Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 09-25-2002, 10:54 AM   #1
NoKneeDown
Founding Member

Default Re: Come and Ride in Turkey

AMA should take note
NoKneeDown is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-25-2002, 11:23 AM   #2
banda
Founding Member

I lived in Turkey when I was a kid, near Adana on the Mediterranean coast. It's a beautiful country, and the Turks are about the friendliest people you'll ever meet. I never considered a Turkish motorcycle vacation, but now my curiousity has been piqued. I've often thought that I would like to return to Turkey one day. Perhaps I'll see Turkey again on two wheels.
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 01:50 PM   #3
dardas
Founding Member

I was there on 2 wheels a while back. It's a beautiful place, but watch out for those roads; they have more holes and cracks than a nudist colony
dardas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 02:32 PM   #4
RonXX
Founding Member

Default PHUCK YOU!!

In reference to the naked bike comarison of a few weeks ago: You guys are goddamn idiots! Who is going to ride these bikes on the track anyway? NOBODY, that's who. Test them on the street, and give me pretty pictures. Oh yeah, where's that dude Blip nowadays anyway? At least some of the tests made sense then. Respond or I'll cut your balls off!
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 11:29 AM   #5
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: PHUCK YOU!!

At first I thought your reference to "naked bikes" was somehow a reference to the above post which referred to the fact that Turkish roads have more holes and cracks than a nudist camp (a pretty funny figure of speech, by the way) but now I see that your post has nothing at all to do with this thead.

OK, first, a lot of guys (meaning this in the non-gender specific manner as my teen-aged daughter and her friends do) WILL be out on a track with their naked bikes. Go to any CLASS or similar school, or virtually any track day, and you will see a very side spectrum of bikes using the track time to improve their road-riding skills. You will certainly see everything from Harleys, to Gold Wings to GS BMWs (complete with DOT knobbies). The track is great way to work on real road skills, not just to play as a racer.

Similarly, if I want to evaluate the handling of a new bike, I can risk my license and my life -- not to mention the lives of those I share the road with by testing the limits on the street, or I can go to a track, where there are no cell phone using SUV pilots around the next corner, no light poles or bridge abutments to hit, and where there is ready access to medical personnel in the event I f**k up and toss it.

Hey, when I was recently shopping for a new mini-suv, I read all the car mag road tests I could find. Every one of them reported 0-60mph and 1/4 mile times, taken at a drag strip, because readers find that to be one indicator of performance that IS related to how we might use the vehicle -- not that I had any intention of drag racing the CR-V, RAV4 or Escape that I was considering, but because it tells me something about hill climbing, passing etc that does matter to me. Is that the only factor I considered? Hell no, but if the figures had been too far below the others, that vehicle would have been ruled out (eg I DID rule out the 4cyl Escape on that basis).

As far as I am concerned, if I read any road test that doesn't include a track evaluation, I consider that as lame as if Motor Trend et al failed to measure the acceleration of the new Camry they test just because they don't expect their readers will drag race them!
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 01:52 PM   #6
RonXX
Founding Member

I was actually a little drunk when I wrote the previous post. I agree with you about the track performance being relevent in evaluating the overall potential of a vehicle. However, in the 'shootout' they had here on MO there was no test on the street. That would be fine if these were racer replicas whose mission in life is to have the best performance on the track. Big standards are used quite a bit more on the street than the track. So at least SOME information about their street manners/comfort/whatever would be worth a lot in this case. I guess I just like to complain, but what the hell is with only testing 2 of the bikes on the smaller "street" style track? Would that kind of thing ever fly in a print magazine? NO! Seriously, MO needs to use some common sense when they set up their test schedule.
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 02:48 PM   #7
rsheidler
Founding Member

>>I was actually a little drunk when I wrote the previous post<<

Damn, I was at work phucking off instead of doing real work -- wish I coulda been out getting a little drunk instead

You are certainly right about the lack of a street portion of the test for all the bikes -- as understand, they did not get all the bikes for the time needed -- I guess e-zines still do not have the clout of print mags.

Of course, since I also subscribe to several of those print mags, I don't really feel deprived by the lack of JBs feedback regarding day-to-day suitability of the latest naked Yamawakuzi. I read this site for it's different spin -- including JB's rants and the reader response to same. If I were counting on it for my primary source of hard info, I might ***** too.

Cheers

Old 09-26-2002, 02:52 PM   #8
rsheidler
Founding Member

jeezus -- you censored "BlTCH" -- WTF is with that!!!! But you let "phuck you" slide -- I am obviously being censored by a machine!