Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 04-06-2002, 03:46 AM   #31
yzf1070
Founding Member

Default Moment of silence.....

Little more than a week after the boys of MO were out on the Fontana circut chasing each others tails in a high speed game of mines bigger than yours, Ricky Lundgren has died. He was pronounced dead at 6:25 PM after suffering blunt force trauma to the head and chest while running in a qualifying session at the same Fontana raceway. Never forget ladies and gentlemen the possible consequences of the game we all play. My condolences go out to all of Ricky's friends and family. Ride safe and be well......
yzf1070 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-06-2002, 04:02 AM   #32
jrichard
Founding Member

Default Re: Round Three: The Drag Strip

I actually agree, but to a point. If the bike handles extremely well and has more power than 3 mile island but you can't stand to sit on it for more than 20 minutes what's the point? I like to ride for HOURS at a time. Fast. On nice curvy country roads. Not just a few seconds on a dragstrip, or 20 minutes on a track, or the ten minutes back and forth to work. (who cares if it has "luggage hooks"?) I'm not looking for a GoldWing- couch-on-wheels. But, geez, I don't want to be a pretzel for a day. Besides, I bet I can pass the fatigued pretzel-guy on my "slightly" more comfortable ride....Anyway, different body types will feel comfortable on different machines, right? A 6ft guy with a 32" inseam may hate the Honda ergo's, while feeling perfectly comfy (as these bikes will allow) on the yam....hope your knee gets better....
jrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 04:33 AM   #33
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Re: To poor to pay attention

Doesn't matter what MO says, really. Each of us is free to pick his own winner. Right?
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 04:42 AM   #34
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Re: Moment of silence.....

It's creepy answering your beautiful post, but...

Maybe MO could add an In Memoriam section so friends could contribute bios and memories. They could also add a Kind rating to the Moderate list.

Thanks for this.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 05:11 AM   #35
Riding_Naked
Founding Member

Default Why No Kawasaki?

As a paying subscriber, I'd seriously like to know why in the hell a Kawasaki wasn't included in this Bike Shootout series of yours.

Is it because Kawi doesn't offer a ZX-10?

Thank you.
Riding_Naked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 05:42 AM   #36
ram
Founding Member

Default Re: Round Three: The Drag Strip

Dude, you are right.

I got my 1K Gixxer DESPITE of last years test, and it sure does the job.

The Yoshimura EMS and exhaust system gave it lots of extra muscle, and a proper steering damper solved the headshakes problem.

I don’t realy understand this comfort crap. It’s all about pain in the end, and believe me, my back and the gixxer are real good friends.

I also use the bike on town streets and traffic jams, and I have no complains.

It’s a great bike, and it sure kicks the competitions ass.

OK, so it will not win this years test…

Take my word as a proud owner, that’s the bike to have!!!!!!!!

ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 05:51 AM   #37
ram
Founding Member

Default Re: To poor to pay attention

True, I also believe the Suzuki is the best bike, but then it lost last year.

If it wins, this means Yamaha and Honda managed to ruin their bikes...

Maybe the guys needed the time to accept the new standards set by the gixxer, and they will grant it the title...

ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 06:02 AM   #38
Grover
Founding Member

Default Re: Why No Kawasaki?

You obviously haven't read the first 3 installments of the shootout, go back and look at them if you must. I'll sum it up for you, it's basically a combination of the following.

a) They couldn't get one before they wanted to start the test.

b) They knew it would get stomped in pretty much every aspect except ergos by every other bike, so they just bestowed last place upon it by default.

Most of this is discussed in the "first impressions" part of the test, which was posted over a week ago, I haven't checked, but I'd assume there's a link to the other parts of the test at the bottom of the current story.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 06:52 AM   #39
pws2
Founding Member

Default Yamaha R1

How can the Yamaha R1 have a 8hp / 7lb torque advantage / weigh about the same and lose to the Honda 954 in the quarter mile? Kinda dissapointed.
pws2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 07:23 AM   #40
yzf1070
Founding Member

Default What tires?

What did you use for tires during the drag portion? Did you go back to stock or did you use the Pirelli's again? Did you use all 190 section tires or did you use the dual compound 180 on the gixxer again? Also, I posted this on the other board but I don't know if anyone will read it now so I'll ask again. When did you guys get the lap times at Fontana with the Suzuki before or after switching to the 180 rear? And what if any was the difference in lap times between the two tires?
yzf1070 is offline   Reply With Quote