Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 04-10-2002, 03:53 AM   #111
v4bryan
Registered Member

Default Supersport (tourers?)

I'm not sure what Yamaha's thinking was with holding off on the FJR. I imagined that the bike would've been shopped by the same people who look at 12Rs, Hayabusas and Blackbirds (and the K1200RS; although it's much heavier and somewhat slower)-moderately comfortable sportbikes that can canyon-scratch AND carry saddle bags for extende trips.

I'm 6'2", 275lbs and a 34" inseam. I bought a Blackbird last year, but would've looked hard at the FJR...you gotta love shaft drive, lotsa ponies, and hard bags for traveling. STILL, the bike I really wanted was a litre-class VFR...
v4bryan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-10-2002, 06:04 AM   #112
bharriet
Founding Member

Default Re: The Verdict is in.

The results from the AMA Formula extreme race at Fontana where the track eval was done:

1. Damon Buckmaster, Yamaha R1

2. Jason Pridmore, Suzuki GSXR 1000

3. Jake Zemke, Honda CBR 954

Dont know what year the R1 was. But I think that personal choice is what matters here. Performance is all about who is rattling the chain. Buy what is right for you. My motto is ride your own ride..

bharriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 06:12 AM   #113
akcarlson
Founding Member

Default Weighing In

No news here, I just want to add my voice to the cries for a more street-biased test. Consider this another vote for more emphasis on the real world. That is the factor upon which you editors all based your final decisions, so you were obviously thinking about it.

It's good to know who rules the performance roost (which I think we all knew anyway), but us readers, I gather from previous posts, spend more time on the street and are concerned about ergos and useable power and things like that.
akcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 06:47 AM   #114
intruderman
Founding Member

Default Re: European Ranking

Thanks for the info. That is very interesting. I wish we could get the article in English.
intruderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 07:13 AM   #115
LTCUSARET
Registered Member

Well written; pretty well conceived (the weighting issue should have been considered gong in, but OSIF happens, and your composure in sticking to the test plan is commendable).

Your comments allows us to build a matrix individually, and then choose the results. Another issue will pobably be, what's the best price that we can get from the dealer.

Being a combat trained coward, I'd probably never buy one of these machines. Like many another, I'll get the FJR1300 or like machine, and use mental imaging to talk the talk and mock the walk.

The articles are great work breaks. Keep it up

doo-wah, doo-wah
LTCUSARET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 07:30 AM   #116
gwat
Founding Member

Great comparison! I have been riding for twenty something years and have always been interested in the fastest, latest and greatest ride. There is no doubt in my mind that the Suzuki is supreme in the open class, which ultimately is about power and how the chassis handles that power. But something has happened to me over the years of GSXR's and R1's, my synapses seem to fire differently than they used to.

In passed years, balls before beauty was the way to go on any motorcycle decision (and often they were synonymous). In this year of '02 I sit back and stare at my "old" R1 and just take in the lines, the fit to finish, the beauty of it all, and can't bring myself to push it aside for the super 'Zuki (or anything else). In my ripe old age of almost 40, I often find myself checking my speed rather than testing it.

Part of me wants the fastest, best performing motorcycle available. I just don't think I would love to look at it nearly as much as my R1. I must be getting old..., or maybe I should have both...you know, spice of life.

gwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 07:56 AM   #117
jhansen
Founding Member

Go Suzuki!

1. A motorcycle is not a riding lawnmower.

2. "Easiest to use", "most comfortable" blah blah blah.

3. Honda buyers are paying extra to date a competent Martha Stewart when they could leave beer money in their pocket and spend the evening with a horny Cindy Crawford....
jhansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 08:16 AM   #118
seruzawa
The Toad

You go to the local Easyriders for chicks?!!?!!

What do you expect?

Try the beach.
Old 04-10-2002, 08:19 AM   #119
seruzawa
The Toad

So, ummmm, you're saying that the GSX is a poor handling bike? There is absolutely so indication of that in the tests.
Old 04-10-2002, 08:21 AM   #120
vickersp
Founding Member

I think dragstrip testing is relevant. Was running stoplight to stoplight just last night! Also, I would think that road course tracks would equate some what to street and road handling.
vickersp is offline   Reply With Quote