Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 05-07-2002, 03:06 PM   #31
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Default Re: John Burns: Monday Malfeasance

Philip,

I am, of course, sorry for your loss. As I said in my post I have suffered my own alcohol related tragedy. But personalizing an issue that is bigger than either of our own experiences does little towards bringing us to illumination. Your predicament is typical of what the authorities like to use to justify their actions on this issue (with justification). If you read my post I said that I didn't know if I agreed with Burns or not, just that I admire the willingness to engage in dialog on such an emotional issue. So in the spirit of "no flame just facts" here is my response.

Yes we could erect roadblocks at every intersection, or better yet, electronically monitor the blood-alcohol level of everyone who gets behind the wheel of a car, or maybe even better eliminate personal transportation and alcohol altogether - but all of this is at odds with the premise of a free society and crossways with a document called the Bill of Rights and at the extreme end, common sense. You suggest that roadblocks (where search without advertisement and/or probable cause is permitted) might have saved your brother. I say that if everyone were forced to ride the bus that would probably accomplish the same thing (and be better environmetially). The problem is that both measures have a cost to the rest of society.

If you want to live in a free society you are forced to confront the fact that not everyone will chose to exercise their freedom wisely. In this country we seem to have a notion that the cost of freedom is soley vested in getting someone else to carry an M-16 through a rice paddy. But the real cost, I think, is living with irresponsible exercise of individual liberty: crime, bigotry, and just plain stupidity - the type of action that killed your brother. But the alternative is to construct a society that tolerates none of this, nor any degree of individual freedom - a thing that most fascist regimes are pretty good at. Because you are a motorcyclist I cannot imagine that you would seriously entertain such a notion.

I have no problem if that's exactly what you would like to do, btw (sometimes I feel that way myself). Just pointing out the conundrum.

Peace

sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-07-2002, 03:13 PM   #32
johnnyb
Founding Member

I agree it's ridiculous. I watched with my mouth hanging open, a couple years ago, some stupid police chase show on TV. North Carolina or Georgia or some state, two cop cars take off after some idiot on a motorcycle with a woman on back--neither with helmets--and pursue them at high speed until the guy runs off the road and kills the both of them. The FUNNY part is, the cops knew the guy, it being a small town. Nice.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 03:18 PM   #33
johnnyb
Founding Member

Sportbike Pilot, will you write my column from now on?
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 03:24 PM   #34
nator
Founding Member

When the h*ll did Hunter S. Thompson start working for MO?
nator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 03:49 PM   #35
Grappelli
Registered Member

Default Re: Right on, JB!

When he was 19 a friend of mine was pushed through a stone wall in the countryside at a nice slow speed by a wandering drunk driver, who was a year older than him. Apparently he suffocated due to crushed ribs meaning he took minutes to die.

The idiot that killed him didn't expect anyone else to be on the road either.

There is no grey areas to being out of control of your vehicle to the detriment of others for whatever reason - even if you think "you can handle it"

PS. You will note that I have refrained from swearing or name calling during this reply. I did. I just didn't write it down.
Grappelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 04:05 PM   #36
Weezel
Registered Member

I beg to differ. A very weak article that threw out a few disconnected inflammatory remarks to get everyone hot and bothered about their guns, their drinking, the police state, the SUV's, and our very freedoms being usurped. Can't think of anyone it couldn't appeal to in some way. Literary pandering.

Sounds like it was written by someone with a hangover.

I'd expect more from a good writer, but then again for $11.94, you get what you pay for.
Weezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 04:24 PM   #37
sanchin
Registered Member

I agree with John's comments on the police state we now all live in. It varies dramatically from state to state, with CA,NJ,NY,MA,and MD

being the worse. Some Cops are real great folks who honestly want to make the world a better place. I got pulled over on a very deserted backroad going 50ish in a 35. The officer was polite, introduced himself, and explained why he pulled me over. After a quick check, he let me go but asked me to be careful around areas where kids might be playing. However, on my street in my little NH town, we had a cop pull a guy over on a mid 80's yamaha 650 after someone complained of someone doing wheelies ! Evil Kneivel could'nt do a wheelie on that bike but it was a good excuse for pulling the guy over.

John's venting (and everyone elses) is great therapy, but until we all quit electing the same demopublican nitwits we are screwed. If you value freedom, publicly quiz and embarrass these scoundrels with questions about god-given rights and what the constitution really means(I'll bet they don't fare well). Then vote Libertarian, or better yet run for office in your town, county, or state. Maybe we could all move to the same state and vote ourselves some decent reprehensibles, I mean representatives. I'm too old to be looking over my shoulder for blue-lights.
sanchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 04:27 PM   #38
DucButt
Founding Member

JB - although IMO Sportbike Pilot is indeed an eloquent and wise sage, I couldn't bear the thought of life without a Burnsie column - keep it up, and pass the Paxil...
DucButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 04:43 PM   #39
JOHN3COM
Founding Member

First, a disclaimer...I live in Rhode Island, or S. Mass if you prefer. But I was born, and raised in the San Gabriel Valley of So Cal.

Now, you have to realize that a police state can only exist if the people allow it. Out on the E coast, we regulate the cops by cutting thier budgets, and keeping thier agencies relativly small. Every town has its own little department, and the Staties watch the highways. There is a better chance you may know that cop on the corner, too.

But in sunny Cal, you have allowed so many law enforcment individuals, that it has now formed a life of its own, like Hal the computer, who will protect us from ourselves. They have more clout than the average citizen, now. I don't even have an answer, but I am feeling less homesick now. Maybe another Prop 13 would strangle the Man.

John2
JOHN3COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 05:37 PM   #40
sennap1
Founding Member

This free nation, now run by right-wingers who long have preached that BIG GOVERNMENT is the greatest threat to our personal freedoms, has slowly and inexorably become one huge gated community.

Under the guise of a war on drugs, we have inprisoned those whom we fear the most--young black males. (Drug sentences for crack cocaine possession and dealing are substantially higher than those for possession of cocaine, the source product,).

And, of course, under the guise of freedom, we demand that our rights to bear arms be free of ANY government regulation. while completely ignoring the small fact the second amendment specifically mentions a "well-regulated militia" in the same sentence as the "right to bear arms". This so all the suburbanites can feel safe in their typically sterile, crime-free single family homes (or their SUVs as they drive the kids to soccer practice).

We follow this by enriching the defense suppliers to build more and greater arms so that we can prevent another 9/11, while conveniently ignoring the fact that the success of the attack had more to do with a failure of intelligence and airport security than our armed forces. (And, BTW, I really felt safer with the National Guard in those airports post 9/11).

Meanwhile we rail against taxes and other intrusions into our quality of life while supporting a President whose attorney general

argues that the policing of bookstores sales records and internet traffic will prevent further terrorist actions. And, of course, the intrusion into attorney-client privilege of the accused terrorists is a "unique" situation and would never be applied to the general public.

Menawhile, the Supreme Court in its rightward shift slowly works to undo protections against unreasonable search and seizures and other protections, again, all to ensure the greater good.

It speaks volumes about a Nation when rising gas prices provokes greater outrage than the attacks on our freedoms perpetuated by our government. While we have been protecting our vaunted "quality of life" the government has slowly eroded the things we treasure most: The freedom to pursue this very same quality of life.
sennap1 is offline   Reply With Quote