Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO vs. World (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/)
-   -   The Verdict is in. (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/1159-verdict.html)

schlaxn 04-12-2002 03:06 AM

Re: European Ranking

There is _no_ hp-limit in Germay. Some years ago however, manufacturers agreed to limit bikes to 100hp, mainly because of insurance rates and taxes. Nowadays, you've got the choice to buy all bikes in open or limited versions. The Testbikes were open one's of course.

Another point: Kawasaki doesn't lie on hp just as honda does. There are many Fireblades out there with less den 140 rwhp. That's been a nice topic for some motorcycle magazins with their own dynojets as well.

BTW: I'm not from Germany *g*

LCC 04-12-2002 06:34 AM

Re: The Verdict is in.

Speaking of Sv 650's, I have my eye on one that a local dealer has marked down to $4799! Still brand new! Talk about an excellent scooter, I almost have to get one! Try the SVrider websites, waaaayyyyy more cool pics and parts than for most other sportbikes. I must give a little more background to my comment...I raced a full WERA season in 1991 on an FZR 400. Up to 7th place lapped me in my first race in the rain in Savannah, Ga. I won the last two regionals and placed 15th at the Nationals in Atlanta. That was quite a learning curve and a great season, but then it began to get more expensive and I quit racing. The ZX-9R is my 15th streetbike, and I recently bought a crashed 1999 Suzuki 750 to do some track days and possibly some endurance races. I'm just OK on the street, I have several friends who are faster but much more unsafe. The 9R is a little soft in stock form, and the power is up high, so wheelies out of corners are more work than when I'm riding my buddy's R1, but I have never been given a trophy on the street anyway! You made a good point about the fear of riding something in such perfect shape like you stole it...mine is just too nice to throw down. Yep, I'll soldier on with the 9R and try to find some type of past glory on the crashed 750. Thanks for the reply. LCC

g-bear 04-15-2002 08:07 AM

The squids won't be faster than you. At least, not all of them. The point is: can performance differences in these bikes make the difference or are they too subtle for the real world (let alone the real road where I personally get a ticket every time I'm 10 miles over the limit!).

I think any of these bikes will be an excellent choice, if you like the kind.

ballan00 04-15-2002 11:37 AM

Re: Sounds like for street riders, the Hondas the one to have

Yeah, they aren't testing Goldwings here (although I might add the new ones have quite impressive numbers for such a massive bike). I think that drag times are important because many of the SQUIDS who buy these bikes will never see any other form of racing besides stop light to stop light drags. Many will probably never see any twisties, just the urban roads from the SQUIDS layer to the local sonic parking lot.

Anway, these bikes are all major overkill for what a person who only rides on the street needs, so why not weigh in track performance as an equal?

ballan00 04-15-2002 11:47 AM

Yeah, the Honda does seems a bit feminine while the gixxer is just so masculine. Most women would probably see the Honda rider as the sensitive woose type and thus relate to him, while they would stay away from the barbarian gix rider so that they didn't end up pregnant.

Just kidding ... Both bikes kick major arse.

intruderman 04-17-2002 08:50 AM

Re: Try reading the test again..

...tell us what the southbound end of a northbound mule smells like, DongRide.

Zoomzoom_1 04-18-2002 11:56 AM

Great commentary. I agree whole heartedly with the very real idea that motorcycling is about passion and that, at the end of the day, it's about what bike fits YOU, personally, as a motorcyclist, not the numbers, albeit they are good to know. The wave that's ridden from season to season is one of gettin' on the baddest bike of the year, which is peculiar since most stats aren't even published prior to purchases. Marketing hype and street machisimo rule. Fact of the matter is that many of the new owners of this years R1 and Gixxer 1000's will have them on the auction block in the next several months after having soiled numerous pairs of doo-dads. Too much bike for the novice rider who don't seem to be able to grasp the idea of respecting these machines not nearly enough. Riding is about passion, performance, comfort. It surely puts a *****-eating grin on my face.

JonnyT 04-19-2002 10:40 AM

I agree with the previous statement and add that the 'R1' that won was actually an R7 chassis with an R1 motor. The win is under protest...

tkarp 04-23-2002 01:31 PM

I can understand the results of the comparison. However, doesn't syling play a part in this process. I carefully looked at all three models (and purchased the Honda) and to me appearance and styling playrd an important part. What the Yamaha and Honda don't have in muscle, they more than make up for in refinement. The Suzuki feels like a Katana 750 after sitting on the smaller, edgier, and ultimately more modern R1 and 954. I'll gladly give up a few bhp and 10ths at the track to have to cutting edge styling of the 954, or R1 which would have been my 2nd choice in my purchase process.

dsfr4ever 04-24-2002 08:03 AM

Who cares which bike won!!! It's all subjective. I read magazines for the facts and there proffessional inputs on the bikes. I use the info provided to help me make a choice. The whole bike of the year crap is for ammo for curb racers anyway. Take the up's and down's, and make the choice that YOU have to live with. I picked the Honda for Me. I will never ever ever use 130 hp on the street. Let alone 149. I love to scratch and drift on weekends and pick up the hotties during the week, and wheelie in between. It's all good.

Anyone have change for a nickel? That's my two cents.