Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

View Poll Results: Reader Survey: John Burns Can...
John Burns should be euthanized. 31 4.57%
Should shut the hell up except about bikes 82 12.09%
Can go off-topic now and then if agree with him 48 7.08%
Can go off-topic only when it involves motorcycles 113 16.67%
I like off-topic stuff and the heated debates 203 29.94%
More off-topic, I don't really even like bikes 12 1.77%
I just had several ****tails. What was the topic? 87 12.83%
My mom could, and should, kick Burnsie's ass 102 15.04%
Voters: 678. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-01-2002, 03:48 PM   #11
balinx
Registered Member

Default Re: And the point is...

"2) A ride/people database. Like matchmaking, but for straight people that just want to ride "

I'm straight, but I see no reason to disparage members of the gay community from participating here.

I'm not trying to troll or start anything, just a quiet aside comment

James
balinx is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-01-2002, 03:51 PM   #12
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: This will get me in trouble . . .

In all seriousness, not that bad an idea -- who better to hit up for support in the fight to preserve breasts than a bunch of breast connisours?
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 03:53 PM   #13
desertbilly
Founding Member

Bike/Equipment reviews, especially comparisons, are really useful but I think the holy grail is offering a framework for groups of a particular make/model, to have a forum/list/pix/database/bookmarks/etc.

What's really great about the Internet is that people can form a community in it, regardless of where in the world they are. As a 5-month owner of a V-Strom, myself and several hundred other guys have recently done this for our common ride. Actually we've done it twice. We've used Yahoo Groups, which isn't bad, but it isn't perfect. The group, like many others, is surprisingly dedicated, enthusiastic and helpful. I also follow the Yahoo Group for KLR650s, which is up to 2500 members. Delphi has some groups also, but they also seem somewhat limited.

If you wanted to (I know it would be a ****load of work, and consume gobs of storage and bandwidth), the world could use a great forum hosting system to handle 75 to 150 groups oriented around popular motorcycle models. The groups would probably pay a small amount per year; but I think you're advertisers would go orgasmic to get at tens of thousands dedicated riders, in focused channels. Yeah, it would also take years to get a large number of large groups migrated over, but you're in this for the long-haul, aren't you?

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. I also vote for babes, and if Burnsy wants to rant and rave now and then, let him.
desertbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 04:05 PM   #14
grover750
Founding Member

Default Re: How hard is it to review older bikes???

I second this post! Something along the lines of what Motorcyclist magazine does. Pick an old bike that is either holding up particularily well, or one that has developed a cult following, and do a partial review.

Or...how about a section entitled "So, you have $2000 to spend". Pick the best cruiser, tourer, sportbike, etc. for the given price. I can see it now...in the sub $1000 sport category, which is better, the '77-'78 Honda CB750F, or the Kawi 900, or the Suzuki GS? What is the best bike to take to Alaska and back for less than $2000? Anybody can take out a loan and have a great bike, but the real fun starts by trying to have a blast on a budget! (I keep trying to convince myself of that, at least it would make for some interesting reading)

And....MORE DIRT! Motocross is growing just as fast as street riding, if not faster. And it makes you a much better street rider. Sliding doesn't seem like such a big deal anymore.

And....More Highwayman!
grover750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 04:11 PM   #15
TheFox
Founding Member

Default Re: Let's Burn Something!

No kidding. I need wheelie lessons!

--Foxy

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 04:14 PM   #16
Clem_1
Founding Member

Does anyone let you keep a bike long enough for a long-term test? That is one of my favorite features of some of the print rags. One of them has a ZX12R and a ZX9R as long term loaners and I like to keep up with their mods and comments. Also Touring around the World is a favorite of mine, not so much into the touring type bike as the experience. Keep up the good work. Clem.
Clem_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 04:29 PM   #17
ZR-7
Founding Member

"Staff":

More content about great places to ride our bikes. Have you ever taken a gander at: http://www.pashnit.com/motoroads.htm This guys site kicks your ass for ride content. He doesn't even ask for $12 a year!

When was the last time your guys went motorcycle camping with your son our daughter? When was the last time your went group riding under 100 MPH and took the GF/SO a long for the ride?

I asked for ride content years a go and you blew me off way back then. Here you are asking the same information again...why? You didn't listen the first time...

I don't give crap about track times, 1/4 mile time etc. Ride the damn bikes on the road with the rest of us suckers.

Drop the automatic posting of press releases by the mfgs. Chrage them ad rates to post this crap. I don't want to read sh*t on the web from nor about Aria after their Internet ban on helmet sales. I've got their "no Internet" right here...!

How about some service information? If it cost $300 every 5,000 miles to service a bike tell us about it. Oh, that might upset the mfg. So friggin what!

How about hiring a Service Expert that answers questions just like Cycle World and Rider, etc. Now I would tune in every day and pay more $ to see/read questions/answers. Hell, I can get way more information on my Suzuki B12S from http://www.maximum-suzuki.com/ibf/in...b3dd3eabac&c=2 and on my Kawasaki ZR-7 from http://www.zr-7.com/ than this web site.

Where are the product test? I just bought a Takai riding jacket. I don't have a clue how it compares to other jackets...but I can find the latest track times for the same old race bikes. Printed over and over again by every rag in the industry. How about a bargain glove comparo, may be some hydration products, what about a few brake pads, god forbid a spark plug info article. It's not like we don't have to buy this stuff.

How about a few article from the dealers/counter worker/mechanic perspective? What is it like to work in the "power sport/motorcycle industry?"

I'm sure you get the hint...the stuff not near as fun as a track day...

Philip

'02 Suzuki Bandit 1200S

'00 Kawasaki ZR-750
ZR-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 05:15 PM   #18
SlowBear
Founding Member

First, more detail about the bikes. Am I the only reader who cares about alternator output? How about the cost of a set of plugs, air filter and oil filter? How about the flat rate time for a valve adjustment?

I know this is pointless because the manufacturers would never allow it and you probably don't have the time but a look inside the engine of a long term (i.e. >=10K miles) bike would be very interesting. Are the cam bearings blue? Are the main and rod bearings looking good? I think this is valuable information. Cycle did this in the old days and the German magazines still do it to day.

What you shouldn't do: You should not copy JohnnieB's other employer's latest trick. Was anybody else as offended as I was by Cycle World's disguising a six page add for the Z1000 as editorial content in the November issue (see pages 39 to 43 inclusive)? I expect this kind of crap at Motorcyclist, that is a big part of why I let my subscription end, but I thought Cycle World had slightly higher standards.

SlowBear

SlowBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 05:36 PM   #19
ZR-7
Founding Member

Slow,

Cycle was the best!

We are going to have to read about the Z1000 over and over and over again until were sick of it.

Philip

ZR-7

B12S
ZR-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 06:09 PM   #20
Captain_1
Founding Member

Default Re: Since you asked....

What is the point of comparing stock bikes in a brief shootout piece when in the real world practically no one leaves their bike stock -- you don't have sex with your clothes on do you? In my experience, pipes, jetkits, powercommanders, saddles, suspension, etc. totally transform the machine and add much needed character (especially in the case of Hondas). Some bikes run so poorly with factory settings (Ducati, Harley, etc...) why bother testing them in their virgin state? The point is solicit vendors to donate bolt-on parts and do a long term test series with the modified machines. We can all take away knowledge from this. Hell, it may even be fun -- even with your clothes on.
Captain_1 is offline   Reply With Quote