Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 05-08-2002, 04:58 AM   #71
Apex_1
Registered Member

Default Re: John Burns: Monday Malfeasance

I guess this is what happens when Burnsie is freed of editorial shackles. Actually, I'm ok with it, but he is a bit of a nitwit on teh DUI stuff. Drunks behind the wheel are irresponsible a-holes and they frequently kill others--I think more often than themselves (but have no statistics to back that up). So they should be dealt with harshly. And about he cop and your kid--don't be such a ***** next time. You should have told the cop to mind his own ***** business--plain and simple. You would have felt better, too. All in all, though, it sure is nice to read John's stuff more often now at MO.
Apex_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-08-2002, 05:00 AM   #72
ZR-7
Founding Member

Hey Sport,

I hear ya... It's all in the balance of freedom and the "cost" associated with those freedoms. As you have noted, I've paid a heavy price for some idiot's freedom to drink and drive without detection.

My idea of "freedom" is to be hung with a new rope... Guess my view and ideas about "freedom" are a little "off/out of the norm" after what my family has been through. I hope nobody has to go through the same thing and have their idea of "freedom" adjusted like mine. I feel violated when I go through a check point just like anyone else. Then I start to then about the idiot's that will be caught at the same check point... Back to the balance issue.

Ride well, live long - others haven't.

Philip
ZR-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 05:04 AM   #73
mconlon
Founding Member

1) If you don't like this kind of column, how come it gets so many responses? When a post like this gets so many more responses than, say, race results, what do you think the editorial team is going to do more of? Just a thought... You don't like it? Vote with your silence--you're only encouraging him by responding.

2) In our town, one of our crack team of summer cops were busy busting a 16 yr old for smoking (tobacco), while a group of thieves were systematically looting a series of parked cars 200 ft away, before going on to do an armed robbery later in the day. Thank goodness they were doing their jobs, busting that dirty juvie smoker!

3) OTOH, you want to know why police, especially young ones are so intolerant, and so eager to enforce the letter of the law? Look in the mirror--when someone sues the state or locality because a cop let someone go who was impaired and then goes on to actually kill someone, how do you think Law Enforcement is going to react? By actually enforcing the laws. Duh. Or say you were speeding, going 30+ over the speed limit and you get pulled over and warned, instead of getting arrested as you are liable to in many locales... and then you continue speeding and wipe out a pedestrian. You can be darned sure that pedestrian or his/her relatives will pursue the state for all its worth for letting someone as dangerous as you off the hook. See what I'm getting at here? We created laws when enforcement was lax and there was a resonable amount of tolerance in law enforcement; now that they are enforcing to the letter of the law for their own protection, we don't like it. Too bad for us, maybe, just maybe, we should have listened to those shrill civil liberties types...

4) For all of you pouncing on Burns for his stance on DUI... How long do you think it will be until laws are effected to deal with those dangerous, menace to themselves and others, good-for-nothing motorcyclists? Y'know, my uncle's friend's cousin's boss once knew of a guy who was killed by one of them wheeliein', speedin' maniacs, its about time we did something about it! How 'bout some kind of zero-tolerance laws, yeah, that's the ticket--get busted doing something stupid on a bike, lose your license for a year. That'll teach 'em. Same thing: I'd be willing to bet there's a vast majority out there who don't subscribe to MO who rate motorcycling--bikers and bikes in general--right up there on the irresponsibility scale with drunk-driving...

Mike C from ME, devil's advocate...

mconlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 05:26 AM   #74
NotoriousDJW
Registered Member

JPB,

I'm probably too far down the message board for anyone to care but I'm glad to see that your getting a little closer to the heart of the problem. Trying to protect our individual freedom is the original goal of this country and makes much more sense than people trying to regulate what constitutes "gluttony". That mindset of using the government to protect us against ourselves is precisely what's wrong. Now guess who wrote the following:

"A wise and frugal government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, which shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government, and this is necessary to close the circle of our felicity. "

or this:

"The care of every man's soul belongs to himself. But what if he neglect the care of it? Well what if he neglect the care of his health or his estate, which would more nearly relate to the state. Will the magistrate make a law that he not be poor or sick? Laws provide against injury from others; but not from ourselves. God himself will not save men against their wills. "

and finally:

"I place economy among the first and important virtues, and public debt as the greatest of dangers. To preserve our independence, we must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt. We must make our choice between economy and liberty, or profusion and servitude. If we can prevent the government from wasting the labours of the people under the pretense of caring for them, they will be happy. "

Just a little food for thought....

NotoriousDJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 05:26 AM   #75
seruzawa
The Toad

Robotically putting people in jail because they break some law passed by a legisliature gets to be ridiculous. After all, legislators are too often criminal personalities themselves. The people who sit on City Councils are generally the biggest crooks in town. These clowns have created a society where it is impossible to go through a day without breaking some stupid law. I've gone to City Council meetings and have been flabbergasted at the stupid laws that morons propose and that the City council then seriously considers, rather than laugh the person out of the room.

One city here passed a law against skateboarding on sidewalks based on the complaints of one mean old b***h who didn't like the noise. Never mind that of a hundred thousand other citizens no one else complained. Also never mind that 50 people showed up to protest the law. Then the County clowns seriously considered a law that would make it illegal to own any pets except cats or dogs because some clown didn't like the noise their neighbors chickens made. Fortunately this didn't pass because someone for once used their brain and realized that such a law would ban parakeets and ****atiels and hamsters, etc. But still, these clowns were actually seriously considering it and it got a couple of votes!

If you mix Round-up incorrectly or apply it incorrectly or store it incorrectly you can go to jail for years. You can go to prison for picking up an eagle feather laying on the ground if you are not an American Indian. The Racketeering laws have only once been used to jail a mob figure, yet the Feds stretch the law to encompass any crime they can.

It is still illegal to drive your car in Salt Lake City unless you stop at every intersection, get out of your car and fire your gun in the air. I guess that means that all the people who don't do that are lawbreakers abd should be prosecuted, right?
Old 05-08-2002, 05:31 AM   #76
Shadowspawn
Founding Member

Well, I did once see a way to keep the cagers safely away from you. Riding in Tucson AZ, during rush hour, I noticed the traffic behind me parting like a wave. I was sure it would wind up being an ambulance or other similar vehicle when it caught up to me. Turns out is was another biker on a Harley. Now, remember this occured in AZ, which like my current state of TX, allow a person to transport any long gun (rifle, shotgun, etc.) in a vehicle, between counties, as long as the weapon is visible. This guy had one shotgun running down along the fork of his bike, another behind him! And about a 1/4 mile buffer between him and all the cagers. Seemed to solve any traffic problems for him....
Shadowspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 05:51 AM   #77
thebat
Founding Member

The cop situation boils down to a massive revenue hunt. Remember when Clinton signed the two billion dollar "Crime Bill"? Well, California took the allocated part of this state's money and to fight crime, put more patrol officers on the highways. Just another way to bring in more revenue. On the DUI front, even though the supposed time has passed when any measurable alcohol in your system can be considered another DUI, your record of your first DUI will stay with you, I believe I was told, for ten years. This makes it easier for the state to convict you on another DUI even if you are under the limit. In other terms, another way to soak you for all the fees, schools, insurance, and on, and on, that you get hit with. They are simply taking as much advantage as they can over the people of this state. --TheBat
thebat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 06:06 AM   #78
john_miikes_csr
Founding Member

Default In India . . .

It was written:

> In India, no one holds your hand to keep you safe from yourself

And don't forget, in India no one stops you from burning your wife to death if she fails to deliver a sun. Great place. Very civilized.
john_miikes_csr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 06:10 AM   #79
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Default Re: Hmmm.. police states and criminals and liberals?

I have spent time in and around court cases analyzing forensic evidence and my experience is counter to yours. I believe that innocent people go to jail more than any of us would like to think - especially if they are poor or a member of a minority class without access to good legal representation.

In my experience juries in criminal cases are predisposed to favor the authorities as long as their pitch is delivered in short sentences with small words and doesn't run into a meal break (paradoxically, it is quite the opposite in civil cases). I have seen police and prosecutors lie, both by commision and omission, so often that I suspect that it doesn't even occur to them that they are doing anything wrong anymore. The truth of the matter is that if the police and prosecutors think you are guilty they are not above trying to screw you any way that they can.

BTW pard, what'd you do with that Pell Grant after you got it?

martin
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 06:22 AM   #80
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

My ideas are off the norm too. When I salute the american flag I am thinking a lot more about folks like you and your family than I am generals, presidents and politicians.

mhh
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote