Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 04-09-2002, 08:18 AM   #61
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Try reading the test again..

So they couldn't tell it was 3 seconds faster last year at the track? You are kidding, right? Is this the "claim"? Or, did the other bikes get slower? The R1 was "improved" right? So it was indeed going faster than last year which means there was greater than 3 seconds difference and it still came in second? Sorry Johnny, but their reasoning smells like the southbound end of a northbound mule. I suppose it sounds good to you though.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-09-2002, 08:21 AM   #62
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: The Verdict is in.

Here is another thing common to super sport bikes: A + 18yrs old = 6 feet under.
Old 04-09-2002, 08:30 AM   #63
banda
Founding Member

Default Re: Let us do the riding

Better yet, give us the actual bikes and we'll decide for ourselves.
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 08:36 AM   #64
banda
Founding Member

Default Re: Sounds like for street riders, the Hondas the one to have

Or we could have actual squids perform the review:

The squid reviewers could tell us helpful things like which bike looks the best minus its fairing lowers, or which one is the easiest to put a Yosh can on. They could tell us which of the bikes has a rear fender that's easiest to remove with a dremmel tool. They could rate the bikes based on which one slid the furthest in the "sub-division low-side" test.

The possibilities are endless.
Old 04-09-2002, 08:38 AM   #65
12er
Founding Member

You can always take a K for a demo ride. What sold me was the adjustabilty of the bars, seat and footpegs. Want to go scratch, raise the pegs and drop the bars. Then if you want to do some distance drop the pegs and raise the bars back up. Only takes about 5 minutes to swap.

I hear you on the twin thang, I was looking at the futura hard before finally buying the BMW. With the Futura I was a little leary of a first year bike and limited dealer network. Then with the shootout on here and the tiny range I feel I made the right call. Aprillia though is making some tasty rides, my next playtoy may very well be one.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 08:49 AM   #66
12er
Founding Member

Per WSB rules the ducati and aprilia are not open classers, they are in line with the 750's.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 08:52 AM   #67
banda
Founding Member

Default Supermotards rule the streets

You have no idea how true your words are.

I shouldn't be telling you any of this. I should just keep it to myself, but here goes...

I just took delivery of a Husqvarna SM610S factory supermotard three weeks ago. It's time for the 600 mi service, and In just a couple of weekends, I have utterly humiliated riders on the following bikes:[*]'02 CBR 954 RR[*]'01 GSXR 1000[*]'00 YZF R1

Horsepower doesn't mean diddly-squat on a good twisty public road. My Husky is the least powerful bike I've owned since I was a teenager, but I am taking open-classers to school on this thing. Here's why:
The tall profile lets me see around blind corners and over hills sooner. The light weight and wide bars let me chuck it in faster. The enormous suspension travel lets me soak up pavement irregularities better. The low power makes it easier for me to whack on the throttle early in the corner and just deal with what happens. It never runs out of ground clearance, so I can just keep bending it in when I enter a turn too hot.

I may end up selling my CBR.
Old 04-09-2002, 10:17 AM   #68
Don_Wood
Founding Member

Default Re: Booo

Well squid - I have an 01R1. I find it quite comfortable. I bought it last July and rode it from Maryland to North Carolina and back with only a sore rear end. I am 32 years old - you young bucks should have no problem riding these bikes for hours on end.

Nice choice on your bike. I hope you got the faster red model.

Cheers,

Don
Don_Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 10:23 AM   #69
Don_Wood
Founding Member

Default I just changed tires on my 01R1

Stay away from the Michelin's unless you live in the desert. They take way too long to warm up.

I just installed a set of Bridgestone BT-012SS tires and the difference is night and day. I highly recommend these tires. The Metzeler Sportek M-1's are also very good.

Check www.yzf-r1forum.com for a more detailed analysis.

Cheers,

Don
Don_Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 10:25 AM   #70
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Good stuff, MO.

Well said, Hack.

Where's the Reader Poll? *I suggest two categories: Best Looking and Bike I'd Buy).
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote