Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 05-08-2002, 09:29 AM   #91
KPaulCook
Banned

Default It's simple and black & white not poltically correct OK

Facts:
[*]Drinking impairs response time and judgement [/i]
[*]Driving is a priviledge not a right
[*]Drinking is also a not a given
[*]Motorcycle piloting takes much more coordination, judgement etc than driving a car, so drinking and riding a bike is even worse

On this issue there is clear black and white answer DONT DRINK AND RIDE

You should talk to the MSF about your views Johnny B or better yet have an on-line debate with a rep from MSF or MAD etc. There is no middle ground on this one. Don't get caught up in California political correctness.

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-08-2002, 09:41 AM   #92
KPaulCook
Banned

Default It's really simple (black and white) but not politically correct that's all

Facts:

[*]Drinking impairs response time and judgement

[*]Driving is a priviledge not a right

[*]Drinking is also a not a given

[*]Motorcycle piloting takes much more coordination, judgement etc than driving a car, so drinking and riding a bike is even worse than drinking and driving a car

On this issue there is a clear black and white answer DONT DRINK AND RIDE

[*]You should talk to the MSF about your views Johnny B or better yet have an on-line debate with a rep from MSF or MAD etc. There is no middle ground on this one.
[*]Don't get caught up in California political correctness.

Maybe you should visit a Hospital emergency room on a Saturday night sometime.

By the way the cop was right about you and your kid. Ever seen a kid with toes caught in the spokes. ouch Its for your own good.

Old 05-08-2002, 09:45 AM   #93
johnnyb
Founding Member

Default Re: John Burns: Monday Malfeasance

Are we done being hysterical? Perhaps you'd like to visit the National Motorists Organization site and get some FACTS.

http://www.motorists.org/issues/dwi/..._position.html
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 09:48 AM   #94
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Right on jrichard Burns needs to travel more i.e. get out more

Hey if you have ever visited Asia, Middle East, South America or even "civilized" Europe. You know that this is best damn country ever. We have problems but there right out there for everyone to see.

And Burns evidently hasn't learned his lesson about the DUI thing. Maybe next time when he kills someone and is doing time he will say oh yeah I was wrong there is no gray when comes to drinking and driving.
Old 05-08-2002, 09:56 AM   #95
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Whose facts ?????

Garbage man Garbage man like I said go to a hospital emergency room sometime. You evidently didn't learn your leason on your first DUI. God you better hope you don't hit me or my family while you are doing your "moderate" drinking and driving or you will see some one hysterical. Geez stick to bikes. Or debate some one from MSF or CHP.
Old 05-08-2002, 10:16 AM   #96
minime
Founding Member

Default Re: Whose facts ?????

Just to be clear, nobody, and I mean NOBODY here drinks and rides test bikes. We don't do it, we do not condone it and, in fact, are or course against drinking and riding/driving, etc.

The responses here after John's thought-provoking editorial have been some of the most well thought out I've seen, and I think EVERYBODY is learning from the exchange of ideas and opinions here.

That, I think, was the point from the beginning, and why we decided to run the piece.

--Minime
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 10:34 AM   #97
Grappelli
Registered Member

wow.. I just read that. Where does society become police state? And what do the schools understand "in loco parentis" to mean?
Grappelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 10:41 AM   #98
Grappelli
Registered Member

ok, that's maybe a little far gone, but I was shocked by the school piece... which of course they were trying to do to me...
Old 05-08-2002, 11:00 AM   #99
Grappelli
Registered Member

Minime and Johno, this brings up an interesting point on the use of the MO website: Should a motorcycle website be purely a commercial information point on the products and services available? Should it be there for feel good articles about the writers youth and the $100 dollar bikes that do 300mph at 100mpg and aren't we all wonderfull? (well you already know my attitude to pipe and slippers articles..) However, this latest turn that's been happening over a few articles has been very interesting. Using a commercial website to set out informed and some quite hard nosed discussion points on our own views and social resposibilities as they relate to road use... has been quite fascinating. Obviously not only to me. The trend to sideline issues like this purely for "the lilly livered liberals, tree huggers and politicians" is a growing problem and an information service such as MO being prepared to step into the void and view its place in a wider social context is very refreshing, even if my first response in this was to actively refrain from swearing...
Old 05-08-2002, 11:12 AM   #100
minime
Founding Member

Grappelli, as always, your insight is welcomed and appreciated.

As for your question about "the use of the MO website" I believe that we're pretty focused on the two-wheel stuff. Occasionally, however, an editorial (such as John's here) will skirt the boundaries. Some may argue this is way off topic but I disagree. Drinking and driving is something that has the ability to effect us (negatively, of course) each and every time we ride or drive.

People are obviously emotional about the topic, and we knew it would generate some heated posts. We also thought it would generate an out-pouring of good information and provide an open forum for discussion, which it obviously has.

Some people think motorcyclists are stupid, closed-minded people of the non-thinking variety. I beg to differ, and after reading the 100-plus posts above, I thank you all for participating.

--Minime
minime is offline   Reply With Quote