank you kindly.
fellswoop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 08:40 AM   #89
akcarlson
Founding Member

Default Amatuer writing

A lot of people use this forum to express ideas because they're frustrated writers just looking for an audience. A lot of people on this forum are damn good writers, even in the casual atmosphere of posts. If you were to invite submissions (perhaps monthly, perhaps a new (broad) topic every month, just to keep people on track), I'm guessing you'd get a lot of articulate, well-written articles. Free content for you, gratification for the author, interesting viewpoints for the readers. We all win. It's beautiful.
Old 10-02-2002, 09:16 AM   #90
akcarlson
Founding Member

Here's what everyone seems to be saying: we want everything. We want you three guys to post reviews of new bikes, old bikes, new products, maintenance costs, stories of your childhoods, political viewpoints, yadda yadda. With all due respect, I don't think there are enough hours in the day for your guys to do all this.

Here's the solution (damn, I'm full of solutions today): let your readers do your work. This forum concept (MO used to have forums?) may be your godsend. There could be forums to discuss riding gear and accessories, forums for posting great rides (countrywide!), forums for finding other riders, forums for dicussing bike maintenance (with professional moderation? that would be great), forums for tangentially bike-related items. Maybe even a forum like this thread: a 'What can MO do for you' forum, sort of an e-comments/suggestions box. No politics forums, please. Burnsie can rant if he wants, but I don't want to pay to read what these other yahoos have to say about the state of world affairs. I will pay to read these yahoos' views on bikes, and all of the aformentioned topics, though.

More real-world orientation to reviews would be nice, and some real-world features (a bi-monthly sub-$2000 shootout, for instance) would be great. Perhaps some reviews of bikes that are off the newsstand's radar screens would be good. It would be great to bring back the classifieds, too. Pull the abusers off with impunity (hell, list their e-mail addresses and make examples of 'em).

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: you guys have a real niche here. You need to build your site based upon unique content, content that we can't find elsewhere. That's what will keep us coming back. That and the babes, maybe.

The most promising potential this site has is the potential to be the internet hub for motorcyclists. With the addtion of the forums, we may spend all day at MO and never read one of your articles, but we'll be busy writing and reading posts on the very topics that interest us, content generated by us. The People's Motorcycle Website - I'd buy that if it were on a t-shirt.

The best part about this site is that the possibilities are almost endless. You guys could go almost any direction with this site, and if you listen to your readers, I think you'll ultimately be successful.

Good luck!