Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 11-14-2000, 10:43 AM   #11
roadload
Founding Member

Default Re: Motojournalism Woes: More Mergers

Paper Mags Internet Who cares! Its a great world inwhich we get both. Yeah some mags suck, some sites suck.

For me mags are great because when i put my beer down on the coffee table and leave one of those rings i can gently slide over the latest...and presto problem is gone.

The computer though always for interactive communication over topics (such as this one) that I would normally never stop to think about.
roadload is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-14-2000, 11:38 AM   #12
ZRXRy
Founding Member

The Brit bike mags do lots of those kinds of tests. Some material from the Ride/Bike/PM/etc family of magazines engs up on the MotorcycleWorld website http://www.motorcycleworld.co.uk/home/index.asp . Like just today I found a review of chain lubes. Unfortunately, of course they review a lot of stuff we don't get here, and vice versa.

Am I the only one who finds themselves skipping over most of the so called news (new bikes and such) in the print mags, because their lead-in times are so long that I've already seen it 2 or 3 months earlier on-line?
ZRXRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2000, 12:07 PM   #13
roadload
Founding Member

Ya Know I was wonder where my money went. The trailer needs a fixin and i am da plumb out of cash.
Old 11-14-2000, 12:10 PM   #14
blip
Founding Member

Default Re: Bad Information?

Duranedel --

Thanks for bringing up a annoying subject, one that we've overlooked for a while: Top9 and their bad reporting...

Have a look at our August, 2000 BPA Audit. MO is the only audited web site, and based on the published (thus unaudited and, we suspect, higher-than-auditable numbers) statistics of the other motorcycle content sites, we remain larger than all of them combined.

Top9 is a problem, we've been trying to get them to use real numbers for a long time. They're based on PC Data, which is a free, open panel. That is, anyone can join, intead of selecting a random significant sample of 'Net users. I've been meaning to write a distributed program that uses their data gathering client and visits MO constantly. Getting to the top of their motorcycle category is as easy as that. Not that such "troll" traffic is discarded by a real auditing company such as BPA or Neilsen I/Audit.

You work for a large company, you probably have access to Media Metrix numbers. Look in their overall Automotive category and see who the #1 site is...

Speaking of the company you work for (which you should disclose here), we posted this story because we wish any motorcycle site well, including yours. Best of luck to you...
blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2000, 12:53 PM   #15
roadload
Founding Member

Yes the internet is great but to get more than just product visit your local dealer or accessory/parts shop. here in sherman oaks, califonia the only place and i mean only place to go is REDLINE MOTORSPORTS ON VENTURA BLVD. GET OUT IN YOUR COMMUNTIES AND SUPPORT THESE PEOPLE.
Old 11-14-2000, 02:19 PM   #16
roadload
Founding Member

And what will the print mags be able to offer as technology keeps getting more and more user friendly. I meen other than looking nice on the coffee table what is there?
Old 11-15-2000, 09:01 AM   #17
Durandel
Founding Member

Default Re: Bad Information?

Youre right, I work for MotorcycleWorld.com

PCData is a reputable source, and they do audit our motorcycle site. They have a larger pool of users who they monitor than Media Metrics or Netratings, and therefore their numbers more accurately reflect the true Internet traffic.

Claim what you want about the numbers, who can prove or disprove them anyway? Im a motorcyclist with a computer science background. I know this industry well enough to know how unlikely it is for any motorcycle site to truely get 1 million unique visitors per month at this stage of the game.

I appreciate your good wishes and gotta give you props for implementing this great forum environment. Its definately tried and true, and will work well for MO in the long run. We are both successful with helping to create more knowledgeable motorcyclists. I believe that everyone here can appreciate that.

Durandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2000, 10:39 AM   #18
roadload
Founding Member

i STILL THINK THEY WILL GO THE WAY OF THE ALBUM. USEFULL TO A SMALL SUBSET OF HUMANS, JUST A FOND MEMORY TO THE REST.