Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 07-17-2002, 12:26 PM   #21
sherm
Founding Member

Default Re: REDVOLUTION Ducati 999

Anyone know the price?
sherm is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-17-2002, 12:35 PM   #22
buckfifty
Founding Member

It's pretty amazing to me how conservative the motorcycle world can be when it comes to a pair of headlights... Terblanche should be commended for daring to create something bold and different. Yeah, it looks different than the 998, and yeah, it doesn't look anything like the current crop of UJS (universal japanese sportbikes), but what a look- absolutely spartan and stripped clean, it looks more focused on winning at the track than it does on showing off to the local squids. I'd buy one.
buckfifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 02:13 PM   #23
Captain_1
Founding Member

Ducati, bring back Massimo Tamburini. While the 999 has some (stolen) August F4 styling elements, the balance is pure Honda. What a shame.
Captain_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 02:35 PM   #24
bimota
Founding Member

Default A Red Benelli!?

It looks a lot like the Benelli Tornado to me.
bimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 03:58 PM   #25
Benji_2
Founding Member

This is not the 999. The 999 is a beautiful work of art. This, this is a drop in sales. Oh, there is a real 999, it was just given an inline-4 and badged an MV Agusta F4. Everyone, come with me to Massimo country and ride what should have been!!!
Benji_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 04:01 PM   #26
Captain_1
Founding Member

I agree and I did.
Captain_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 04:43 PM   #27
acruhl
Founding Member

Same here. The MV appears to be the more ground-breaking bike when compared to the 999. And it came out, what, 4 years ago? Come on!

Mr. Tamburini, maybe you should make another twin just to show them how it's done...

In the meeantime, I'll keep riding my MV.
acruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 04:58 PM   #28
SlowBear
Founding Member

I read the article, looked at the pictures and read the posts. The most damning thing I can say about the styling of the bike is that I couldn't care less about it. Take off the badges and cover the trademark trellis frame and it could be a Honda, a Triumph, a Yamaha, pretty much anything but a Harley or a BMW. The 851 and 916 set standards others tried to match, this is just another bike. I'm afraid I will have to join the crowd saying the updated version of the 916 has four cylinders and says MV on the tank.

I'm sure it is a better bike functionally but Terblanche's styling is the biggest disaster at Ducati since the ugly square case bikes replaced the beautiful round case 750s back in the seventies.

SlowBear
SlowBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 06:00 PM   #29
redexces
Founding Member

Hey! Don't castigate Honda over Ducati's butt fugly 999. The new VFR may not be the most attractive bike, but it's a damn sight better than this monstrosity. It's contrived at best.
redexces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 08:23 PM   #30
SPman
Founding Member

Yes, it's probably a better bike..blah de blah de blah......just doesnt have the impact the 916 did (and still has) when it came onto the scene. - although I'm sure we'll grow to like it.

Sort of like the "old", sexy Triumph Daytona and the new efficient Daytona, that may be a better bike, but has lost something in the process..

Oh well, MV 1000 anyone?