Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 09-16-2002, 06:47 AM   #51
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Re: Nicky Hayden will contest the 2003 MotoGP

Well, that's it for being able to see Nicky in person at a race. Screw the FIA for not having any GP's here. We're the largest single motorcycle market in the world, with by far the deepest pockets. We should have two GP's. Yet we're relegated to watching GP races at 2AM on a now-NASCAR-controlled cable station that's usually only offered as some sort of premium package.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-16-2002, 07:43 AM   #52
rsheidler
Founding Member

I agree, and I bet that if Honda had the chance to do it over, they would prefer that scenario as well. My take on it is:

1) earlier in the season, Colin's bike was not competetive, and Honda Europe (who run the WSB effort) were considering bailing for next year. Having previously been rebuffed in efferts to be considered for Honda's GP1 team, he begins discussions with Ducati.

2) Honda had no intention of signing a non-Spanish/Italian/Japanese rider for GP1 -- probably for totally non-nationalistic reasons. That is where all the sponsorship $$$ comes from for GP. From what I understand, most of the budget for GP teams comes from these outside, non-motorcycle industry, sponsors, rather than the manufacturers. Look at the attendance figures for GP races in Italy and Spain vs anywhere else. GP racing is HUGE there and that is where the sponsorship money comes from. Golden rule -- the ones with the gold make the rules.

3) Honda (US and Corporate, but especially US) about had a *****-fit over the thought of Nicky, who is not only an outstanding rider, but a very popular rider -- a PR agents wet dream -- going to arch-rival Yamaha was just too much to take. Since Yamaha had offered a GP ride, Nicky may not have been willing to walk away from that offer to ride a WSB Honda -- especially if, as has been widely reported, Honda Europe plan a lower-key effort in 2003 (which is why Colin bailed in the first place).

4) Colin's problem is that he had already jumped to Ducati before there was any indication that Honda might back down on the idea of a US rider on their GP team -- plus, he did not have the political clout of Honda US pushing for him.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 08:00 AM   #53
rsheidler
Founding Member

Actually, SpeedTV have nothing to do with the video feed -- the organizers control that, generally contract with the local (usually government-owned) TV company to actually do it -- and they make that feed available to everybody who pays to carry it.

If you are in Europe where cable carries virtually all western European channels, you can switch to the same race in at least 1/2 dozed different languages, but all have identical video feed. (WSB, Formula 1, World Ralley Cup etc all have same deal).
Old 09-16-2002, 08:11 AM   #54
rsheidler
Founding Member

I agree, it is a effing shame to not have at least one GP here. As you point out, this is a huge motorcycle market. However, most of the sponsorship in GP is Spanish or Italian, and they obviously get more for their money in Europe. Still, they would get at least as much from the TV coverage as in places like Malasia and Brazil.

As for 2am coverage of GPs -- I am confused -- I get almost all 250 and GP1 sometime between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm on Sunday (125 is something else, but there is little US interest in this class, unfortunately so that is not a big surprise). Do different cable companies move SpeedTV coverage to different times? I get mine via dish.

Considering the relative sized of fan base compared to NASCAR, CART/IRL etc, I feel pretty fortunate to get that much of what for me is prime time coverage for motorcycle racing.

If I had to get up at 2am to see the races, however, I would share your view.
Old 09-16-2002, 08:49 AM   #55
KawiClark
Founding Member

Default Re: Go Nicky!!!!!!!!

Eric is back.....

http://venus.13x.com/roadracingworld...sp?insert=4186
KawiClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 08:50 AM   #56
KawiClark
Founding Member

Default Re: Go Nicky!!!!!!!!

Whoops, wrong link. Here's the right one.

http://www.amasuperbike.com/2002-Sep/020916c.htm
Old 09-16-2002, 08:53 AM   #57
KawiClark
Founding Member

Default Re: EBOZ resigns with Kawasaki......Schweet!

http://www.amasuperbike.com/2002-Sep/020916c.htm
Old 09-18-2002, 10:00 AM   #58
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Well, I guess those comments about broadcast times don't apply to the Speed Channel. I know that back in the days of watching motorcycle races on ESPN or Fox Sports, they would show these races at all hours of the night, if at all, which has now come to be not at all. The last time I saw a motorcycle race on TV (other than Speed) was Daytona 2001. Lame. I am kind of confused about why they don't think these races are profitable to broadcast----the AMA/WSB classic at Laguna Seca has the highest attendance of any event held at Laguna. You would think that they could get a few more people to watch this on ESPN rather than the national cheerleading championships. Oh wait, then again, maybe not.......
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote