Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO vs. World (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/)
-   -   The Verdict is in. (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/1159-verdict.html)

das 04-09-2002 05:43 AM

Re: The Verdict is in.

I agree with everything you said, but, hey, what's with all this dragstrip bashing! :-)

I've taken my VFR to the dragstrip, and my wife takes her Bandit 600. It's loads of fun, and much cheaper and closer than track time (though track time is admittedly even more fun).

What people don't seem to understand is that being good at the dragstrip has almost nothing to do with having a quick bike. Amateur drag racing is all about consistency. Sure, going fast is a blast, but *any* vaguely sporty bike is fun at the dragstrip. My wife can get her stock Bandit 600 down the 1/4 mile in under 13 seconds and over 100mph. That's dirt slow compared to motojournalist times on big bikes, but it's still a lot of fun when you're the one at the controls.

jrichard 04-09-2002 05:43 AM

Re: Michelin v Dunlop

Having ridden both, (not on an R1, however) I found the Pilot Sports to be way too soft resulting in excessive wear in the center of the rear tire. The Front held up fine. This was in everyday riding including hard cornering on twisty roads... If you ride to work, buy a dual compound tire or a harder compound rear. My friends and I usually buy a softer compound front and a harder rear for everyday street/weekend thrash riding. my 2cts...

blademan 04-09-2002 05:49 AM

Re: Sounds like for street riders, the Hondas the one to have

That would be great if we, as consumers, spent = time on the dragstrip and the track, we don't. So your test is full of it. Street testing should have 50% of bias. Give track 35% and drag 15% to be fair. All these bikes are sold with license plates, no? 50% or more of these will only see street duty.

blademan 04-09-2002 05:56 AM

Re: The Verdict is b.s. again.

This test would be great if we, as consumers, spent equal time on the dragstrip and the track, we don't. So your test is full of it. Street testing should have 50% of bias. Give track 35% and drag 15% to be fair. All these bikes are sold with license plates, no? 50% or more of these will only see street duty. We said this 2 years ago to you guys and nothing has changed. I don't care if the Kawasaki wins, or the triumph or wtf ever just start performing your tests in relation to where the bikes are used.

STsprinter 04-09-2002 06:04 AM

I am glad Hackfu included his luggage hook remarks. This is important for people who only have a one bike garage. This just shows how the 954 is more of a well rounded mount and can be used for an occasional extended ride that would include an overnight stay. Great article MO, keep up the good work.

longride 04-09-2002 06:11 AM

Re: The Verdict is b.s. again.

Sorry, but these bikes have nothing to do with "street duty". They are very uncomfortable and impractical as well. They are made for squidly bragging rights at the local bar. Using even half of what these machines can deliver on the street borders on stupidity. Using all of it will just promote Darwins theory. By the comparo they used, Suzuki is the winner. The real question that begs to be answered is how the same Suzuki that lost last year could beat the "improved" R1 that won last year? Might take Johnny Cochran to explain that one.

rocketorM3 04-09-2002 06:13 AM

One print mag has analysis

Sport Rider if you subscribe has done a test. They like Pilots better than D207s. They also like Mezelers, and Pirellis better.

jpmst3 04-09-2002 06:26 AM

Re: Sounds like for street riders, the Hondas the one to have

It is a bit closer to 90% of these bikes will never leave the street. And 90% of those that do are ridden by squids who cannot use all the power anyway...Why bother with dragstrip testing??

slilliott 04-09-2002 06:38 AM

Nice overall test, but dragstrip testing is meaningless for the street, it only shows raw numbers in a narrow confined environment. Pretty much the same for the track test, though that shows their handling potential which has a certain relevance to the street. The street test was good but too limited - How did they run at night with the new headlights ? How about a traveling weekend - with luggage (can they do that?) AND, my favorite, how would they feel in a driving rain,

and/or wet roads, or otherwise adverse/less-than-optimal conditions? In case you MO guys have forgotten, there is rain in other parts of the country, and yes we RIDE in rain.

polishnightmare 04-09-2002 06:38 AM

However have you seen the type of chicks that are hanging around? They don't call them hogs for nothing. When you start one of those hogs it is like calling: Suey! Suey! Here Suey! Then they all come running to the trough, smelling the hog rub being marinated. Thinking that they will get some $$$. Those chicks thinking, I smell dollars!!!