Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 08-23-2002, 01:36 PM   #1
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default What about "race replicas"?

We still need a world conduit that connects race bikes with street reality somehow. MotoGP racers are just too specialized to relate to roadable motorcycles in any meaningful way.

In the last decade the flow of technology from race track to street and back has been beautiful to watch: Superbikes, Supersports and FX have done a lot for us.

Thanks for the article, ElFlaco. Good show!
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-23-2002, 01:38 PM   #2
ZR-7
Founding Member

Default Re: Rumors: Superbike, GP1, and You

Racing is a waste of good money. I bought my new Suzuki Bandit 1200S because it has a great motor with lots of low-end grunt.

How many dollars are built into the price tag of every new bike to cover the factories racing team? $100, 200 or more per bike?

Philip
ZR-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 02:05 PM   #3
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Poor choice of examples.

According to the 1997 road test on the 1200S, "Suzuki's legendary GSXR 1100 engine gets bumped up to 1157cc for its role in the Bandit. Torque hits hard, low in the rev-range."

The engine and lots of other stuff that makes the 1200S great came from the race-based GSX-R series.

To sell as many bikes as they do, manufacturers have to find the best advertising they can get. Racing is one of the best and, in addition, improves the breed. Both Manufacturers and Buyers win.
Old 08-23-2002, 02:51 PM   #4
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Excellent observations.

[*]Honda, like the commercials say, races because it makes Hondas products better. It motivates their engineering staff to try new things and it sells motorcycles. Honda's founder was dedicated to racing because he knew it would keep their swords sharp
[*]MotoGP will be the place to be because as you said the rules are made years in advance. Now that four strokes are in the mix there is a real world connection i.e. Race on Sunday sell on Monday
[*]Kawasaki did not pull a Yamaha because its ZX-7R was still somewhat competitive but smartly decided not to upgrade ala Suzuki because they probably saw the writing on the wall for 750s[*]
[*]The rules should be simple: 1000 cc limit, no turbos, no restrictor plates, no weight limits. MotoGP rules are closer to this ideal. WSB I suspect is dominated by Ducati and that is why purposed rules on 4 cylinder bikes will have the restricter plate nonsense
[*] The only reason why Honda made the RC51 was because of the rules against inline 4 s in WSB. If the rules change to level the playing field for greater than 2 cylinder bikes watch for Honda to discontinue racing the RC51

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 02:55 PM   #5
KPaulCook
Banned

Default MotoGP racers now are more connected to street use

You are correct that in the past MotoGP bikes were not connected to the street. But I think that is because they were all 2 stroke. I think now that we are in the new era of the 4 stroke machines you will see the connection in the future. i.e. There will be a street version of the V-5 from Honda, 4s of Yamaha, Ducati, 3s of Aprillia etc. WSB rules were rigged for Ducati.
Old 08-23-2002, 02:57 PM   #6
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Poor choice of examples.

Agree. Racing makes engineers push the limits of technology.
Old 08-23-2002, 03:00 PM   #7
mattg
Founding Member

It has been said that racing improves the breed. We need production based racing to keep the showrooms interesting. Even the new cruisers (the V-Rod especially) are being influenced by race bikes. If WSB doesn't get their act together soon, how many more teams will bail? The technology that is developed for racing is simply mind boggling, and a great deal of that does work it's way onto the street in one form or another. Lose racing, and the chances are pretty good that we will lose all of that rapid advancement and the improvements we see to the street bikes will slow to a trickle. Is there anyone who wants to see that happen???
Old 08-23-2002, 03:32 PM   #8
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Re: MotoGP racers now are more connected to street use

God, I hope so. But we're talking about bikes so exotic and expensive that only the engineering principles really translate into a street-rideable product. They can't sell the same materials, tolerances and setup capabilities at a streetable price. Accessories, tires in particular, are another story.

Homologation forces the manufacturer to produce a street model that can be translated realistically into a racing machine. Essentially, if they want to improve the racer they must improve the replica.

As a fan of the 1960s Honda CB305, I couldn't imagine such a machine as the CBR600F4i. It's a wonderful world.

You're right about Ducatti, but I'm talking about a general need; the current WSB organization sucks.
Old 08-23-2002, 03:50 PM   #9
elitegeezer
Founding Member

goose. Have you ever been to a GP? Watched one on telly? nuff said.
elitegeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 06:08 PM   #10
obandoj
Founding Member

Without racing your 1200 Bandit would be a smoking, unreliable, underpowered hunk of junk, obviously you have no technical background of any sort, I feel sorry for people like you, you should buy a donkey and be done with it!
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote