Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 09-15-2002, 05:41 AM   #31
Jimi_Dee
Founding Member

Default Re: Nicky Hayden will contest the 2003 MotoGP

While Hayden is certainly good enough to be in MotoGP, I am not sure I understand the commercial strategy Honda is employing here by taking him out of the USA. He would be defending his No. 1 AMA plate and carrying the Honda banner high. It would seem that for the most promotional bang-for-the-buck they would leave Nicky in the US where he dominated on his RC-51, rather than have him compete against Rossi, who is already carrying the company's water in fine fashion.

Maybe Honda is seeing the writing on the wall next year with the infusion of the 1000 cc in-line fours...its v-twins will not be so competitive. So who do you think will be Hayden's replacement...Tommy or Roger Lee?
Jimi_Dee is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-15-2002, 05:45 AM   #32
Jimi_Dee
Founding Member

Yeah, learning those NASCAR tracks is tough for those good ol' boys...lessee...left, left, left...

!
Old 09-15-2002, 05:47 AM   #33
dcopp
Founding Member

No more Nicky Hayden burnouts in the "S" at Mid Ohio... That really sucks. Good luck to him in GP, now if only we can get them to show GP racing at a time when I can watch it, or any time for that matter. NASCAR TV just don't get it.
dcopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 05:57 AM   #34
Jimi_Dee
Founding Member

Default Re: What about Colin?

Maybe they do worship him, as it makes economic sense for Honda to keep Edwards in WSB (if he stays with them). However, it also seems to make sense to keep Nicky in the AMA series where he was dominant. Honda needs Edwards in WSB as he was the only one to be able to do battle with Bayless. But does Honda need Nicky in MotoGP when it already has Rossi?
Old 09-15-2002, 06:35 AM   #35
Cozine
Registered Member

Straight!?! Left?!? Dammit, BillyBob, I'm lost!

HAHAHA
Cozine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 06:31 PM   #36
surfimp
Founding Member

For those of you wondering what's up with Nicky going to MotoGP (as opposed to defending his No. 1 plate in AMA Superbikes): according to this story over on SpeedTV.com, Nicky's contract was up, Yamaha was offering a MotoGP ride, and so he basically pressure Honda into matching that or losing him. Clearly he's ready to move up to the next level, although I'm pretty suprised he's jumping straight to MotoGP and not to SBK. I think he's gonna be eaten alive, especially after seeing him ride against the SBK guys at Laguna Seca, and I say this loving the guy. But we'll see.

I think Edwards would've been the far more "obvious" choice to send to MotoGP, and I bet Honda felt the same way, but they didn't want to lose a superstar (at least in the American market) like Nicky, and so Edwards, their workhorse, got the hose. That kinda sucks.
surfimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 06:49 PM   #37
NoKneeDown
Founding Member

Didn't Haga do a year in MotoGP?? What happened there. Does anybody recall when the donut-buring Alex Zanardi was sent by Honda from CART to F1? Let's just say the results weren't fantastic. I hope Nicky adapts well because I want to see him do well more than anyone, but the record does not preceed him.
NoKneeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 08:31 PM   #38
badinfluence
Founding Member

I hope Nicky and Honda are making the right choice. He is a great talent, but I think he needs to sharpen his skills more before going Moto GP. 1) It is way different, GP riders are cut from a different cloth than Superbike riders. 2) Although Nicky is talented, he is not Valentino Rossi, yet. Maybe Nicky should go WSBK first?

Then Ben Bostrom leaving WSBK and coming back to AMA Superbike. What's up with that? I don't think that Ben has ever had the support of Ducati Corse in that Troy Bayliss had. There is no doubt in my mind that Bostrom's bike was down on power compared to Bayliss'. It will be interesting to see how he handles the Honda here in America, with Nicky's old team. Especially at Laguna Seca when the World comes to America.
badinfluence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 09:21 PM   #39
rkdub
Founding Member

I agree with the comment earlier about Nicky going with the 250 GP platform first. Nori Haga, an extremely fast 4-stroke superbike rider came away with an extreme disappointing season after being thrown into that mix in similar fashion.
rkdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 09:23 PM   #40
DucButt
Founding Member

BBoz's bike certainly isn't down on power to all the teams using last year's 998, but they beat him at Assen as well - not to mention Hodgson, who is also on an older 998 with Dunlop tires. Can't blame the team or the bike for lack of rider motivation.
DucButt is offline   Reply With Quote