Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 04-08-2002, 02:42 PM   #21
reggler
Founding Member

Default Re: The Verdict is in.

judging from the feedback so far, my earlier post regarding the caliber of this comparo seems to be the overall consensus. you guys did a great job. but........ at age 50 i think i'll buy the fjr1300 and just pretend i'm still a kneescraper.
reggler is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-08-2002, 03:12 PM   #22
Tomslick
Registered Member

How would the new triumph have fared in this review? I know it would most likely have been last but would it have even been on the radar in any of the categories?
Tomslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 03:12 PM   #23
Don_Wood
Founding Member

Default Booo

I just wish you guys would let me change my name - how many times do I have to ask??????????????

How can the unchanged Suzuki win over the significantly updated R1 when the only change at MO is the acquisition of JB the R1-lover????????????????????

Last year the old R1 beat out the GSXR! What gives?

I am surprised the Buell did not win the liter-bike shootout with all the ads you guys run.

Keep up the good work! Don't even try to please me!

Don
Don_Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 03:20 PM   #24
rmiller
Founding Member

Good job guys. A great set of articles. I think the real winner here is the medium. Interaction at each phase of the evaluation really lets people quantify whats important in a given road test. The Suzuki is fastest, period, and ten years ago that would have been all that mattered. I owned the original Double R and loved it (with the help of one Kaz Yoshima). Now I find I can stay with 90+% of the street riders out here on a VFR800, but I miss a real sporty bike and would love one for track days again. So I'm back in the market. Lets see; Honda for that 600 handling, Yami for those looks, Suzy for the power slides. In the hands of a good rider, it’s all good.

Leaning toward the RR. Now if I can just talk myself out of an Aprilia Type R.
rmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 03:32 PM   #25
99R6
Founding Member

Default Re: Booo

I gotta tell ya... i am sorta a squid.... and i currently own a 99R6.... bought when i was 16 yrs. old, still perfect... as far as comfort goes on these bikes, they are all pretty uncomfortable.... having rode all of the new crop, (an uncomfortable bike will not bother a person until about after an hour or so).... point being, A person who buys one of these is my age group... consider the ultimate veneer of an OPEN CLASS bike. Buy the fastest and coolest bike!!! My generation and I support this crop of bikes... no more about this comfort *****
99R6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 03:51 PM   #26
rmiller
Founding Member

I think one of the most interesting bits from this test was JP's comment regarding the wink-wink nudge-nudge game. I've always thought this must be the case in a market where obsolecense is key but R&D costs are signficant. The RR's only seen an 18 rear wheel horsepower increase in the last 10 years (with a 7% increase in displacement). Is it going to take big red another ten years to catch the Suzuki? I don think so.

Ducati, on the other hand, has gone from 140+ to 180+ hp on their racing superbike in the same time frame.

Nonetheless, if the factories did the same thing on their production models as they do on the race bikes, i.e. push the limit, they risk running into that happened in Formula one. A several year period of stagnation. At least now the R&D dollars will be pertinent towards production oriented bikes.

Any thoughts, Prurient?

rmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 05:44 PM   #27
ducfast
Founding Member

This was a waste of time. The best bikes were not even considered!

Were is the 1995 Supermotard RMX250?
ducfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 06:10 PM   #28
DurangoKid
Founding Member

As it should be... The Gixxer is one bad ass mo fo. Denying it the crown would be ridiculous.

I will not be surprised when one of the print magazines declare either the Honda or the Yamaha the winner. Why? Have you seen the number of full page ads from either company recently. Thank you MO for offering an objective assessment. The open class is all about performance, regardless of the marketing spin Honda and Yamaha are trying to pull.
DurangoKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 06:51 PM   #29
shnap51
Founding Member

Suzuki's fast...great. My brand new 954 is pretty dang fast too. The real test? My buddy and I ask our pretty little waitress to take a gander out the window and take her pick of the 2 brand-spankin' new bicycles outside (his '02 blue gixxer; my red 954).

The REAL verdict... "I like the red one", she says. "Pretty...and smart", I say!! There you have it. When there's any question, leave it up to how sweet you'll look to everyone else. We all know that's half the fun with these mega-bikes. My buddy and I both agree, he's the runt of the litter, too bad I may be looking at his bike, more than he'll be looking at mine.
shnap51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 07:05 PM   #30
HyperBusa
Founding Member

Default C'mon...

Women always choose the red, even if it's a scooter.
HyperBusa is offline   Reply With Quote