Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 08-24-2002, 12:27 PM   #21
Z3Coupe
Founding Member

Default Re: Rumors: Superbike, GP1, and You

El_Flaco

Great article, very nice editorial content. I agree that the decline of Superbike racing is due to the funky rules and frequent changes thereof. In contrast, the MotoGP guys did their homework, came up with solid rules, spread the word years in advance, and have done a much better job in that regard.

I guess I'm in the minority when I say that I think Superbikes should remain as 750cc Fours and 1000cc Twins - and I guess the theoritical notion that someone could build a 900cc Triple. Why not just do away with the weight advantages that were give to the twin cylinder bikes years ago as a means to make them competitive? And if that doesn't bring performance between the two back in line, reduce the minimum weight for multi-cylinder bikes accordingly until they're equal again?

And because I'm the kind of guy that like to nit-pick - the Panoz cars never used a 427. They were all small-block based engines, originally 6.0 liter units built by Roush Racing, based on the Ford Smallblock (engine family that includes the infamous 5.0L Mustang engine). Most recently they've been using engines built in-house based on the Ford Smallblock architechture but in 4.0 liter capacity for fuel economy purposes. Really a meaningless bit of information, but whatever.

Great article.
Z3Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-24-2002, 03:32 PM   #22
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Excellent post

I think you hit the nail on the head. I was at Destination Harley a few days ago and some Harley guy said to me while I was looking at the Buell Firebolt "Looks like a Jap crotch rocket" I said "How ?" I pointed at my ZX-6R. He said they all look the same. Go Figure. You're right the the superglide and T-sport look good. Oh well maybe Harley has to wait till all these guys die off or stop ridding bikes.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 03:38 PM   #23
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: AMA Superbike (an accurate description of WSB)

<blockquote>"Wow, wouldn't it be exciting watching a race between 2 or 3 Hondas and a couple of Ducatis? Not. "</blockquote>You just described this year in World Super Bike.

It should be 1000cc, no plates, no weight limit, no limit on cylinders, no turbos and no sucking up to Ducati.

Old 08-24-2002, 03:40 PM   #24
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Why limit to 2 cylinders?

Everyone knows 4 are inherently superior just kidding.
Old 08-24-2002, 03:44 PM   #25
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Why can't the rules be simple?

1000 cc period. No weight limit, No plates, no differences between 2s and 4s. Or how about any displacement. Since we are talking about roadracing and not drag racing, I am sure displacements will not get out of hand. The bike has to have usable power and have great handling.
Old 08-24-2002, 03:44 PM   #26
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Funny how YOU know nothing

First of all, you don't know anything about Harleys except what you READ, isn't that right? How many have you owned? How many miles do you have in your lifetime? As for not riding Harleys everyday, I rode mine over 15,000 miles this year so far. Is that every day? Not sure, but I bet it's more than 95% of bike owners, including you. Harleys are built to be REBUILDABLE. Read that again. The only thing I can't rebuild on my shovel or twin-cam is the bottom end. Other than that I can do 100% of the rest; engine, suspension, frame, wheels, brakes. Can you do that? I bet you can't even change the spark plugs on your bike. I ride the old shovel to work quite often, and ride it at least twice a week. Since it is a kick only, I would die laughing watching you try to start it also. Harleys are, and always will be, unique. Metrics are copies, just like you said, and still have the complicated engines that aren't as easy to service. They are imitations of an original, and therefore, essentially worthless in time. Harleys, especially older ones, are enthusiasts bikes. Guys who like to know the bike inside out and do their own wrenching will own one of those or maybe a classic Brit bike. All you did was buy a bike you know nothing about, and will end up in the trash with all it's technological wonder. You already own the one that nobody wants anymore because it's a year old, so get over it already. Bottom line; go buy a Harley and ride it for a looooong time and then come back and talk from experience. Until then be prepared to play the fool again.
Old 08-24-2002, 03:48 PM   #27
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Why can't the rules be simple?

Because with no limits the mfg. with the most money wins. i.e. Honda in GP. Boring. Make tight rules where chassis setup and riders are the difference in winning.
Old 08-24-2002, 03:55 PM   #28
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Excellent post

Funny how you are always at some Harley function taking to Harley guys. Wonder why you would be there in the first place since they are "equivalent to a 57 Chevy mfg. in 2002", right? The Superglide and T-Sport have the same outdated engine and chassis you say you hate. Please explain, since you already ranted against the Firebolt as a POS and of course all the rest just suck worse. I wonder which face is going to post next itme?
Old 08-24-2002, 08:19 PM   #29
Z3Coupe
Founding Member

Default Re: Why can't the rules be simple?

Yes and no. Problem is, if they settle on a 1000cc limit, and no other rules, how are Superbikes differentiated from MotoGP? At that point, manufacturers are likely to pick one of the two events to race in, and at least one of the two series will die out - a bad thing for racing fans!

I like the idea of keeping Superbikes at least theoretically based on something we can buy. It makes me feel good to think that technology may be happening. Superbikes need to keep that vital ingrediant - and the homologation rules, too. Maybe make homologation less stringent, but definitely keep it.

As it is, with the new 1000cc Superbike rules, the "based on a real bike you can buy" thing is the only thing that Superbikes have going for them over MotoGP.
Z3Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 12:11 AM   #30
john
Founding Member

Default Re: Jeez, What a Cheapskate

open your mind buddy. America is not the rest of the world!

Look at the most popular european bikes......mostly sportbikes, you will see. They are used as transportation, mainly. In the rest of the world, sportbikes are the performers AND quite often the beasts of burden for a commute.

If you lived anywhere else you would be cursing that electra glide as you split lanes. In america, you enjoy it.......but open YOUR mind, the rest of the world does nto benefit from america's wide open roads.