Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 09-13-2002, 11:40 AM   #11
neoyetif2
Founding Member

Default Re: Go Nicky!!!!!!!!

I did not mean to post 3 times!!!!

I ony hit the "Ok!" button once really!

Sorry
neoyetif2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-13-2002, 12:56 PM   #12
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Nicky Hayden will contest the 2003 MotoGP

Hey, just saw on RRWorld site that per telephone conversation with Nicky, he does not know which team he will be riding for, so it does look like that is still up in the air.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 01:05 PM   #13
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Go Nicky!!!!!!!!

like we haven't heard THAT before,,anyway it should be fun to see Hayden try to keep up with Rossi, sounds like a good season coming up.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 01:13 PM   #14
rsheidler
Founding Member

>>He should spend at least one year in 250 GP and learn the tracks and countries with less pressure, and then move on to the top class<<

That is certainly a valid point of view; however, I am not so sure that 250 is still the best training for the new 4-stroke GP1 bikes. Rossi has suggested that he had to unlearn a lot of things, and I think that has been part of Biaggi's problem earlier this season (Checa, who also rides an R-1 seemed to outshine him early in the season, which is probably why Biaggi is not with Yamaha for next year). I guess we all willjust have to wait and see.
Old 09-13-2002, 01:45 PM   #15
Mashuri
Founding Member

John Hopkins seemed to do very well and he went from AMA to a 500 2-stroke. Nicky's a better rider than Hopper and has more experience. Give Hayden a year to learn the tracks and we'll see him knocking elbows with Rossi.
Mashuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 02:04 PM   #16
kill_van_kull
Registered Member

maybe a year or 2 in WSB might be better. different tracks, but higher level of competition than here on a bike that's familiar. eric bostrom did pretty well in a few WSB races this year and he's on an uncompetitive bike so nicky should be competitive there. still, i bet by the end of the season he makes the box.
kill_van_kull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 02:46 PM   #17
red-silver
Registered Member

Nicky absolutely should not spend a year on 2 stroke 250's. He is already riding an RC51. WSB times and Moto-GP times are getting remarkably close to each other.

He may need a year to sort out tracks, and to make sure he has a team, and engineers he can work with, after that ~ watch out!

This is going to get as exciting as WSB is at this very moment. Kato, Rossi, Hayden, Edwards on a Duc maybe!? I can hardly wait!

My only question is where will WSB be going, with these two series getting so close in weight specification, and lap times?
red-silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 03:11 PM   #18
rsheidler
Founding Member

>>WSB times and Moto-GP times are getting remarkably close to each other<<

Amazing, ain't it. You would think with the much more free reign designers have in GP1, they would be a long way ahead of street-based (I know that is somewhat of a stretch) WSB bikes.

Has anyone heard anything lately about Hondas plans for 2003 WSB? If they pull out or scale back, WSB will be kinda lame next year. Good thing GP is shaping up to be a dogfight.

Also, has anyone seen a comfirmation of Colin's 2003 plans? I know everyone says he will ride for Ducati, but I have not seen anything definitive, or confirmation of whether this is in WSB or GP1.

Personally, given Honda/Edwards' new-found competitiveness, I'd like to see Colin remain with Honda to fight it out with Ducati next year -- otherwise it will be a Ducati parade, which is too much for even a huge Ducati fan like myself to get very enthusiastic about. I suppose it is too late for than, but then, everybody was sure Nicky was going with Yamaha, so maybe there is still a glimmer.......
Old 09-13-2002, 04:04 PM   #19
red-silver
Registered Member

There is potential for these two series to become very different from one and other, and still be very interesting in both cases.

Moto-Gp could head in the direction of the F1 automobiles, and become very, very big budget with items like pneumatic valves, traction control, computer managed clutches & gearboxes, active suspension, etc... It will still take cream of the crop riders to win it, but the manufacturers could really push the envelope.

WSB could remain essentially the cream of the spec series racers, and become on a world basis the last stop for top talent before Moto-Gp

Cart had a similar relationship to F1, before IRL , (and Cart itself)

in many ways killed the Cart series. Both F1 and Cart could be thrilling to watch. Cart was technically challenging to the manufacturers even though it was a spec series. I certainly hope it turns out that way!

My other bit of wishful dreaming is for U.S. racing even tho they have separate RR & dirt track series champions, to go back to 1 over all grand national champion ~ that's how to really make competant racers!
red-silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 04:24 PM   #20
TheFox
Founding Member

Default Checa can win a street race on a Bulldog

Crasher Carlos's primary street bike is now a Yamaha Bulldog. He got rid of his R1. Makes you smile, doesn't it?

--Foxy

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote