Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 08-25-2002, 12:17 AM   #31
john
Founding Member

Default Re: Why can't the rules be simple?

No, let them go.....

you make every bike so close to the same damn thing THAT is boring. Let innovation prevail.....in the 60's they were even using 17 speed gearboxes and such as ways to win. Let them go back to that.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-25-2002, 01:07 AM   #32
Jimi_Dee
Founding Member

Default Re: What about

We can dog the WSB folks for their indecision, but this is really complicated stuff...how do you keep parity when there are so many different kinds of machines. It isn't as simple as declaring displacement ceilings. Give them a break...they are just trying to make the show as good as possible. We all know how frigging boring it is to watch one guy (Rossi) on one machine win every weekend.

What about the old saying, "What wins on Sunday, sells on Monday"? If John Q. Public can't even buy what wins on Sunday (or something that looks like it), it seems that all of the companies advertising investment in the race prgram goes for naught. Case in point was the HD VR1000.

I think Honda is softening on WSB because of the rule changes that allow 1000 cc IL4 machines...they know they will get their butts kicked with the RC51. This goes for AMA racing as well, Nicky or not.

I still think that Formula USA Superbike racing is far more exciting than any other because they have HP limits...which may be the way to go for these other racing bodies. I do wonder why Formula USA is not more popular?
Jimi_Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 04:22 AM   #33
mattg
Founding Member

Default Re: Why can't the rules be simple?

I don't think that anyone is suggesting that they do away with homologation. That really is the key to keeping superbike racing from going ultra-exotic such as GP racing. It also insures that the street will see some of this engineering wizardry.
Old 08-25-2002, 04:25 AM   #34
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Funny how Harley guys are insulted even when you don't even mention Harley

I thought my comments were respectful and well reasoned. You sound like you're the one with your panties in a twist.

Your refusal to acknowledge H-Ds succcess to anything more than marketing and yuppie poseurs shows you're as narrow-minded as the idiot H-D riders who hate "jap crap."

Your comments about sunny days and weekends are ludicrous of course. I ride about 8 to 10 thousand miles a year and have never had any problems with my Harley (or my Ducati for that matter, there goes that myth too!).

So Mr. KPaul, exactly how many Harleys have you owned or ridden that have allowed you to form this opinion?

cheers,

buzz
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 06:39 AM   #35
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Jeez, What a Cheapskate

I don't know if your post is directed at me but I totally have an open mind when it comes to bikes. I love all kinds of bikes and riding from sportbikes to cruisers.

I agree with you. Harleys are better suited for America's wide open spaces.

In my experience, it seems as if sportbike guys hate Harleys more than Harley guys hate sportbikes. I own both so I don't assign myself to any one group.

And don't forget H-D sells every bike it exports to Europe and at premium prices.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 08:24 AM   #36
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Jeez, What a Cheapskate

In my experiance most sportbike riders apprieciate Harleys for the style factor and history, but like more cutting edge performance, while most Harley guys think sportbikes offer incredible performance, but don't see the need to be going that fast all the time, thats been my experiance , most of my friends have a sportbike and a Harley anyway, or a harley and a couple of dirtbikes, I think what pisses sportbike guys off is the *****-don't-stink attitude that a lot of newbi harley riders display and the cruise-at-fifty parades that clog good rodes from time to time, and the I'm-faster-than-you-so-you-suck thing some squids adopt, I'm sure ticks off the HD crowd. I've found that after you've been riding a while you realize that it's all good and just go have fun,,,,,,from my narrow perspective it's more newer riders that are trying to justify their purchase and buy into a lifestyle, or show off their limited skills, and ride over their heads that are the most tiresome, I try to bare in mind they'll either figure it out or move on to some other hobby and leave us alone, I just like to ride, sometimes as fast as I can, other times just to get my knees in the breeze, but it's [almost] always about the most fun you can have with your drawers on.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 08:34 AM   #37
TheFox
Founding Member

Default VR1000 laughs

I was over at the H-D dealer the other day (I may be a sportbike rider but I can think of a couple Harleys I'd like to have) and I saw a kid's jacket on the rack for like, $150.00. On the back it said, "VR1000: Superior Racing Technology"

I had to laugh. =)

--Foxy

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 08:35 AM   #38
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Excellent post

I don't know how this AMA member will feel next post
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 08:40 AM   #39
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Funny how Harley guys are insulted even when you don't even mention Harley

It's funny how all these Harley guys also have Ducatis. Hmm I think they say they have Ducatis but don't because they think that by saying that they are more creditable. The guy didn't even mention Harley and you jumped on it as though he did. You are really silly.
Old 08-25-2002, 08:48 AM   #40
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Honda doesn't always win.

Oh longride what am I going to do with you my twin engine pal. Look at AMA and FIM Supersport. Who won AMA Supersport this year? Suzuki Last Year? Kawasaki The year before? Honda.. 600 supersport has simple rules i.e. 600cc for 4s 750 for twins. (just think if it was 600 for twins)