Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 04-09-2002, 06:55 AM   #51
R1TCHIE
Founding Member

Default Re: Michelin v Dunlop

I haven't tried the Pilots on my R1 but they are on my wife's 929 (which I ocassionally ride) and I am not impressed with them as a street tire. For street riding I would recommend the dual compound Bridgestone tires. The softer BT010 for the front and the slightly harder (but not "hard") BT020 for the rear. If you want to sharpen your handling a bit in the process, put the BT011 on the front that was designed for the GSXR 1000. It has a steeper profile that lays the bike over a little quicker.
R1TCHIE is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-09-2002, 07:27 AM   #52
reggler
Founding Member

Default Re: The Verdict is in.

I have to agree with you. Everything I hear about the FJR tells me it is just what I am looking for but....I am 6'3" with a 35 " inseam and I am hesitant to make a commitment to a bike I haven't had the opportunity to try on. I haven't put down any money yet for that very reason but I don't know if I can or am willing to wait that long for a new bike. I am afraid that if I do wait and the FJR isn't a good fit that I'll be back to square one shopping for the right bike. One of the big problems is that manufacturers just don't build bikes for tall guys, at least for tall guys that want performance and not some fat dog cruiser.

I think Yamaha is playing it safe with the approach they taking to the intro of the FJR to the states. They've been hearing us crying for the bikes that Europe gets now they want to see if we really mean it. I've heard that each dealer is being allotted two bikes. The problem with that, if it's true, is the demand could drive up the price. Or some people that put down a deposit could end up waiting until Sept. or Oct. for their bike.

I have discovered the FJRowners site and have been checking it daily to try and get some info on the bike's idiosyncracies to either convince me it is worth the wait or if I should just go ahead and look for something else. Most of what I see is positive but I still can't get anyone close to my size to tell me how the ergos are.

What I really want is a 1000-1200 cc V-twin sport tourer with shaft or belt drive. I just like V-twins, what can I say? Maybe Harley will finally join the 21st century and build a sport touring bike around their new V-Rod powerplant. Even if it took a couple of years to bring to the market I could ride the FJR until then.

As far as a shootout including the ST goes I think the FJR would blow its doors off in the performance category. I like the ST but at 630 lbs. it is more like a trimmed down Goldwing. I don't know much about the K1200RS but several members of the FJRowners have switched from it to the FJR. I think they are pretty equal but it may just boil down to personal preference, which is what it's all about anyway. You know the old saying, "That's why they make chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry.

Bottom line is that with the rapid advances in technology that there will always be something coming down that pike that is better, whether it's faster, handles better, has more hp, etc. I only plan on buying a couple more bikes in my lifetime and in reality the bikes available today are pretty darn good. I'm looking for long range comfort, low maintenance, and for those days when I'm feeling feisty, something I can wrap around a curve and give me a little thrill.
reggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 08:00 AM   #53
Huss
Founding Member

Default Try reading the test again..

They gave a reason why. Last year on the track they said the Suzuki was a handful without measuring lap times. This year they measured the times and found out why, it was going 3 seconds a lap faster than the other bikes. When most lap times are measured down to tenths of a second, this is beyond huge.
Huss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 08:08 AM   #54
Huss
Founding Member

Default Well done!

While I was a bit critical re. the first installment, I think that this test on the whole was great. Above all, it was very entertaining. What I enjoyed most was that I read the final wrap up just as the paper press were releasing press introduction reports on the R1!
Huss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 08:34 AM   #55
ram
Founding Member

Last year I bought the gixxer, even tough the guys thought the R1 was the bike to have.

It was a great choice. This bike is awesome. Just get read of that stupid exhaust valve, and put a proper RS3 Yosh + EMS, and you are in business! (replace the damper 2...)

One thing common to Newton and bikers who ride super sport bikes is: F = M x A

It's such an easy trick, and Suzuki got it!

As for the comfortable crap, I donÂ’t really think it matters, and even if it does, the bike is as good (or bad) as the others.

ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 08:40 AM   #56
Closet_Bad_Ass
Founding Member

Huss says it all with his timing comment.

As for the bikes, and I know that there have been a few allusions to this already, why are only these three bikes considered? Why not Ducati 998, Aprilia Mille (R?), Buell Firebolt and other open classers? Throwing in a few more bikes might open up the point margin at the very least. I understand that comparing 6 or more bikes with three riders may be a bit daunting, which is why I volunteer my services to help out. But seriously, why exclude all the other great open class rides?
Closet_Bad_Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 08:41 AM   #57
SilverBullet
Founding Member

The Firebolt would more likely be compared to supersport 600s and the new Triumph Speed4.

The Triumph Daytona, ZX-9R and Aprilia Falco R would be a nice one to read, though.

Hey, there's two good ideas!!!
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 08:46 AM   #58
seruzawa
The Toad

Jealous.
Old 04-09-2002, 08:54 AM   #59
SilverBullet
Founding Member

The one objection I have is: the Firebolt IS NOT an open class bike!!!

It would be more apropriate to compare it with supersport bikes... and it would kick their butts.
Old 04-09-2002, 08:56 AM   #60
SilverBullet
Founding Member

Default Is it just me?

The link to the story is not working. Help.