Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 05-06-2002, 08:37 AM   #1
CBRunner
Founding Member

Default Re: Lash out at Speed Channel

I have to be honest with you. I taped the Day 1 race twice on Saturday (just to be sure I got it) and I watched Day 2 and the Supersport on Sunday without any difficulties. When, exactly, did the race get interupted? Was it on Sunday after the postponed NASCAR race?
CBRunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-06-2002, 08:49 AM   #2
latebraking
Founding Member

I fired off an e-mail to Speed Channel moments after the perfectly manicured, smarmy announcer made known that the next 40 minutes would cover highlights of the good ol' boys roundy round races, instead of the live telecast of the 600SS race at noon, PST. I'll forward a copy of what I sent when I get home from work.
latebraking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2002, 09:08 AM   #3
KPaulCook
Banned

Shame Shame Speed Channel [i]Another Heidi bowl thing[i] Hey if Speed Channel wanted to update NASCAR folks do it with a scrolling message on the bottom of the screen. I fail to see why they think folks tuning into a motorcycle race would be interested enough in NASCAR to have the coverage of AMA race interupted. I like NASCAR but I don't want a live motorcycle race to be interupted by a talking head yacking about NASCAR. Do it as an update on the hour or half hour but to prempt the race is stupid and pisses people off.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2002, 09:19 AM   #4
latebraking
Founding Member

Below is an e-mail I sent to Speed Channel about them wiping out the the live telecast of the AMA 600 SS race from Sears Point to talk about NASCAR racing highlights and their "reply". The message I get from this happening and their automated system reply is that motorcycle racing programming is not a priority for them, and that they don't have time or inclination to respond.

Why do you interrupt a live telecast (AMA 600 Supersport) to talk about *highlights* of NASCAR?! I thought that was what time slots for programming were for? I was looking forward to seeing the motorcycle races you had put in your schedule today and cancelled other activities for the day so that I would be able to watch them. Now I have to wait until another time to see the 600 race and I don't have the benefit of getting other things done. Pre-empt rally racing or soap box derby racing please. Better yet, how about waiting until the allotted time for NASCAR programming comes on to talk about NASCAR race highlights from wherever. I might even watch it when you do, even though I largely don't care about NASCAR. When NASCAR programming squashes motorcycle racing coverage, with no warning, I could be forgiven for developing a resentment toward that particular segment of motorsport and also toward the Speed Channel programming staff. I look at the schedule you produce for a reason, and I imagine you create the schedule for a reason. How about following through and actually doing it the way you planned? How do you think it would be received if you brought race highlights from World Superbike and AMA Supersport races from wherever right in the middle of a titanic battle for the lead at Bristol, telling your NASCAR fans that they can see the race in its entirety some other time? What happened today gives new life to my fears about how programming other than NASCAR will be treated by the new regime at Speed Channel. Please feel free to respond by e-mail, or contact me at the phone number I have provided. I eagerly anticipate your

reply.

Sent: Sunday, May 05, 2002 12:44 PM

Subject: Thank you for contacting Speed Channel

Thank you for contacting Speed Channel.

We commit ourselves to read all of your comments. However, due to the quantity of emails we receive, we may not be able to answer every email.

If your question does not receive a response, we ask that you please visit the FAQ page on our website at www.SpeedTV.com, or try contacting us again.

Your comments and feedback are greatly appreciated.

To find out if Speed is available on your cable system, call 1-888-22-SPEED or call your cable operator or satellite provider directly.
latebraking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2002, 09:30 AM   #5
Enrique_Cezar_Ruiz
Founding Member

I was also very dissapointed. I even wrote Speed Channel and got that generic reply. Bottom line... FALSE ADVERTISING!
Enrique_Cezar_Ruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2002, 09:31 AM   #6
Grappelli
Registered Member

1. Any professional TV channel should stick to schedules unless neccesary. This was not neccesary. In fact it was pretty ofensive.

2. Is this confimation of what we suspected that the speed channel is only paying lip service to sports such as motorcycle racing, F1 and rallying?

3. The Speed Channel.. home to NASCAR at the expense of everything else? Just a dumping ground for Fox's Nascar coverage?

Grappelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2002, 09:48 AM   #7
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Part of Fox's deal to get NASCAR rights was to provide a certain amount of broadcasting hours (8 I believe) per day. That's why Fox bought Speedvision so they would have an available channel in addition to their stick and ball coverage.

Let's face it: As much as we love motorcycle racing, the audience represents a fraction of the NASCAR audience and money will always triumph "the right thing to do."

I'm not saying I agree with what they did. I'm just injecting a dose of reality.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2002, 09:52 AM   #8
speedytriple
Founding Member

My comments to Speed Channel also included the fact that I subscribe and pay my cable company for a higher programming tier mainly to get Speed Channel. If Speed Channel's shift to NASCAR prompts people to drop to a lower subscription tier, the cable companies will start to evaluate whether their bandwidth should be used for some other network.
speedytriple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2002, 09:57 AM   #9
Lincoln
Founding Member

Default not only that, but....

the Jerez MotoGP coverage was so littered with commericals it was pathetic!! I swear every 2 laps there was a commericial!! It made it almost impossible to get a good feel for the race. If there was 5 minutes of racing there were 3 1/2 minutes of commercials!! too bad that inbred hillbilly channel is destroying a good thing
Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2002, 10:29 AM   #10
stogieBill
Founding Member

You are spot on KPaul, Speed Channel dropped the ball big time. If they thought it necessary to show highlights from the Nascar race, they should have used a scroll along the bottom of the screen, and not interupted a scheduled program.
stogieBill is offline   Reply With Quote