Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 03-20-2002, 09:10 PM   #31
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: John Burns: Daily Diatribe

your right about that, if some dip***** is dildonic enough to sit in the fast lane going 55 they're probably to stupid to know why everyone is pissed at them, I just hit my high beams and play laser tag with thier mirrors till they wake up and move over, alot of times if you concentrate on the passenger mirror they move over quicker, just don't tailgate them 'cause they might "become disoriented' and slow down even more. peace out
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-20-2002, 10:26 PM   #32
alanheng
Founding Member

Default Re: A minute and a huff?

Though I've never rode one, I really admire the concept and styling of the Hawk GT. The concept being a fun, mid-size vehicle with enough soul and juice to have fun, but not too much juice so that you can really ring its neck.

I like the simple styling, and I really love that swingarm. If those types of bikes weren't so price-inflated here I would be proud to own one (and if I did own one, I'd hang on to it as a retirement fund for later on).
alanheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 10:42 PM   #33
Steven_Verschoor
Registered Member

Wait a minute. The prima facie speed limits are lower than the maximums only if there are signs which say so...</p>

<blockquote>

22354. (a) Whenever the Department of Transportation determines

upon the basis of an engineering and traffic survey that the limit of

65 miles per hour is more than is reasonable or safe upon any

portion of a state highway where the limit of 65 miles is applicable,

the department may determine and declare a prima facie speed limit

of 60, 55, 50, 45, 40, 35, 30 or 25 miles per hour, whichever is

found most appropriate to facilitate the orderly movement of traffic

and is reasonable and safe, which declared prima facie speed limit

shall be effective when appropriate signs giving notice thereof are

erected
upon the highway.</p></blockquote>

So on a state highway where the max speed is normally 65, a lower the prima facie speed limit is only effictive if there are appropriate signs to notify drivers.</p>

So the prima facie speed limit is the posted limit on a state highway.</p>

So people who hold up traffic by doing the posted speed limit in the left-most lane must to MOVE OVER.</p>
Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 11:51 PM   #34
Grappelli
Registered Member

Hey...lots of them think they're doing it RIGHT, though. And c'mon, the test is so easy, with no re-tests. Should we be surprised??
Grappelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 12:15 AM   #35
mouser
Founding Member

Your all sort of right but your gonna be mighty frustrated if your expecting everyone to do things the right (or considerate) way. We don't worry about things like the left lane hogs here in Beaverton,Oregon. We're preoccupied with all the people being killed and injured every year by the "red light runners".(Now there's a hot topic)
mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 03:25 AM   #36
jmeyn
Founding Member

In Germany, speed doesn't matter. If you're not passing you must stay in the rightmost available lane. I was caught doing 90 mph in the middle lane of a 3 lane, empty autobahn. A guy on a little green police bike pulled up next to me and pointed me to the right lane. NOW!!

The current California law is practically unenforceable. We need a simple keep-to-the-right-unless-passing-or-turning law. Why not lobby for that?

I don't understand why you generate so much heat from your audience, John. You seem right on track to me.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 03:36 AM   #37
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Editorial Responsibility

You shouldn't have to do Road and Track's job for them, John. They should have followed that letter with a correction; otherwise they're implying it's true.

We have the same law in VA, but the guy in front is much less likely to be stopped for impeding traffic flow than the guy behind him for following too close, or aggressive driving.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 03:44 AM   #38
beerracer
Founding Member

Hey J. B.

Throw the natural light overboard! Get some good german beer, try something with a monk on the label. It will go well with the BMW and you'll feel lots better.
beerracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 03:52 AM   #39
Randy_P_Moran
Founding Member

Come on, JB! A little criticism and you get all hostile? Anyway, now we're getting somewhere...Exactly how am I like the esteemed Mr. Boehm? You know you wanna talk about him. You've put some kind of comment about him in every piece you've published here. C'mon, man, let it out! I think you might actually be in love with Boehm. Admit it--you're just a bitter little love muffin.
Randy_P_Moran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 04:40 AM   #40
banda
Founding Member

Default Re: A minute and a huff?

Good purchase. I have a '90 Hawk GT I bought new in '92.

Some words to the wise: [*]Stick with the stock tire sizes/profiles. I put a wider, lower profile Metzler on the rear of my GT 647 and it turned into a tank-slapping, butt-puckering mess.[*]Stay away from Kerker pipes... They rust through faster than you can say "Scotch Brite".[*]Don't mess with the motor until you've upgraded the suspension.[*]Eat your vegetables. Losing 10 or 15 extra pounds will make way more difference in the acceleration of this bike than thousands of dollars worth of port polishing and crank balancing.[*]Forget about aftermarket fairings. The only one I ever saw on a Hawk GT that didn't look like poop was a Two Brothers fairing, and they don't have any to sell anymore.

That "Minute and a Huff" line was from Groucho Marx in the wacky movie Duck Soup
banda is offline   Reply With Quote