Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

View Poll Results: Reader Survey: John Burns Can...
John Burns should be euthanized. 31 4.57%
Should shut the hell up except about bikes 82 12.09%
Can go off-topic now and then if agree with him 48 7.08%
Can go off-topic only when it involves motorcycles 113 16.67%
I like off-topic stuff and the heated debates 203 29.94%
More off-topic, I don't really even like bikes 12 1.77%
I just had several ****tails. What was the topic? 87 12.83%
My mom could, and should, kick Burnsie's ass 102 15.04%
Voters: 678. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-02-2002, 03:31 AM   #51
Closet_Bad_Ass
Founding Member

Default Re: And the point is...

This is a great idea. I'd like to know who I am talking with sometimes. And a lot could be inferred from the type of bike they ride. Although, all my bike says is that I am completely pu**y-whipped. I'd especially like to see what KPaul looks like on his Harley!
Closet_Bad_Ass is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-02-2002, 03:40 AM   #52
Ken_Packard
Founding Member

Default You won't be able to do everything...

First off, I applaud MO for soliciting feedback from subscribers. I have no doubt that it will result in an already fun and informative resource becoming even more so. However, it would be unrealistic to expect you to "bring to screen" ALL of the ideas expressed above, but this thread is bringing to light some consistencies.

Perhaps the best way to give everyone a piece of the action and a way to post/search for the information they desire is through forums.

Persoanlly, my fix is perpetually trying to become a better rider. I don't think you can read enough articles/commentary about braking, countersteering and all rider/bike interfaces, that when mastered, create smoothness. I agree that the vast majority of us will rarely see track time, so content relating to all aspects of the "real world" will have greater value than lap times. Lastly, I also like the idea of subscriber's "favorite rides". Rider does this and the trip descriptions/routes (and Grodsky's safety column) are the main reason I save that mag. Our bikes are made to be ridden. I would love to learn about the roads that other motorcycle enthusiasts enjoy. This could prove to be a very valuable resource for those of us who strive to take a few bike trips each year.

By bringing back the forums, you can probably kill several birds with one roost by creating specific areas where specific topics are discussed. Hell, you could even through in a political debate forum if you want.

With all due respect to MO, we can probably learn as much from one another as we can from the MO staff. Just think about our collective riding/bike ownership experiences. All in all, I believe that the vast majority of subscribers/posters to this site are mature and serious motorcycle enthusiasts. If you allow us a little freedom to communicate with one another by creating forums, discussion topics based on subscriber's tastes will naturally develop.
Ken_Packard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 03:43 AM   #53
porschennighthawk
Registered Member

I ride year round in Louisville, KY, and it gets cold here a couple weeks out of the winter. By cold, I mean below 15 degrees. I'm not the only insane person around, either. There's two other guys in my building that ride year round. How 'bout some more info (riding tips, equipment tests, bike mods to use, etc.) for tackling riding in the cold. With the right gear, there's no better ride than when it's around 40 degrees with the cold wind in your face!!
porschennighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 03:44 AM   #54
kavalk
Founding Member

I love the test write ups of bikes and equipment as I could never test out all the stuff on my own. You guys do an admirable job. However, I feel the best part of your online mag is the reader feed back. The readers bring out the best in you and never let you get away with anything. It's a win-win situation that we all benefit from (and has saved me from buying some real junk).
kavalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 03:49 AM   #55
Closet_Bad_Ass
Founding Member

Can you guys (and gals?) come pick me up in NYC on your way out next time?

I've never been there in the seat of a bike but I'd have to agree from reputation alone. I get to ride in the Finger Lakes region of NY, which isn't bad, but I'd prefer to be on the west coast riding up the shore and through the mountains.
Closet_Bad_Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 03:49 AM   #56
jtherkel
Founding Member

Default huge list of web app comments

Here's your list of possible improvements, with my comments below. New ideas are at the bottom.

1) Web e-mail for people with @motorcycle.net

Noooo! Don't waste your time with this. We all have e-mail addresses already. Why try and build something as good as Yahoo Mail or Hotmail when you've got 5% of their staff?

2) A ride/people database.

Yes! Differentiate between one-time rides and recurring events. Perhaps this would turn into an event calendar. Make sure people can sort for rides in their area.

3) Bring back the forums!

I think the current system where you can post responses to articles is a good implementation of "web community." I don't have all day to browse around forums, but then I've been out of college for a few years. I would only visit forums if they got really active and had experts who could answer my maintenance questions.

4) Classifieds/Auctions

People will always use eBay for auctions. Maybe do a partner deal with that site, but it would be really hard to set up your own system. But classifieds would be cool. If it's as easy to use as CycleTrader.com, people would use your system first because it's free. You could charge high rates for ads on these pages because people are in "shopping mode." Make sure you can offer different ads for different sections of the classifieds.

5) Customizable content -- so you can filter out those brands/genres that really annoy you and only see the shiny, happy content you like

Yes. You'll have to implement a content management system that tags content according to a bunch of criteria. For example, the "Catching the Nine-Sixteen" article should be tagged for sportbikes, Ducatis, and touring. Then someone looking for Ducatis would find that article. Right now, they would only find it by accident if they stumbled into the touring section. (Sorry for the jargon. Yes, I'm a web developer.)

It also would be cool to change our *e-mail* preferences. I would only like to get notified when articles are posted about sportbikes, standard bikes, and maintenance.

6) Let users create and moderate their own clubs/forums/email lists

I think everyone uses Yahoo Groups for this. This seems like another area that involves lots of infrastructure work with little payoff.

9) What else? What is the 'Net good for? You tell us...

<ul>[*]9a) Articles from your readers. There are tons of us with great ideas who would willingly post a product review or maintenance tip for free. You would need an approval system where articles could get reviewed by editors before posting. You would have to be careful to ensure the writers are not associated with vendors, but it's much easier than writing the articles yourselves. And it makes the readers much more involved with your site.

[*]9b) Improve your search engine. I searched for "SV650," and the top article was the 1999 previews. The recent (and awesome) articles from your intern on maintenance were buried down in the list. The first couple of lines from the article should appear in the search results.

[*]9c) Include more than one article promo in each e-mail. Every time I get a message from you guys, there's a lot of text but only one article. Shorten the text and add more articles to the message. This is basic Jakob Nielsen stuff.[/list]

Good luck! For the MO editors, I would be happy to beta test any of the new features you roll out.

-J.T.
jtherkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 04:14 AM   #57
Meatball_1
Founding Member

Default Re: How hard is it to review older bikes???

I think I can speak for both sides of this argument, I recently traded my 82 GL1100 for an 02 Warrior (yeah I'm having a mid age crisis and loving it) when I say the old stuff has already been reviewd. And like all the new stuff today, no one could ever really agree on what was the best then or now. Take a look out on the street for the survivors, and then look on then surf for the fan clubs. And then go with whatever sort of missplaced loyalty makes searcher prefer his 86 VFR.
Meatball_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 04:38 AM   #58
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: You won't be able to do everything...

I agree good post.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 04:40 AM   #59
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Excellent idea: rating manufactues/vendors

Good idea
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 04:41 AM   #60
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: huge list of web app comments