Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 04-08-2002, 11:41 AM   #11
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Let us do the weighting

If performance is the sole reason for the existence of these bikes why did you choose the Yamaha? Because it fit you. Good reason.

I don't think you should assign weights at all. Let us do it according to our requirements:

Provide an active page where subscribers can enter their own weighting factors, click on Calculate, and come up with their own personal winners.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-08-2002, 11:44 AM   #12
obiwanrazzy
Founding Member

Default Re: Sounds like for street riders, the Hondas the one to have

The basis is subjective (I think they've said so themselves). To them, performance bikes are measured by how well they do just that... That being said, I think there is more than enough info in the articles to come to your own conclusion about which bike would be best for you based on your own standards. Like you, I don't race or drag, nor am I in the market for one of these bikes. I also, like you, would have a different subjective standard on which would be the best bike for me; "D", none of the above. That doesn't invalidate their method or conclusion. For someone wanting a performance bike for performance sake, I think the Suzuki is the choice.

obiwanrazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 11:49 AM   #13
bluedot
Founding Member

Default Re: The Verdict is in.

Justice is done.

(If only I could have felt this way after the Simpson verdict .. hehe)

Regarding the testing format .... I'd say rather than giving double to street points, give half as much for dragstrip points. Either way, I salute you for judging these bikes on the merits for which they were designed and built.

They are all excellent bikes ... but nice to see the Suzi get what it deserved.
bluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 11:56 AM   #14
jmeyn
Founding Member

I agree. In general, 50% street and 50% performance makes sense for Openclass street bikes.

But every reader should assign his own weighting, and the facts/opinions are all there.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 12:01 PM   #15
JonnyT
Registered Member

...and my personal verdict is in too. Saturday I went and bought the Honda. Why? Because *I* heard the message between the lines. Best on the street...comfortable...confidence inspiring. Yeah...I'd say that was enough to sway me. All the squids can buy the Suzi and be faster then me...that's fine. When all is said and done, the Honda will probably still be running long after the Suzi's are all wadded.
JonnyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 12:10 PM   #16
floundericiousFL
Founding Member

Default Re: Let us do the weighting

now that's a good idea if I've ever heard one!! Hackfu, Minime....get on it like a handful of Zook throttle!
floundericiousFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 01:27 PM   #17
DucButt
Founding Member

Loved the comparo! Great objectivity with a good dose of subjectivity. I'm in the market for a new open-class bike this year. I do track days, but put more emphasis civilized manner. The big Gixxer is out - that leaves the Honda and Yamaha. I really hate to say this, because it seems so idiotic - but although it seems the Honda may be better for me overall, I'm heavily leaning towards the R1 because it just looks so COOL (silver/black of course). Jeez, did I just admit that?
DucButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 01:35 PM   #18
Tweaked007
Founding Member

Had the bike less than a week and you are bitter and rationalizing already?
Tweaked007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 01:37 PM   #19
reggler
Founding Member

BRAVO!!!!

reggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 01:40 PM   #20
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Default MO is drinking again

Blah, you guys suck. You didn't pick the Yamaha!

Actually, good pick this year. While you can't make everyone happy, it seems like you gave the bike with the most nutts the prize, which is what open class is all about. Even though I like the Yamaha, the Suzuki deserves it. I wonder how much power the next bike that wins it will have. 160 at the rear wheel? ridiculous.
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote