Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 07-18-2002, 08:37 AM   #51
KPaulCook
Banned

Default You are probably right

You make a great point. It probably looks better in the flesh i.e. in 3 dimensions. I felt the same way about the new Interceptor until I sat on it.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-18-2002, 09:04 AM   #52
SR29
Founding Member

Default Re: REDVOLUTION Ducati 999

I agree the price point is crutial. Personally I feel the $17K price point, if the 999 is priced like a 998, is already very difficult to support. If Ducati tries to price the 999 beyond that they might as well forget it. Particulary since they didn't give us the 999s motor as standard in the US.

SR29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 09:06 AM   #53
ziras
Founding Member

Default Re: REDVOLUTION Ducati 999-what did they DO!!!

Hate to be a cynic...but hey I'm a New Yorker. Can't help but think they Yuppie-ized the Duck. The corp schpeel about how the lower seat height and raised bars were merely a result of performance enhancements just doesn't ring true. Not to say the slight raising and lowering will make one lick of diff on the street...99.99999% of us out there are lucky to squeeze 70% of the potential out of our sportbikes...but it just seems like they tried to make this bike a little more "livable" for day to day use...looks like the hardcore trackday'r or club racer are riding ***** this year.

Also, what's with the rip-off F4 bodywork? I know the "family" connection but it just seems like a bit of a letdown after the purely original design of the 916/96/8. Then again, I guess anything would be a letdown. Sequel is never as good as the first. (Except Empire Strikes Back)

The best thing that ever happened to Duc was when the TPG group bought em out, but it seems to have gone wrong somewhere in the boardroom where they give the Yeah or Ney to a new design. (The current 900SS, S4 sporttourer, and the Multistrada...3 straight losers in the looks dept)

But hey...eye...beholder...just my .02

Ziras
ziras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 09:22 AM   #54
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Remember when.......

"but aren't we talking about design here?

No, you were talking about "copying" designs and "respect". The Ducati was an original that won championships, which earns that "respect". Honda just copies and outspends the competition, or makes a bike and then never sticks with the design. Ducati never changed and had a philosophy and design that stood the test of time. Where is the NR750 now? If it was so good why did they abandon the design?
Old 07-18-2002, 10:49 AM   #55
SlowBear
Founding Member

Captain,

I agree with your points but I think you need to look at maintenance as much as original price. As long as Ducatis have that silly valve train they will cost a mint to own.

Take a look at page 45 of the July '02 Cycle World. As JB points out, $583 (just for the valves!) every six thousand miles ain't cheap. Throw in the payments, tires, the occasional carbon fiber fix, etc. and the total is pretty frightening whether the base price of the bike is "only" $15K or $17K.

The bottom line is that 8 valve Ducatis will always be for people with deep pockets. We po' folk will ride 4-valve Ducks or an other brand unless Ducati builds a slightly lower range version with conventional valves.

SlowBear
SlowBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 11:43 AM   #56
redexces
Founding Member

Default Re: Remember when.......

Hmm... a classic case of defensiveness here. There is a difference between design as it applies to artistic merits, and engineering design. The NR had both: oval pistons, 8 valves per cylinder, V8 performance, etc. But technical merits aside, it's clear to most observers where the artistic cues used in the 916 came from.
redexces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 01:56 PM   #57
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Default Search?

Yes, it's very difficult to find the pictures from the ducati website. You actually have to place your mouse pointer over the HUGE banner near the top of the screen and Left Click! Take care not to strain anything, and hopefully your computer can handle this CPU capacity-draining task.

Jeez

luvmyvfr
luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 02:11 PM   #58
stormcloud
Founding Member

Default I stand corrected...sort of

Yep, must agree that the NR750 had the single sided swingarm and underseat exhaust.

The single sided arm debut in the RC30, too.

However, Ducati put it into production at a time when you couldnt buy an RC30 (I believe production stopped in 1992) and certainly not an NR750 (only a handfull made and well over 100,000 in todays $).

No other bike at the time was sold with all these features (not one I can remember anyway). It was the only high performance twin and also had unique engine performance characteristics and sound.

1994 was a time when the RC45 was just being introduced, Yamaha had it's YZF750 and FZR1000, Suzuki still had its pre-beam frame GSXR's, Kawasaki the ZXR750 and ZX-9R.

There really was nothing else like the DUCATI available.
stormcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 03:25 PM   #59
zrx_doug
Founding Member

This is the nicest compliment Ducati could pay to Aprilia. Copy the swingarm, the seat and some of the tail. make the geometry the same. I guess Aprilia was really getting it right, copy cats.....

Doug Basinger
2000 Suzuki TL1000S
TLOC #236
zrx_doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 03:39 PM   #60
KPaulCook
Banned

Yep you're right on dude. I think your are the first to put it all together. Good catch. Millie is a much prettier lady too.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote