Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 03-13-2002, 02:20 AM   #11
pplassm
Founding Member

Default Re: New Riders section at MO

I'd like to second the call for dirt riding as the best way to learn how to ride. It's much easier to find your limits, and the bikes limits away from the hard asphalt and killer cars.

You may end up riding more in the dirt than the street, like me.

Pete P.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-13-2002, 02:41 AM   #12
jmeyn
Founding Member

What a responsible, serious bunch of responses. Great! A few more observations:

1) Don't pick a bike unless you can ride it at a smooth 10 mph without slipping the clutch. You need to practice at low speeds so buy a bike that makes it possible.

2) Learn how to turn quickly, both righ and left, before you ride faster than 20 mph. That means counter-steering. Practice till it's automatic before you ride the freeways; Without this skill, at those speeds, avoidance maneuvers are impossible.

2a) Learn how to use your front brakes before you exceed 15 mph! Learn when to use your rears.

3) Unless you have an experienced friend/mentor/teacher or two, find a good weekend school. There are lots of free ones around the cities. If you have to learn by yourself, go slowly and be patient; motorcycles are way different from bicycles and mistakes hurt unless you die quickly.

4) The most dangerous time is when you decide... I've got it! I've really got it!. That's when the guy whose bumper you're riding hits the brake... and you freeze.

I envy you (sniff, sniff. Live and prosper.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 03:11 AM   #13
jamesohoh7
Founding Member

I will 'third' the suggestion for dirt-riding first. My first 'full-sized' bike was an '88 KX250... still have it, just rebuilt it actually. My first day riding it, I got about 50 yards before I looped it out and ate dirt. Hurt lots, but I learned immediately that the loud-handle is to be respected!.. not to mention that it was a good idea to be wearing a helmet.

Ride woods on your new dirt-bike. The pace is a lot slower than a motocross track and you won't kill or maim yourself trying that big double.

Woods riding puts a premium on throttle control and balance and using the brakes. These are the most important things you can learn starting out.

As well, it's a hell of a work-out!

-James

jamesohoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 03:48 AM   #14
NoKneeDown
Founding Member

Hows about a section explaining the actual parts that make up a motorcycle and their function as well. I don't know how many issues of Motorcyclist I read when I started getting into bikes more before I figured out what the hell a swingarm was. It took me about three years of constant reading and researching to figure out what I know, and that ain't a lot. For those just starting out, it is important to know what a carburator is and it's function in a motorcycle. Knowing how a machine works is the first step to being able to control it.

--Also, I'm interested in the dirt riding experience and it's help on the road. Since I'm 21 I think I've outgrown my Honda MiniTrail 50cc. Does anybody know of any organizations or schools for dirt riding education? Websites??
NoKneeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 04:04 AM   #15
NoKneeDown
Founding Member

Also, explain to me how to spell "carburetor".

Thanks.
NoKneeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 04:12 AM   #16
Grappelli
Registered Member

Suggestions for first bikes would be very useful, including bikes NOT to get. I have anumber of frieds who have started biking, and they all want R6's or even R1's to start on. It takes forever to persuade them not to get one of these. (In fact I had to threaten one of them, that if he bought a R1, I'd lift him off it and take it back to the dealership myself)
Grappelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 04:13 AM   #17
NotoriousDJW
Registered Member

1) Training. Maybe a section that explains how important it is to get into a MSF class or track school and include numbers and web sites for both. A riding tip section ala Sport Rider would be good and could use video clips to demonstrate.

2) Gear. I just got back from Daytona and drove past 4 or 5 serious/fatal accident scenes. There wasn't a helmet or jacket to be found. An explanation of where money is best spent for those who are trying to ride on a budget would be helpful. For instance, race rep helmets don't protect your head better than a white X-9 on closeout for $180.

3) Risk Factors

This is a tough one to cover comprehensively but maybe a link to some safety studies and other research (hurt report, etc.) New riders should know that unlicensed and drunk riders die much more often and cars making bonehead left turns in front of you are also quite common. Maybe a "Riding Tips" section with editor and reader contributions would be nice.

4) Bike buying guide. An overview of good entry-level bikes from the past 10-15 years would be a great resource for new bike shoppers. I also agree that discouraging newbies from hopping on a Hayabusa straightaway would probably extend their involvement in our sport.

I think a New Riders section is a nice addition to the site and look forward to seeing it.

Dennis
NotoriousDJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 04:27 AM   #18
everiman
Registered Member

1 Defensive riding tricks, those who come to our sport as car drivers have no clue about the lack of respect MCs are given by cages, especially wobbly rookies in the slow lane.

2 Re the above, two wheel challeges such as reading road surfaces, how to ride on gravel, avoiding potholes, crossing RR tracks, what to do when dogs chase your bike, sandy or icy corners, rain, windchill (hypothermia), passengers who lean the other way in corners, flat tire or blowout while rding etc.
everiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 04:28 AM   #19
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Why MO NEEDS a New Rider section.

This is not intended to be insulting to this poster. There is NO offense intended, BUT...

This is EXACTLY why MO should have a New Riders section.

After much careful consideration this new rider narrows it down to two motorcycles. One has 100 H.P. and weighs 470 Lbs, and one has 100 H.P. and weighs 370 Lbs. These are NOT "new rider" bikes. It seems that because 600s are the smallest displacement U.S. market super sports, people think that they are appropriate for beginners. Folks this is like giving your 16yr old high school student a Corvette Z06 as a first car. Sure it can change direction and stop quicker than most cars. However, it ALSO achieves much higher speeds in much shorter distances (like between corners) enabling it to get into more trouble on a more frequent basis than your average car. A modern 600 supersport is much the same, serious overkill for a new rider on public roads. This person should be looking at an EX 250 or good street single (CCM, Muz etc...) or at most an EX 500 Ninja if they want a "sport" bike as a first bike. Then they should ride it as much as possible, without the peer pressure of group rides etc, for the first few thousand miles. A modern 600 is deceptively fast. When that itch to pass in an inappropriate spot, or open it up just for the hell of it strikes (and it WILL strike), this new rider will find themselves going MUCH faster than they expected and arriving at the next car/obstacle/corner MUCH quicker than they expected or wanted. Luck will play just as much of a role in his/her next 6 months as skill or training will.
Old 03-13-2002, 04:37 AM   #20
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Sure Thing! and every small child should be given a nice, loaded, ****ed, semi-automatic pistol and allowed to "play" so that they can better learn what NOT to do.

p.s. that was sarcasm