Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 04-11-2002, 10:07 AM   #31
Jay_Mack
Founding Member

Default Re: House passes Motorcycle Safety Bill

I'll tell you what would increase motorcycle safty. Sweep the highways free of gravel and debris. But NOOO, that wouldn't make any money for the Fat Cats!
Jay_Mack is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-11-2002, 10:10 AM   #32
ikonoklass
Founding Member

I was riding from Denver to Colorado Springs last year at around 80 MPH (speed limit=75) and there was a freakin' aluminum ladder lying across my lane. Plenty of time to avoid it, but that would have meant certain death.
Old 04-11-2002, 10:43 AM   #33
DucButt
Founding Member

Default The abdication of personal responsibility?

This Bill can't hurt - especially if it increases just one person's awareness of motorcycles. However, I don't think anyone addressed the fact that we as riders make a strong statement by the way we ride, how loud our bikes are, etc. We need to focus more on what we as riders can do for ourselves - not what others can do for us. Don't get the wrong idea that I'm just a touchy-feely prissy-ass sissy on a BMW (no offense). I like to strafe the tarmac with a knee down - but on the track. On public roads, I realize I can be an ambassador for the sport, I can ride defensively and I can be courteous to drivers - AND STILL HAVE FUN.

Bottom line: I can't be critical of the efforts of others when there is more that I could be doing. Now, pardon me while I go remove the loud cans from my Ducati...NOT!! Guess nobody's perfect...
DucButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 10:48 AM   #34
Lincoln
Founding Member

LOL seruzawa!
Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 11:52 AM   #35
danch
Founding Member

Just a little nitpick - could you specify California house in the headline for stuff like this? We don't _all_ live there; it just seams that way sometimes.
danch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 10:40 PM   #36
CBR1000F
Founding Member

The horn on my bike sounds like a car horn - a BIG car... I don't have an airhorn, but it is kinda fun when you honk at somebody and they jump and do a double-take.
Old 04-12-2002, 01:31 AM   #37
flatass
Founding Member

no
flatass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 01:43 AM   #38
flatass
Founding Member

Right on CBA! I have just gotten my first bike in 30 years and riding today is a different animal than in the 70s. Sunday morning I was on I-40 early. I was moving about 80mph so no trucks would blow by me then out of the blue comes a SUV driven by a soccer mom with 3 or 4 kids by me at 85mph. She then pulls over right in front of me.I pulled back around her at 90 plus...she then passed me again. I chickened out and gave her the lane. So where is she going at 7:00 am in such a hurry?
flatass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 04:57 AM   #39
mconlon
Founding Member

I'd be willing to bet that this means more enforcement against motorcylists doing dumb things (like speeding on really twisty roads and horrible stuff like that, which we obviously need The Law to protect ourselves from) than cars doing dumb (and lethal) things to motorcyclists... Just a hunch; glad I live in ME.

Mike C
mconlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 08:54 AM   #40
dwr461
Founding Member

WHEREAS I do not live in California.

WHEREAS The "House" I would think of in a national on line mag would the Federal Government of the United States of America.

WHEREAS I believe you also have an international readership.

WHEREAS I think that it would be sensible to place the word "California" in front of House when posting this "news" in the future.

Just my two-cents worth.

Dave
dwr461 is offline   Reply With Quote