Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 11-14-2000, 09:23 AM   #1
roadload
Founding Member

Default Re: Gordon Jennings to Cancer at 69

I am sorry to hear of his passing. My condolences go out to all who knew him. As a subscriber to Motorcyclist I will miss his columns. His technical knowledge regarding motorcycling was unmatched!
roadload is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-14-2000, 10:23 AM   #2
pk509
Founding Member

What a tragic loss for the motorcycling community. I loved Mr. Jennings' articles in Motorcyclist. I even used some of his data in a research paper I wrote a couple years back. I hope the roads are twisty and the sun is shining where he is now.

-Paul
pk509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2000, 10:49 AM   #3
ZRXRy
Founding Member

Damn shame, that, I (any many others) will miss Mr. Jennings' writing. Being a real gear-head, I have long enjoyed his editorial material and contributions to the magazines he worked for. At least we had him as long as we did, anyway - I wish my father got to live to 69, he was another victim of cancer at the age of 54.
ZRXRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2000, 11:07 AM   #4
FidHawser
Founding Member

Well, I can see them now. On a cloud somewhere over the Great Basin. Chuck Clayton, Floyd Clymer.....and the new kid, Greg McQuide welcoming Gordon to the neighborhood. Meanwhile, on a nearby cirrus is Harvey Mushman and the rest of the riders who've gone before us. Gentlemen and Ladies, we salute you. You are missed.
FidHawser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2000, 11:36 AM   #5
Chip226
Founding Member

My sincere condolences to Gordon Jennings family. I remember reading Cycle as a kid of 19 buying my first motorcycle in 1973, I was surprised to see him doing what he loved when I got back into motorcycles recently and saw his work in Motorcyclist. Heroes keep disappearing.

Ride on Gordon.

Sincerley,

Chip C.
Chip226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2000, 01:13 PM   #6
FrankS
Founding Member

And as a reminder to you youngsters, Parkhurst and Jennings revolutionized motorcycle journalism when the two of them were the entire show at "Cycle World" in the early 1960's. Gordon did many things superbly well, and he will never be replaced.

In this time of loss to the entire motorcycling community, I think it's also appropriate to pass along a thought in a lighter vein. Gordon did many things as an editor and writer, but he was also the inspiration to make at least one other journalist write one of the all-time inspired headlines ABOUT Gordon Jennings.

In the mid 1960's Jennings put all of his spare time and most of his spare cash into developing home-brew race bikes. It's to his all time credit that he went the way of a typical reader, trying to do it himself on a shoe string (not getting factory support, as he could have done with his press connections). One partial exception was when he got a temporary loan of one of **** O'Brien's Harley race engines, which he put into a pretty much home brew frame, along with a home brew striped fairing.

Whether Harley or the Japanese, the engine builders of that era were 'way out in front of the tire makers. Gordon had his hands full keeping that monster - with all of its 70 or so horsepower - on the track. Many folks in southern California, including me, wondered how Gordon would make out in the various road races. One weekend, Gordon was taking the Harley out on a significant race, at Willow Springs or Riverside (I can't recall which, and it doesn't matter) which I wasn't able to attend. The following week I picked up the local motorcycle weekly newspaper to see what had happened. The headline said it all:

JENNINGS UNLOADS

Best summary in a two word headline I've ever seen. Thanks for the memories, Gordon.
FrankS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2000, 03:56 PM   #7
oldmrdick
Founding Member

Sad does not begin to sum up my feelings. I called once to the office of Cycle Magazine to ask some (dumb) questions about flopping the calipers on sohc 750 Hondas, and he took the time to give me intelligent answers. He was my technological Guru, and I was somewhat daunted speaking to him. I expected the sarcastic wit he reserved for idiotic letters to the editor. Instead, I got valuable information.

I literally treasured his technical articles, and his political erudition. My greatest sympathy goes goes out to his family and to his co-staffers at Motorcyclist. I reserve a measure of sympathy for myself, as I've lost a mighty mentor whom I never met. God speed, Gordon.

oldmrdick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2000, 09:44 PM   #8
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Kaddish for Gordon...

But, man! Did that piss me off! Every time his column attacked enviro-nazis, or safety-nazis, or whatever nazi-du jour he was attacking, I would want to reach into the magazine and strangle him!

But what made me mad was that the guy KNEW WHAT HE WAS TALKING ABOUT, KNEW HOW TO WRITE, AND WAS A PERSUASIVE ARGUER! I hated his smug, "I did research, so I'm right and you're wrong" attitude, but he did change my views on electric cars and other issues.

As much as I couldn't stand him, I would read him every month, in Motorcyclist and whatever car magazine he was in. Cameron? Man, that guy can be like reading a DOS manual.

I will really miss him. He was what journalism should be about- knowing your , presenting the facts, and slanting things the way you think they sould slant.

I will miss him.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2000, 02:59 AM   #9
Lincoln
Founding Member

What can you say about a man that was a part of your teenage years, a part of your growing up? God Bless you Gordon. and Thankyou
Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2000, 04:47 AM   #10
Skorpion23
Founding Member

Mr. Jennings, to me, always kept a clear head and a firm grip on reality. He will be missed greatly.
Skorpion23 is offline   Reply With Quote