Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 04-19-2002, 02:39 PM   #11
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Default Snowing Idaho

Where in Idaho?

luvmyvfr
luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-19-2002, 03:47 PM   #12
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Default Re: Snowing Idaho

Pocatello.
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 10:40 AM   #13
hola
Founding Member

Default racer advice

I would not advise a rider (regardless of years riding) to do a trackday, unless i know the rider personally. Some have pretty good skill others would be endagering themselves. Which is why i generally sugget taking a racing course, like California superbike school, penguin etc, etc. You will hopefully get good instruction on technique, the track layout etc. light years better info than the MSF nerds (but it is better than nothing). You will have a chance to learn the track at a sloooowpoke pace and practice worry free, improving your technique and gaining confidence. It will be the best money you will ever spend. When you take a couple of courses, you may then be ready for a track day, rather than being lost and scared out of your wits. Keep in mind, it is a race track non the less.

You will need full (racing type) leathers. Best if one piece. Most, if not all, schools and tracks will allow a two piece to be attached with heavy duty 360º zipper. If you do not have full leathers, this is the time to buy QUALITY stuff. Same goes for boots, helmet and gloves. Get a suit with body armor and best if it has a built in back protector. If you go down, you want to be able to brush off the dust and pick up your bike.

The bike will not need anything other than being in good running condition. You may need to remove the mirrors and tape the glass. Sometimes no anti-freeze is allowed. The school will inform you as to what you need. Also some schools rent bikes and leathers.

However, i think it is best perhaps to get a few more miles of experience. Just to get a feel of the bike. As mentioned, read keith code's books, they are very well structered (although pathetic printing) and informative. A must really.

Good luck and have the most fun you can have with your clothes on
hola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 02:05 PM   #14
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Nice. I spent a couple of years in SE Idaho. I really like the state. Thinking of moving there after Nurse Practitioner school is over. How many riding months do you have/year? Do you spend your snowy months on snow machines? That's what I'd do.

luvmyvfr
luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 03:02 PM   #15
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Reliable riding starts in March and runs until sometime in November. During springtime elevations below about 6000 feet are for the most part OK but the passes are usually either closed or a mess until sometime in June.

I'm not much of a snowmachine guy. During winter we ride our dirtbikes in the desert when we can and backcountry ski the rest of the time.

sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote