Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO vs. World (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/)
-   -   John Burns: Daily Diatribe (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/1119-john-burns-daily-diatribe.html)

Sparky_1 03-21-2002 03:47 AM

Re: John Burns: Daily Diatribe

Your comment "If not for George Bush wanting to issue nuclear hand grenades to our troops"; I think it a fine idea to put our enemies on notice that we are willing to go the distance. Roosevelt said it best "Walk softly and carry a big stick".

And I too have heart throbs for the 1150R, it's beautiful, and great performance for an all arounder. Cheers

Dave305 03-21-2002 04:15 AM

Or that your are one. Note that I said the driver was doing the limit or faster and was in the process of passing a vehicle. Grow up.

Joe_Momma 03-21-2002 04:22 AM

Re: Selfish Drives don't let you pass

It's not a necessary risk. I don't particularly love being held up though. I don't ride the bike much this time of year and Atlanta is known for being a wet city. I don't mind riding in the rain but I would rather not during rush hour.

I respond quite often because this time of year I don't have much work to do. In the summer, you won't see my name much.

Haird 03-21-2002 04:57 AM

I think that's "Talk softly and carry a big stick" as in let the tactical nukes (and the special forces and the B-52s and the Predators) speak for themselves. The massive force deployed in Afghanistan does much more to convince our enemies -- and our friends -- that we mean business than any amount of sabre-rattling ever could. Our diplomatic efforts will be much more successful as a result and that will make the world a safer place.

NickdaBrick 03-21-2002 05:10 AM

The problem is that the people who do this sort of thing are not the people reading this. They are, by and large, a bunch of smug, self-satisfied, sanctimonious, self-appointed social engineers who place themselves in charge of the rest of us. The only way to get them to listen is to grab them by the lapels, and shake them until they lose consciousness.

This isn't just a matter of convenience. Traffic needs to keep flowing smoothly to prevent accidents and allow ambulances and other emergency vehicles through. One smug bastard blocking the passing lane could -- and probably has -- cost lives.

NotoriousDJW 03-21-2002 05:18 AM

Sparky,

The actual quote is that we must "speak softly and carry a big stick". That means Bush shouldn't be speaking *loudly* about all the weapons we have and whom we're going to nuke. That may cause him to "paint himself into a corner" to quote another well known saying. You proved JPB's point quite nicely although I think he was going for a laugh more than a political commentary.

John, I developed a theory in college (during periods of slight brain chemical imbalances) that we should use the Ballistic Missle Defense system to zap slow drivers out of the left lane with lasers. They would get a warning shot across the bow and then be blown to smithereens. We could employ drifters, drug addicts, and the chronically unemployable to clean the resulting mess off of the shoulder. I'm currently lobbying to become the nations's "social engineering czar". Wish me luck :).

Dennis

BBD_Racing 03-21-2002 05:32 AM

Here in Houston, the highways are total lane free-for-alls. I grew up in CT and went to school in Boston, so it took a while to get used to this. Basically, you drive wherever you want at whatever speed you want. Flashing your lights causes the guy in front of you to wonder what the heck is going on.

As a matter of fact, when I mentioned the whole issue to to a number of locals, they thought the concept of "slower traffic keep right" was novel, foreign and dumb.

Before you pillory Texans, however, consider this: when on a secondary road, most people will pull into the emergency lane to allow a faster person to pass without crossing the yellow. Very nice.

xlr8r 03-21-2002 05:45 AM

This is all very curious. I take your point that the GS is more in the US than it is in the UK, but only a few years ago it was the other way around, with UK customers having to pay pound-for-dollar against the US price, in other words about 40% more. I don't know why BMW have reversed their position. I don't know why the GS is so much more than the R, either; I've owned both, and the R is, imho, the better one of the two, as well as being cheaper. And just to rub more salt into the wound, UK GS's get ABS and heated grips as standard.

motodude1 03-21-2002 06:15 AM

FUC K BUSH!

Hey bonehead, John don't like your unelected "President" Duh-bya northe way he's flushing our country down the permanent war toilet, so if you wanna pump him up, why doncha go post your love-fest on www.nationalreview.com or some other fascist site eh?

El_Flaco 03-21-2002 06:18 AM

You have it good.

Relative to the drivers where I live (in Seattle), you have it so good! The drivers in CA are gods relative to Washington drivers- you would think that people would be used to the rain, but noooo, people go an average of 33.46 mph when it starts raining, freeway or main city street, doesn't matter. It's nuts! (Yes, I was born and raised in Seattle.) And you can bet if you lane split or pass at a high speed, some self-important bink in an SUV will call the State Patrol on you- and they WILL respond. Cops have better things to do, but they are very selective in the way they mete out justice. Dork just blew through a red light in his BMW? Oh, we'll ignore that. El_Flaco cruises past on his Killer Krotch Rocket (cue scary music here) and they sure give me a lot of personal attention. (I ride a nekked SV-650.) OK, rant over. It would be fine with me if states made it a lot harder and more expensive to obtain a DL and register vehicles in exchange for a loosening of traffic laws. Of course, it will never happen, but I can always hope that rationality will prevail.