Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO vs. World (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/)
-   -   The Verdict is in. (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/1159-verdict.html)

Randy_P_Moran 04-08-2002 09:32 AM

Re: The Verdict is in.

First post! Go Suzuki!

intruderman 04-08-2002 09:43 AM

Someday I'll own a GSX-R. Good review. Good insight into the mixed emotions that we all have when trying to decide "what's the best bike".

obiwanrazzy 04-08-2002 09:47 AM

It's okay to have an opinion.

Oh the drama of it all!!

Sounds like the Suzuki is the best performer. You shouldn't have to justify giving it the blue ribbon if it's that's the case. I like the way you guys went about it this year (Except for the bad link from the final article to the reader feed-back for the drag strip article. I'm still willing to be your proof reader if you let me ride the bikes;-)...

Haru 04-08-2002 09:55 AM

Sounds like for street riders, the Hondas the one to have

I am not clear on what basis you give equal weight in the final scoring to the street, track, and drag strip. The way you have it set up right now, you're saying that a good showing at the drag strip is just as important as street usability. And that seems to me to be utter hooey.

I am not in the market for any of these bikes. I am not even a buyer of replica racer type motorcycles. Rather, I am addressing the structure of the comparison test itself.

jmeyn 04-08-2002 10:03 AM

Way to go!

Test them with a range of non-pro riders under a range of riding conditions. Allow responses after each post. Then publish just the personal feelings of the riders.

You all said the Honda was easiest to ride and it was just as fast as the Yamaha. I like easy and fast.

Thank you!

hackfu 04-08-2002 10:09 AM

Re: Sounds like for street riders, the Hondas the one to have

For performance motorcycles such as these where their sole existence IS performance? It is my opinion that equally weighting the performance criteria IS equally just as important as street usuability.

hackfu 04-08-2002 10:10 AM

Re: It's okay to have an opinion.

Ooops. The link has been changed.

seruzawa 04-08-2002 10:16 AM

Re: Sounds like for street riders, the Hondas the one to have

Yeah well, never mind. No matter what you guys do you're not going to make some people happy. Myself, I think you should have added some dirt track and supercross venues to the test. That would make as much sense as some of the comments here.

At least by giving number one to the Suzie you avoid the charges that you are part of the zionist/illuminati/Big4 conspiracy to give the top rating to the newest bike. Lots of people are jealous of all that free bonus cash you guys get, under the table.

Mooner 04-08-2002 10:48 AM

Bravo, now if I could just convince the local dealer to let me have a week or so to do a comparison so I could determine MY favorite. Anybody else want to sign up for a private sector shoot out? Ahh, the glamorous life of an online motorcycle journalist.

sportbike_pilot 04-08-2002 11:11 AM

Great work, I enjoyed this piece immensely. Not just in terms of the writing, but in terms of the piecewise manner in which you released the information. It gave me time to absorb one bit before going on to the next. Just like a gourmet. Very cool.

Personally I'd would have quantified a bias towards the street riding segment because I think that track and dragstip tests, albeit informative (in context) and fun, are largely irrelavent to most of us. Hardly anyone takes their sportbike to the dragstrip. And one of the first lessons that a discerning new racer learns is the value in having a dedicated race bike that doesn't cost 10k to purchase and another 10k to repair after a crash. (it is also less embarassing getting lapped by skilled riders on Honda Ascots on your nondescript racer than it is on your new Gixxer 1k). But all of that is just my 2 cents. I think that you were as fair as possible and very informative. Any meticulous reader should come away with the impression that all of these motorcycles are phemomenal (which they are) and that it basically comes down to a matter of personal choice.

To all of you squidly flamethrowers I say this: motorcycles are not about facts and stats (try baseball or accounting if that is your bag), but rather about passion. Bikes are not about anything practical - they are a big raspberry in the face of blandness and conformitism: downright, unrequited, unapologetic fun. So you should ride what you want. The best bike for you is the bike that puts the biggest smile on your face (it's a bonus if, as a by product, it pisses off your in-laws). As much as I enjoyed this article and agree with it's conclusions I still bought a CBR954 for my new street bike because it is what I like. And I'm enjoying the heck out of it. It's a screaming machine.

So thanks MO for the information. See you on the street.