Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO vs. World (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/)
-   -   Lash out at Speed Channel (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/1207-lash-out-speed-channel.html)

Monolith2001 05-06-2002 10:32 AM

Re: Lash out at Speed Channel

It was irresponsible for Speed to interrupt the race pure and simple. NASCAR may pay more bills but SS was something they scheduled and they should stick with it. I wasn't too terribly upset given that it was repeated a few hours later and Speed is the only channel that caters to 2-wheel fans on a consistent basis.

intruderman 05-06-2002 10:51 AM

Yeah, I too stared in disbelief at my TV when they interrupted the 600 race. I had just finished watching the NASCAR race on FX channel and switched over to SPEED to watch the bike race when it happened. I'm a fan of NASCAR also, but I couldn't help but wonder how many NASCAR fans are going to change channels to SPEED at that moment when the schedule said that AMA supersport was airing. Just who was SPEED Channel trying to please? I doubt that they got any NASCAR viewers, all they did was really offend the motorcycle racing enthusiasts. IDIOTS! I also sent an email to Speedchannel to let them know what I think about it.

sportbike_pilot 05-06-2002 10:59 AM

Re: not only that, but....

This too is my primary complaint with Speed Channel. There is no flow to any of the motorcycle races I've watched due to the constant stream of commercial interruptions - far in excess of anyone's threshold of tolerance. This is counterproductive for them and their advertisers since my response, which I think is probably typical, is to tape anything I'm interested in watching on Speed Channel and simply fast forwarding past all of the commercial interruptions.

Martin

longride 05-06-2002 11:12 AM

Maybe they figured the 25 people across the country watching the motorcycle race wouldn't get all that mad. Somehow, I get the feeling they are going to drop motorcycle race programming totally. "Lashing out" is fine, but they already know they are the only game in town. You can hate NASCAR with all your passion, but I don't see TV stations outbidding each other for the rights to televise a motorcycle race. If and when that day ever comes, they will preempt the NASCAR race to bring you the latest from Sears Point. Just don't hold thy breath waiting.

jamesohoh7 05-06-2002 11:31 AM

I disagree... I was one who did send them a tirade... with mild profanity (which I posted here on another forum about the superbike race yesterday b/c this forum wasn't 'up' yet). It is justified in this case. Someone I used to know (that I can't recall off-hand) put it very plainly once: "act like a dumb-a s s, get treated like a dumb-a s s". Very simple.

What they are doing over there is very clear: they are TRYING to drive us away b/c they do not WANT us. Why should I bother with pleasantries anymore? The viewers that built their station are being cast aside. 24-hours of NASCAR will over-saturate the market and it will fail... that's my 'Nostradamus moment' anyway.

I would be very interested to know how Honda, Yamaha, etc... who spend advertising dollars with Speed to get coverage during MOTORCYCLE RACES feel about having their commercials aired during roundy-round races?, if at all? After all, was it not the 'Pro Honda Oils 600 SuperSport Race' that got pre-empted?

Honda??.. are you listening???

Someone should be bringing this to the motorcycle manufacturer's attention... US! Everyone should send a 'concerned letter' to "Japan, Inc.".

-James

minime 05-06-2002 11:45 AM

Interesting question you pose, James. I've sent it along to the good PR people at Honda. I'll post their response as soon as I get it.

KPaulCook 05-06-2002 11:53 AM

Good thinking minime. If I am Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki or Yamaha which don't have any thing to do with NASCAR, I would be pissed to see my advertising dollars go down the tubes cause my targeted audience just got blown away by NASCAR news (not even live stuff)

evilgenius 05-06-2002 12:08 PM

They've since "apologized" and assured us it well never happen...

(lower part of site)

www.speedtv.com

Trey21 05-06-2002 01:02 PM

Re: LOVE FOR BIKE RACING

I love to ride my bike Kawsaki ZX-6R and if there is any thing I love more then riding my bike is to see the best guys in the world on them. I am sure for all of the guys who do ride racing bikes U have to wish that u could ride as good as them. So for the people who pay their cable bill every month just to see AMA racing The Speed Channel did not respect that at all. I do hope that that was just a one time thing and will never happen again.

Haga-san 05-06-2002 01:11 PM

It seems like everytime I turn on Speed Channel in the middle of the day its 'NASCAR Classics' I guess the ratings are very low at that point but there's gotta be something better...don't you think. We're not all beer drinking, potato chip eating, fat, toothless, ass scratcing necks out here. Too much Neckcar for me!!!