Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 07-30-2002, 05:41 PM   #1
RonXX
Founding Member

Default Re: Hoochie has brains

I don't think you guys are going to get anywhere with this. eBay is bound to have anything that will be auctioned here. We'll see though. ---FP
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-30-2002, 06:21 PM   #2
hoochie
Founding Member

The auction site is a definte upgrade from the MO Classifieds which posted thousands of adds per month - way more than eBay. Furthermore, the classifieds login system was not integrated with the current MO login, making them more bothersome to use. Don't get me wrong, I love eBay. I go there every time I want to see the same item listed six times in a row at near-retail price.
hoochie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 08:20 PM   #3
KPaulCook
Banned

Good work Hoochie.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 04:32 AM   #4
pplassm
Founding Member

Good luck, but you don't have the "critical mass" that eBay does. I think you should have stuck with your standard classifieds, and built a better search engine for it.

Old 07-31-2002, 04:42 AM   #5
DurangoKid
Founding Member

Ah the joys of working for a small company...

...the company needs everything and anything you do is an improvement.

My only criticism (read: suggestion) of the auction format is the same as my criticism for the classifieds section.

It's not easy to find what you are looking for.

My suggestions would be to separate bikes by brand and then by state and not by year and region. Separate parts from bikes. Include a wanted section.

Take a look at this site.

http://www.ibmwr.org/market/

This format is very intuitive.
DurangoKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 07:11 AM   #6
runner00
Founding Member

Someone, with power, at MO has his or her head buried up their own ass. Don't fell too bad ...most people do. It's nice when you come out for air, and what the hell why not stay out all together.
runner00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 08:03 AM   #7
ValkBandit
Registered Member

Default Readers can be such a$$holes ...

jeez .... what's wrong with some of the readers of this pub? talk about latent hostility. i can only assume they ain't been gettin any lately.

it's ok to say, "your bidding program ain't for me. i prefer e-bay."

but to slam you for giving it a try seems awfully childish. so let me say this: congrats for giving this a try. i'll be checking it out for myself, with an open mind.
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 08:30 AM   #8
Steven_Verschoor
Registered Member

The SEARCH funtion seems to work well. Hard to be sure given there is only one auction at this time, but I tried different things.

I searched on words in Sean's auction title, eg, "championship," or "honda," and his bike showed up in the search.

Then I searched on words in the body of his description, eg, "billet," or "new," and again Sean's bike showed up in the search results.

Then I thought maybe Seans bike might be showing up simply because it's the only one up for auction at this time, so I searched on "guzzi." The search found zero auctions.

Finally, I searched on word fragments, eg, "champ," or "pion," and again Sean's bike showed up.

So with some thoughtful searching, folks should be able to find what they want.
Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 09:27 AM   #9
hoochie
Founding Member

Yes, the search function is advanced. A search will pull from keywords in the text of the auction, not just from the title or category. This gives the seller more power to be found.

There is quite a bit of intuitive LOGIC that you won't ever see to appreciate behind this auction.

I like those classifieds Durango. Good news, now that the foundation is there: it's cheezy easy to adjust categories in the acution for better usability.

Go have coffee all you mean people who suck. Then, if you still insist on venting from your cowardly keyboard, send in some exemplary URLs that have worked for you.

hoochie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 09:30 AM   #10
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Readers can be such a$$holes ...

Amen. I agree.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote