Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 07-17-2002, 10:02 PM   #31
stormcloud
Founding Member

Default Remember when.......

I remember when I first saw motorshow pictures of the 916. I thought it was ugly.

Later, I changed my mind as more pictures came out.

When I saw one in the flesh, I was stunned. It was SO beautiful.

I am starting to like the 999.

I wondered how you could ever have the same impact as the 916. It had so many unique design features at the time - the swingarm, shape of the lights, underset exhausts.

Lets see how opinion goes.

Still, I think 'once beautiful, always beautiful' and will always love the 916.

stormcloud is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-18-2002, 01:55 AM   #32
shash_what
Founding Member

Default BLEEEURGHHH!!!

Hey Ducati, I have some advice for you. Why don't you take this bike and stuff it up Mr. Terblanche's @$$ ? Honestly, if humans had the ability of inter-mingling their senses, then I'd probably have had a cloth pin on my nose just for looking at it. It stinks that much.......

Designed using 3D CAD tech.? Hell, I could design this in Photoshop. Cut'n'paste the rear end from the Multistrada, cut'n'paste the lamps from the Mondial Piega, Cut'n'paste the midriff from any '80s jap bike. And oh yeah, they actually have a soup ladle for a sidestand!

What Ducati should do is take the 998, rip out the engine, stuff it with the 750 and 900 ss engines and sell it for a song, obviously with a less extreme riding position and softer suspension. That will take care of the people who want to buy a Ducati. The rest of us, who want to buy an italian piece of art, hitch a ride to the nearest MV showroom.............
shash_what is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 03:01 AM   #33
doc929
Founding Member

Default Re: REDVOLUTION Ducati 999

Do you want some cheese with that wine? Styling is personal. I personally think the new bike's design is gorgeous. The only element I am not thrilled about is the exhaust. A more comfortable Duck? Fantastic! Having to put up with the ergos on the 916 series on the open road was brutal. Easier, less frequent servicing. Outstanding! Kudos to Ducati and Terblanche for pulling off the impossible, imporving the 916.

Mike
doc929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 03:58 AM   #34
DialedIN
Founding Member

Default Re: Pictures??

Did I miss the pictures somewhere? I know its been a moment, already??
DialedIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 04:58 AM   #35
FloridaSteve
Founding Member

Default This is what happens when....

This is what happens when you let a frenchman design an Italian bike. Who ever told this guy he had talent? Remeber the bike "The Mantra"? It was supposedly designed for American "tastes". Probably the ugliest bike ever built. I can't believe that in all of italy they couldn't find a better designer. Steal someone from Aprillia if you have to.... Sheeessshhh....
Old 07-18-2002, 05:02 AM   #36
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Read it again

He posted http://www.ducati.com/. It's all there.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 05:24 AM   #37
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default We are missing the point

I've studied the release documents. The whole point is that they designed the bike to be tailored intimately to the rider. The shapes many of you dislike are the result of moulding a human body to the tank behind the windscreen. They focused on riding dynamics, body balance, easy fore and aft weight shift and comfort at full tuck.

In short, the point is to integrate the bike and rider into one dynamic system. It's not a styling exercise.

Beauty is as beauty does. I'm waiting for a full MOnty road and track test and I expect an eye-opener.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 05:57 AM   #38
Zapata
Founding Member

I'll agree on this one -- the new VFR is easier on the eyes than the 999. But my gawd, what an awkward looking bike! Now there's every reason to pick up an Aprilia Mille.
Zapata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 06:22 AM   #39
redexces
Founding Member

Default Re: Remember when.......

The 916 although very comely was not unique in its styling and design features. Check out shalbleib's second post 7/17....he's right, Honda predates the 916 with the NR750, a beautiful design but because it's not "Italian", Honda didn't get the credit or respect it deserved.
redexces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 06:23 AM   #40
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I'm not sure I could fit on this new model, but I sure couldn't fit on the old one. Bending into a pretzel to ride a Ducati is one of the main reasons I, and possibly many others, have never owned one. I took a 900 SS out last year for 20 mins and it was terribly uncomfortable. I did like the torquey motor and it handled very well. The new one looks interesting enough, and I find the copycat comments especially entertaining. Whenever a new style comes to motorcycling, it usually accused of copying someone else or being ugly. I know that seeing a bike in person is 100% different than seeing it in a picture. I will wait until I get up close and personal before passing judgement.