Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 08-26-2002, 02:51 AM   #51
doc929
Founding Member

Default Re: AMA Superbike

Almost as exciting as watching a 750 Supersport race.....
doc929 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-26-2002, 03:18 AM   #52
Gordy
Registered Member

Default Re: Rumors: Superbike, GP1, and You

Superbike got rid of the weight advantage for Twins years ago - back in the days of the Duc 888 here in the States. I believe the 750's have a small weight advantage in WSB now. Maybe it's just easier to sell an $11,000 liter bike than an $11,000 750! Does it actually cost more to build a 1000 than a 750? I don't think so. What's interesting (to me) is the Duc 9X6 relative lack of success in US SBK - they haven't even been close to a championship since the days of the 888.
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 04:52 AM   #53
jamesohoh7
Founding Member

Default Re: AMA Superbike (an accurate description of WSB)

Superstock yes, supersport, no. Supersport has some of the sneakiest mechanics in the biz... they make it their job to hide all of their work! "Nope, that's a stock-bike, damn skippy!... why's it 10mph faster than every other bike of same manufacturer?... uhhh... we use -special- slippery wax!"

The super-sport folks are also allowed to 'massage' several critical engine internals. I read recently in RRW that in the AMA (at least), they finally admitted that "we don't know what deck-height is or should be, because we're stupid morons" (o.k., not -exactly- like that ). So the manufacturers were free to monkey with this to their heart's content. It actually is a good thing now for privateers who've not been privvy to the same deck-height numbers before now anyway...

I think the other poster was aiming more towards super-stock or even 'Pure-stock' (or creation of same)... which I would think would be pretty cool, but would be -very- spooky, at least at first...with big time blow-ups and oil-downs as the companies try to shore up weak components etc... .

The reason something like that doesn't exist yet is that in comparison to SB's, these 'pure-stockers' would seem pretty weedy and would not garner a lot of 'wow-factor'... no fans == no sales.

-James
jamesohoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 06:56 AM   #54
ZR-7
Founding Member

Default Re: Poor choice of examples.

So this engine wouldn't have been produced without racing? Sorry, the factory can build anyting they want without racing. CAD/CAM and computer technology is making racing old hat.

Philip
ZR-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 06:58 AM   #55
ZR-7
Founding Member

Truimph doesn't race bikes. How do they make the Speed Triple without racing...?

Philip
ZR-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 08:20 AM   #56
grover750
Founding Member

Default Re: Jeez, What a Cheapskate

A couple points on your note about '86 GSXR's:

No, I don't one one with 100k. But I'd be willing to bet that if you gave me a NOS '86 GSXR750, I could get 100k out of it, if I rode it and cared for it like most HD owners ride and care for their bikes. Crotch rockets get the sh*t beat out of them, to use a horse term, they are run hard and put away wet. Give me an '86 HD, let me beat the ***** out of it, while only changing the oil once a year, and leaving it outside in the rain, etc, and there is no way it would make 100k. No bike would.

I've made this point many times before, but how long bikes last is not only related to their quality. How well you take care of them also has a large effect. Do you winterize? Change oil often? Take care of difficult things, like bearings? Leave it out in the rain? Snow? Heated garage?

Generally, the maintenance level bikes receive correlates to how much money the bike is worth. What a bike is worth is ruled by supply and demand, and quality plays only a small role in determining demand. What are '86 GSXR 750s worth right now? Maybe $2k? Do you think, in general, that people who spend $2k on a bike are going to take care of it? Or beat the ***** out of it?

Of course, I'm an exception to all the generalities I mentioned above. I've got a '77 CB750F with 46k on it and a '78 GL1000 with 84k. They might be worth $2k combined, probably less. I treat them right, and they never let me down.
grover750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 08:56 AM   #57
Pain_Seraphiin
Founding Member

Default Re: Jeez, What a Cheapskate

Sarnili, you are so right. I personally, don't care for cruisers, not Harley, Not Yama-Harley or Honda Harley. I just don't like big bikes. But, they are all good. My wife hates riding on my crotch-rocket, soooooo I may have to buy a couch on wheels (Harley, GoldWing, Big Beemer). Also, traffic is making my rice-burner real hard on my joints. Oh god...... After all my years of putting down a Harley, I will probably have to buy one.

Does anyone know a good tatoo shop?

Pain
Pain_Seraphiin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 09:08 AM   #58
wfowade
Founding Member

The RC 51 is not even close to the bike that Collin Edwards rides. As a RC51 owner and proud of the bike, I will be the first to admit only a few of the components carry over from the racebike to the one in my garage. Look into the race kit from Honda and you begin to get the idea: Valves, valve springs, pistons, transmission, wheels, suspension, body work, radiator-the list goes on and on. Bring your RC 51 and another $250,000.00 and you might get into the game but you probably won't be on the playing field.

Trace the Mona Lisa or take a picture. That is about the same level of similarity. Production bikes are improved by racing-no debate about that- but they are very dissimilar machines.
wfowade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 11:20 AM   #59
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Harley Hospitality/Bigotry

As a Harley stockholder I am pleased that you like your Harley. I hope you consider the V-Rod when you are in the market for a new Harley.

As for me I don't hate Harley only Harley bigots. I went on a ride the weekend up to Mount Rainer in Washington State. On the way up I saw many other riders. Being a friendly guy I always wave first. All of the non Harley guys waved back. However, only one, out of many, Harley guy waved (actually it was his wife/girlfriend on the back, she probably hadn't been indoctrinated yet). It's the undeservered/unearned snobbery, that gets me. I did have one Harley guy wave me on when it was apparent that his gang was holding me up. There was an obvious look of disgust by the others as a rode by.

Another MO reader sportbike pilot had a instance where Harley guys tried to block him as he passed. Because of his skill and the excellent handling of his Japanese sport bike they were unsucessful.

Yep you Harley guys are really good ambassadors of the sport. Get up the fracking good work.

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 08:03 PM   #60
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Check out the latest issue of .... i.e. Clean up your Bad Attitudes Harley guys

Hey pal the statement "You have related stories of several altercations. Perhaps the problem lies within." Is like the cop accusing the rape victim of asking for it. How can a wave from me start a snub by Harley guys? And the altercation I spoke about was to another MO reader. Hey I have no problems with other cruiser riders in fact I ride with several sometimes. Only Harley guys act like jerks. Check out the Letters to the Editor section in the latest issue of Motorcyclist page 17 "Bad Attitudes" So that guy must of done something to deserve it right? Clean up the brotherhood man.

By the way how many miles do have on your lifer? Are you one of those guys who ride only on Sunday with the brothers?

Regards

Pissed Squid

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote