Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 07-18-2002, 02:43 PM   #61
oldtim
Founding Member

Default Re: REDVOLUTION Ducati 999

Wow, really? I think it is drop dead gorgeous! The most beautiful Duc I have ever seen and one of the most stiring bikes to date. But hey, beauty in the eye of the beholder and all that.
oldtim is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-18-2002, 02:49 PM   #62
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: This is what happens when....

Well that explains everthing. What do the French know about bikes. Wasn't bike manufacturing discouraged by the French government after WWII n favor of farming equipment?? I hope the Italians aren't taking this Euro thing (one big happy family) to politically correct extremes. When it comes to designing bikes for Ducati it should be a passionate I ride my red bike everday Italian. If you want a dress for a super model you go to Paris.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 03:32 PM   #63
nator
Founding Member

Re: how much?

What's the old saying:

If you have to ask.......
nator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 05:07 PM   #64
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Remember when.......

Right on redexces you go guy.
Old 07-18-2002, 05:12 PM   #65
KPaulCook
Banned

Excellent series of posts I learned a lot. Us kids need to hear that . Some think everything started with Ducati. It is refreshing to hear another view point.
Old 07-18-2002, 05:18 PM   #66
KPaulCook
Banned

Wow Bear good post an RC51 starts look might pretty good when you look at those numbers.
Old 07-18-2002, 11:09 PM   #67
richardnixon
Registered Member

Default Re: This is what happens when....

Terreblanche is South African. So the anti-French slurs are a little out of place.

I agree that the Bimota Mantra was an unattractive motorcycle. I think that most of the motorcycles from Aprilia are either visually bland (Mille) or a complete mess (Tuono, Caponord, Falco). The only Aprilias that I think have pizazz and elegance are the Blue Marlin and the Futura.

I think that the 999 is a fantastic update to the 916/996/998. Clean. Sleek. Different. Many new and existing (KTM Duke II headlights) design elements molding into a cohesive form.

I think Terreblanche is doing a great job at an uneviable task. Replacing an admitted gorgeous, successful and popular motorcycle, the 916/996/998. His track record so far at Ducati has some wonderful results (Supermono, MH 900e), some ugly ducklings (900SS) and some simply average bikes (ST2/ST4). That said I think that he is coming into his own with some exciting new bikes for Ducati's future. The ST line has grown on me and I am excited about the rumoured replacement for 2003. The Multistrada is super cool in both form and function. But the best of the lot so far has to be the 999.
richardnixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 11:18 PM   #68
richardnixon
Registered Member

I have to disagree. The Mille has a lovely swingarm, but mostly looks like a Japanese sportbike with a very few add on bits like retro taillights substituting for any real design flair. It's a very conservative and smart approach. Because of its visual similarity to most other sportbikes the Mille is immediately accessible to a broad audience of potential buyers. But, the Mille's bland looks will do very little to win the kind of lust and loyalty the Ducati has managed to inspire amongst their buyers. 10 - 20 years from now it will blend in with many of the other bikes of this period. RC51, GSXR1000, Fireblade, Mille.

People will certainly remember the 916/996/998 very fondly and I believe that the 999 design is a worthy successor.
richardnixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 02:31 AM   #69
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Hmm..... a classic case of not answering the questions. The NR was a "nothing". Engineering was worthless as it's "V8 performance" didn't do much for it on the track eh? Rumor was it handled like a brick with wheels also. Was that another "technical merit"? The only thing "clear to most observers" is that you can "claim" anything is a copy if you stretch far enough. You have stretched quite a bit on this one. To sum it up the only thing the Duc and that Honda have in common was 2 wheels, and I'm sure you will find a way that somehow Honda invented those too.
Old 07-19-2002, 02:34 AM   #70
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Search?

Does riding an Intruder make one like this?? Hope he remembers clutch on the left and brake on the right.