Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 07-17-2002, 10:40 AM   #11
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Not like the GP Prototype.

Good point I like the Tornado. I think you will be right Ducati will redesign it in the future.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-17-2002, 10:45 AM   #12
KPaulCook
Banned

Default GP Prototype pics

http://www.ducati.com/docs_eng/photo...mgp/02_800.jpg
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 10:49 AM   #13
crg
Founding Member

Default Re: REDVOLUTION Ducati 999

Although I can't quote it, didn't Ducati just recently espouse the merit of the SSS (single-sided swingarm) and its importance in Ducati designs?

Sadly, it seems to take more design cues from the uninspiring multistrada than its predecessor. That said, I am a fan of the 999 shape, specifically the spartan nature of the new tailsection-exhaust.
crg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 10:49 AM   #14
shalbleib
Founding Member

But what about the exhaust? Looks kind of ugly (I guess I see the similarity to the MotoGP bike) and, as we all know, stock Ducati's don't sound particularly sexy. Looks like it could be tough and very expensive to find a decent looking and sounding exhaust.

Probably a better bike in terms of comfort and reliability, but definitely not the prettiest bike in the world. Essentially a Benelli Tornado rip-off with some styling cues from the MH900e and the new GP bike.
shalbleib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 11:25 AM   #15
shalbleib
Founding Member

While I'm at it, I never realized Ducati has such habit of ripping off styling. Like I said, this new bike is maybe a little too similiar to the Benelli, but it is nothing compared to the job they pulled with the 916:

1992: Honda releases the NR750, complete with wedge-styling, fox-eye headlights, single-sided swingarm, and underseat exhausts.

1994: Ducati releases the 916, complete with wedge-styling, fox-eye headlights, single-sided swingarm, and underseat exhausts.

Hmmm . . . Coincidence? I think not. Don't believe me? Check them out for yourself.

Now I still think the 916 was (and is) a stunning motorcycle, probably the most beautiful sportbike in history. I also understand that there are very few "new" ideas in terms of motorcycle design, but come on Ducati. Try to develop your own look instead of borrowing styles from every other manufacturer. I mean, the Multistrada may be hideous, but at least it's your own.
shalbleib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 11:56 AM   #16
Rsduce
Registered Member

WHAT DID THEY DO! From the most gorgeous bike ever to a bad nightmare. No single sided swingarm? Some things you just dont mess with. Curse that Pierre!!! Dr. Frankenstein!! See what happens when you cross a KTM Duke and a Ninja ( nothing against the Duke and Ninja).
Rsduce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 12:18 PM   #17
Forgy
Registered Member

Terblanche should be given a fair trial, then hung for crimes against nature. He let a Multistrada screw a VFR, and the end result is the new 999...

All one has to do is look at the older Supersports, Monsters, and "superbikes" (851-99 and see the design heritage that has been lost under his tenure at Ducati. He has:

- Turned the Supersport into an ugly torture rack.

- Designed the Multistrada, the world's ugliest "trailie".

- Penned the 999...

I predict 999 sales will not reach the levels of the current 916/996/998 design. Just as Supersport sales fell in general comparrison to the previous model's production run, this bad little piece of bastardized Honda styling is headed for a problem in the showroom.

Let's all hope there'll be another new model based on the the GP bike. One of the reasons (and grantedly, there are several) people buy Ducatis is style. I've owned a few over the years, and it'll be a cold day in hell before I put a 999 in my garage.
Forgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 12:19 PM   #18
Patrick-of-the-Hills
Founding Member

When talk of the 916-998 replacement started up a few years ago, I quickly resigned myself to the acceptance that the new one wasn't going to have the visual magic and drama of the current model; still, it's a little disappointing. The change to the double-sided swingarm is a genuine surprise, though.

Does anyone know anything of production schedules? Is this a proper, fall-2002 rollout, model-year-2003 bike? Has the 998 already ended production? What's to become of the 748? I'd like to think that (financial windfall pending) I might still get a chance on a dealer-new 748 before it's too late....
Patrick-of-the-Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 12:21 PM   #19
DZR
Founding Member

I think that it's important to note some of the "first impressions" from the MCN report (sorry guys!):

" I’ve only been out for ten minutes, the session has been red flagged, but already I’ve learned a lot, " he said at 9.45am UK time.

" The riding position is fully adjustable, but even on standard settings it’s loads more roomy than the old bike.

" The wheelbase is longer, but it turns faster, much quicker. It’s considerably easier to ride, and is less radical , particularly in the riding position.

" The motor is essentially the Testastretta of the 998, making 126bhp. There are some tweaks. It picks up faster and is stronger in the midrange.

" Brakes are essentially the same but it has a new master cylinder. They were good before. Now they are very very good… and it’s much more stable under braking. The old bike didn’t like to turn under braking. The new one can… it’s quite nice! "

" As far as the looks are concerned, the acid test for me is when you line the 916, 998 and the 999 up (which they have here at Misano) and you ask yourself which one you most want to ride… and it’s the 999.

" It looks awesome, fantastic in the flesh and really is a leap forward from the old bike. "

So, when the bikes are lined up, the one that is most attractive is, supposedly, the 999.

It's also interesting that he claims that it handles better than the old bike.

As a previous 916 owner, I can attest to the fact that it wasn't the most nimble thing around; this new bike changes that.

Best handling bke ever? We'll see.

DZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 12:35 PM   #20
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Photos???