Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 03-22-2002, 03:05 PM   #81
Arrow
Registered Member

Default Re: John Burns: Daily Diatribe

Agreed. But how do you know that they are not in the US right now? Or in Europe? Or Russia? Does anybody know where Bin Laden is for example? He may have gotten beaten up pretty badly but he is still a threat.

OK Let's consider that some of them are in

Iraq, do you think nuking Baghdad would make things better? Wouldn't that be a blatant disregard for civilian life? Just a few thoughts. I am still not convinced nuclear response is suitable but countries who harbor such people should be dealt with harshly.
Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-22-2002, 09:13 PM   #82
bugsplatter
Founding Member

I read my post and didn't intend to come off as an arse but fear I did...

OK, never in your life will you be cited for a violation of 21654, all violations of prima facie limits are cited 22350 vc, unsafe speed, which is a good thing for the motoring public b/c such violations are contestable on the basis of whether or not the speed was actually unsafe, in effect you can ask the officer to articulate what made the violation unsafe, say I cite you for going 70 on a posted 40 mph 4 lane divided roadway I personally would not cite you for violating the prima facie limit 40 mph but would write you for a violation of 22349(a) (65 mph which is in effect whether posted or not and I do not have to articulate whether or not what you were doing was unsafe.... there is a very good chance that it might not be unsafe for the prevailing conditions.

Lastly, although it may not be in agreement with literal latin, 65 mph is not a prima facie limit but a max limit, case law and the vehicle code distinguish btwn them...
bugsplatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 12:29 AM   #83
Steven_Verschoor
Registered Member

So we're back to plain ol' human decency?

Rats!
Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 01:12 PM   #84
dominatr37
Founding Member

>

I caught it this morning on "Bike Week" on the Speed channel. Good stuff John! You looked very professional sliding off that bike, lol ! Yamaha must have loved you !

Hey, at least you weren't hurt. (From the looks of things that is, and that you never mentioned it anywhere.)

Ralph
dominatr37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 07:57 PM   #85
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Le Trappe.

It's Bavarian. Made by Trappist (Order of Cistercians of the Strict Observance- O.C.S.O, Roman Catholic) monks.

It's VERY German, notwithstanding the semi-french name. Suffice it to say that one's priorities are reordered when the difference is between making the best beer you can for profit motive and making the best beer you can because GOD commands it. This stuff is so smooth (How smooth is it?!) It's so smooth that a baby's butt will give it road rash. It's so smooth that it could substitute for road-crack sealant. It's so smooth that if you put it in your hair, John Travolta will ask you to teach him dancing.

Really good beer. They make Le Trappe, and Le Trappe Dubel, Le Trappe Tribel, and Le Trappe Quadrubbel. I spent New Year's 1998 nursing a 750ml bottle of the Quadrubbel. It was really really good. And rather strong.

And smooth.
Old 04-06-2002, 01:09 AM   #86
waller
Founding Member

Mr. Burns (or someone), here's another legal conundrum for you: I travel and get tickets in most every state. So I flew down from my island fastness to go to a CA traffic school. It did not advertise itself as a clown operation, but the former DMV instructor was flummoxed by this simple question: what's the law on how fast you can go when legally passing. He said "the speed limit" I said then if the jerk ahead(they're always jerks in my world) is going 54 in a 55, you've got 1 mph to play with. He said that was the law. I quoted "then the law, sir, is an ass." I was roundly booed by holding up the "class" which featured, oddly, donuts as a Pavlovian reward after the test- that-no-one-can-fail. Sorry to be prolix, but you gotta be for something.
waller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 01:10 AM   #87
waller
Founding Member

Mr. Burns (or someone), here's another legal conundrum for you: I travel and get tickets in most every state. So I flew down from my island fastness to go to a CA traffic school. It did not advertise itself as a clown operation, but the former DMV instructor was flummoxed by this simple question: what's the law on how fast you can go when legally passing. He said "the speed limit" I said then if the jerk ahead(they're always jerks in my world) is going 54 in a 55, you've got 1 mph to play with. He said that was the law. I quoted "then the law, sir, is an ass." I was roundly booed by holding up the "class" which featured, oddly, donuts as a Pavlovian reward after the test- that-no-one-can-fail. Sorry to be prolix, but you gotta be for something.
Old 05-10-2002, 06:37 PM   #88
oldsquid
Founding Member

guys and girls, we're all missing something when it comes to ranting about the left lane larries. these are the people we see watching the rear view mirror more than the road ahead of them. they like the fact someone is behind them. they like the feeling that they are annoying people. these are the same people who never have the money ready at the checkout, leave their car at the pumps when they go inside to pay for fuel with change, and even worse, these are the people who blow their noses in restaurants and think the speed limits are too fast. look around folks, there is probably one next door, or the co-worker who gives you the look when you walk in carrying your helmet. don't let them bother you. take a deep breath and visualize these losers with a tele-tubby shirt on, and spilt yogourt and granola in their lap. wait for a chance to get by and instead of throwing them the finger, wave like it's your old uncle bob. the friendly gesture will offend LLL ( left lane larries, or, left lane louises ) more than you can imagine. ride hard kids.
oldsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 09:11 PM   #89
waller
Founding Member

Default Re: Some guy I know...

Saw a CHP guy do that on his bike. In his shirtsleeves. I-5 is a different kind of place.