Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 03-20-2002, 03:00 PM   #21
Forgy
Registered Member

Default Re: John Burns: Daily Diatribe

I wish the slow guys would get out of the left lane, too, but thats's only half the problem... The other half is passing on the right.

Check it out: Your're driving in an outer lane and someone comes up behind you and gives you a little "flash", you move over (so as not to impede fast lane traffic) and BLAM - some one a little more impatient flies up the right side and a$$holes you.

In Europe (Germany, especially) they will put you UNDER the jail for passing on the right. It's considered to be one of the more serious moving violations because of the potential it creates for high speed, multi-car accidents.

If we could get everyone here to abide by two simple rules, we could make a big dent in congestion:

1.) Don't block any left lanes - use the left for passing only, and move right when done.

2.) DON'T PASS ON THE RIGHT.

How sweet it could be...
Forgy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-20-2002, 03:07 PM   #22
CBR1000F
Founding Member

You know all those signs on the side of the road that say "Slower Traffic Keep Right" and "Keep Right Except to Pass"?

IT'S THE EFFING LAW!

I used to commute up 101N every day to work, and EVERY STINKING DAY there was a catering truck (Roach Coach) doing 5mph under the limit in the commute lane. I believe it's illegal for commercial vehicles to use the diamond lane - and since it was going off my motorcycle speedo, it was probably doing closer to 10 or 15mph under the limit... he ALWAYS had a line of cars stacked up behind him... so I used to split lanes up the front, and flip him off over my shoulder every stinking day...

Didn't help, but I felt better.

One day I saw a CHP pull him over for it... which was nice. I saw that thing on the freeway every day after that, but never in the commute lane again.
Old 03-20-2002, 04:20 PM   #23
gbmlaw
Founding Member

Your problem understanding the CHP ignoring the statute is pretty easy to understand Johnny B. They want convictions, not trials. Not only is there a conflict problem with the speed limits, but there is the problem of convincing a judge that the poor speed limit following sot was soing something that deserves to get a violation. Not at all likely.

On the other hand, I now understand that comment and editorial parenthetical in you most recent Bitter Little Man column.

So welcome you GS killing hooligan. Hope to read more of your stuff. And hope you will feel less restrained here.

But I hear that you still drink Corona. And the case of Yuengling is still in play.

there hasn\'t been a kill file in place for more than a month, actually,
since i realized that you don\'t get to me anymore. [shrug]
Erin Darling (February 25, 2002)

Brian is an interesting character and an excellent resource
for a variet
gbmlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 04:58 PM   #24
badsac
Founding Member

Nuclear hand grenades was just using a bit of licence to describe the issue that was all over the media recently about the US saying they were going to use tactical battlefield nukes on everyone from Sadam himself to the Icelandic armed forces. Supposedly they're going to develop all sorts of new nukes from bunker busters for the cave dwellers to atomic undies as a new means of suicide if you get caught by the enemy (who are they today?).
badsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 05:54 PM   #25
bugsplatter
Founding Member

Sorry to burst burnsie's bubble, but, prima facie speed limits are less than the maximums laid out in in CVCC sections 22349(a), 22349(b), and the loophole for 70mph, 22356. So no, in California, on a freeway a person travelling at the prevailing maximum speed limit, be it 55, 65 or 70(bless the lord) cannot be cited. Sorry, I wish they could.... But look on the bright side, any time you get cited for exceeding a prima facie speed limit, (the citation will be for 22350 vc) the burden is on the officer to articulate why it was unsafe.... As to what happen in those 32 weeks... (actually 27 now) you'll have to do it to find out, if haven't, you won't understand....
bugsplatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 06:11 PM   #26
rickd
Founding Member

Default Re: Selfish Drives don't let you pass

That always sucks when you are in a car. Since I ride a motorcycle, I just go between 'em.
rickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 06:16 PM   #27
Dave305
Founding Member

So, Johnny B, I know what a posted speed limit is. I know what prima facie means. But what the heck is a "prima facie speed limit"? You apparently presume that it is the same as the posted limit. Is it? Inquiring minds want to know.

Speaking of presumptions, for some reason I presume that you are the type that zips up to a fraction of a car length behind someone who is doing 70+ and is passing slower traffic (though not passing at a rapid enough rate to suit you), and then expects that driver to respect your rights by getting out of your way. If so, I find your actions as objectionable as those of the guy holding up traffic. In fact more so if the guy holding up traffic is doing the posted speed limit or better. If you're not that type, you may presume that I apologize profusely.
Dave305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 07:12 PM   #28
Youngbulll
Founding Member

In case John doesn't admit to it, I will. Hell yeah I ride like that. There are hundreds of problems on the roads today, and most of them are created by a serious lack of training in this country. Do you check your mirrors as often as you should? Probably not. If you do your one of the few. So if some schmuck hogging the left lane is sitting in his cage in fricken never, never land will he ever know that I need to pass? Nope! Not until I get right up his ass and let him know I'm there. And that's exactly what I do, and half the time it works. The rest of the time I split lanes, pass on the shoulder or on the right side. There is too much fun to have in life, why let the 90% of motorists that are dumb asses ruin your day. You may presume I don't give a rats ass.
Youngbulll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 07:15 PM   #29
banda
Founding Member

Default A minute and a huff?

Did you rent "Duck Soup" again this week?
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 07:56 PM   #30
redrumjim
Founding Member

Default Re: A minute and a huff?

Read the last article by JB, he"bithen monin and, complainin like normal. I bought a 90 hawk 650 gt today and I would like any feedback I could get
redrumjim is offline   Reply With Quote