Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 04-06-2002, 08:28 AM   #41
dcopp
Founding Member

Default Re: Round Three: The Drag Strip

You just might be on the same drugs I was on when my bike got crashed.... Good stuff, eh? The only thing I'll add is sport bikes can be tour bikes as well, you just gotta be in decent shape, physically, and not so decent shape mentally. That's how I do it.
dcopp is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-06-2002, 09:39 AM   #42
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Re: Yamaha R1

Could be gearing, and the Honda has a much wider power band from peak torque to peak hp. Does the Yamaha need an extra shift?
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 10:46 AM   #43
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Don Canet

He rode your bikes?

If so, he beat you by .4 s on both the slower bikes and .7 on the GXSR 1000. More confirmation that the GXSR needs a master to do it's best.

In any case he didn't humiliate you.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 12:08 PM   #44
Riding_Naked
Founding Member

Default Re: Why No Kawasaki?

lol. Well, I can't imagine it'd be that hard to find a ZX-12R. Put THAT Kawi up against these boys and let's see who takes last place.
Riding_Naked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 12:57 PM   #45
Van
Founding Member

The Kawi still would take last place, only by an even larger margin since this is a supersport test.

The 9R is more comfortable and sportier than the 12R anyway, so the only advantage of the 12R would be at the drag strip. It'd get positively waxed on the track or on the street.
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 12:59 PM   #46
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Default Re: To poor to pay attention

Maybe it's a different priority this year. MOre of a Hooligan factor measured in.
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 03:51 PM   #47
john
Founding Member

Default Re: Round Three: The Drag Strip

Aye, i got a bandit right now, looking at going for a used 929. i just want something really light and flickable, but don't want to go from having 80 Ft-lbs of torque to 38 like a 600 would. I have done an Iron butt on the bandit, and whatever bike i get next will undoubtedly also go on an Iron butt with me. Sitting on all of the tested bikes, i think the 929 is the best bet.....but the kawasaki is also a very attractive option.
Old 04-06-2002, 05:10 PM   #48
johnnyb
Founding Member

I truly don't think the ZX would've embarrassed itself at all in any of the performance tests, but I do know it wouldn't have done so great in various subjective areas. Mainly, though, I had in mind to perform some upgrades to it that you really can't do with the other bikes, without a serious amount of work that is. Stay tuned for a Superbike Mike 1150cc upgrade, maybe a little head porting--and I think we'll be looking at a 160-horse (mebbe) ZX-9R that will be quite entertaining.--jb
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 06:59 PM   #49
ram
Founding Member

Default Re: To poor to pay attention

Well great!

When it comes to 1:1 HP to wight bikes, Hooliganism is the name of the game...
ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 08:17 PM   #50
minime
Founding Member

Default Re: What tires?

When we did the lap times, it was late enough in the day that we had the 180-section on it and, most importantly, we knew the track. Enough, anyway. No sense taking lap times when you don't know where you're going, eh?

At the strip we left the same track tires fitted since they are stickier than what comes stock. Of course, we corrected rear ride height/pre-load as best we could to compensate for any changes in the tire's circumference.

As for the difference in lap times between the 190-section rear and the 180-section, it was infinitesimal, though the 180 let us run for more than 5 laps before getting scary on us.
minime is offline   Reply With Quote