Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 09-13-2002, 07:15 PM   #21
NastyBeans
Founding Member

Default Re: Nicky Hayden will contest the 2003 MotoGP

This has to be a slap in the face to Edwards.

Clearly he wanted to move to MotoGP but seemed frustrated that Honda "only hired Spanish, Italian, and Japanese riders at that level due to the majority sponsorship coming from those countries". This from an interview of Edwards when it became clear he was going to Ducati after riding for Honda for so long. Even the language in the press release from Honda seems to indicate that they want to show that they are not favoring the 3 countries mentioned above.

Gotta say though, it will be good to have another American in MotoGP and riding the RCV. Go Nicky.
NastyBeans is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-13-2002, 07:45 PM   #22
jmeyn
Founding Member

Yeah. I didn't register that the RRWorld announcement quoted a "reliable Japanese source", not Team Repsol. Some scoop, huh?
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 09:07 AM   #23
CONMAN
Founding Member

First off, I'm a Yamaha fan and I hate they lost

out on Nicky riding on there GP bike. It looks like Yamaha is dragging their feet and won't sign a superstar. I wish Nicky the best of luck,

but I think it will take him a season before he

comes really competitave. He will have to learn a new bike and alot of tracks. Maybe he

should do like John Hopkins and play some of

the Moto GP video games to help learn the tracks. Moto GP on X-box is great
CONMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 09:13 AM   #24
runner00
Founding Member

I will be tuning in to check Nicky out. I don't know how much it matters but this is not good for the competitive nature of the sport. Honda is so dominant and this is going to make them that much more so. I'll still be tuning in though.

I'm betting that some day Nicky will be clearly be considered the best in the world.
runner00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 11:22 AM   #25
easyriderT177
Founding Member

Haydon is a good rider but Edwards is the one who could challenge for the title. He was setting faster times on the RC during development than Rossi. Edwards is do his chance consistent and fast as anyone one out there. Its a shame he switched to Ducati but I will still be in his corner. There is still a title to win this year yet.
easyriderT177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 11:58 AM   #26
vfrpinckney
Founding Member

Default Re: Edwards is pissed

A quote from Edwards:

"I'm looking forward to Imola, but after that, with all this ***** that's goin' on with Honda, I just need to go home and relax. It feels like someone's ripped their foot out of my ass real fast!"

I hope he does go to Ducati and that he is able to score a ride on their GP bike after another season in WSBK. He deserves it (but I'd still like to see Bayliss win at Imola).
vfrpinckney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 12:35 PM   #27
LonGene_Leonard
Founding Member

I have a few comments to make about the MotoGP as they relate to Nicky Hayden, Eric Bostrom, and Collin Edwards.

1) I'm delighted that HRC decided to include an American in its MotoGP lineup. I, for one, would never have purchased another Honda product had Honda not allowed Nicky to join the MotoGP in 2003. Futhermore, have no illusions, Nicky Hayden is everybit as talented as the top 5 or 6 MotoGP factory riders. Hayden came to VIR in 2001 and 2002 new to the track. Hayden holds the track record. I've done a track day on the VIR North Course. It is as technical as any European track. MotoGP and Rossi are in for a big shock this coming year: Hayden, Bayliss, and E Bostrom!!!!

2) Can everyone please stop whinning about Eric Bostrom not winning the championship because he rides an old platform. Riding an old platform has advantages. First, its sorted!! Just ask Matt Mladin!! When Suzuki introduced the 2002 GSXR-750, Matt stopped winning races. According to Mladin, "Everytime I get on it coming out of a corner, the thing tries to through me off". That being said, Eric is an extremely talented rider. If the Green Team can sort the new V-4 before the season begins, Eric should be competitive!!

3) Last but certainly not least is Collin Edwards. As I mentioned above, the MotoGP has 6 six top riders. Collin is a better rider than the bottom 3, and equally as talented as the top three. Honda is insane if they let Edwards walk. Honda is equally insane if they fail to put Edwards on a V-5 for 2003. Honda and MotoGP: stop playing politics, and allow the best to compete with the best!! And Collin, if you have to, knock on the Yamaha door. It worked for Nicky!! With Maxx out of the picture, you may get an M-1 ride!!! Be Cool! LonGene
LonGene_Leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 05:35 PM   #28
12er
Founding Member

He'll probably be pretty close to knowing the tracks before he gets there. Well with MotoGP on the playstation 2. Many Nascar rookies use the Nascar games to get them familiar with the tracks. Not the same as being on them but you at least learn the lay out.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 03:04 AM   #29
JohnnyBandito
Founding Member

Default Ben and Eric

I wonder what's happened to Ben this year. He's obviously had a great bike (the same as Bayliss'), but has never been able to put anything together. He doesn't look hungry. The American series seems tighter and scrappier to me than WSB, so maybe this will get him back into his groove.

As for Eric, I would love to see him go to town on a competitive Kawi GP bike. Those photos we've seen of the GP greeny are pretty slick, but I doubt it'll be on the pace right out of the box. If Eric showed anything this year, it was that he has some serious drive (off the starting line), endurance (all those back to back WSB / AMA weekends that he did), and ability.

JohnnyBandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 03:10 AM   #30
JohnnyBandito
Founding Member

Default What about Colin?

No doubt. Edwards has to be pissed. He is clearly not over the hill, and he has been so loyal to Honda and good for Honda over all these years (Suzuka and his recent 5 or so wins in WSB as obvious evidence) that it makes you wonder why Honda doesn't worship the ground he walks on. It would make me sad to see him riding a Duck in WSB. In GP, that would be better - hopefully he could stick it to the Hondas and rub their noses in it.
JohnnyBandito is offline   Reply With Quote