Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 03-04-2002, 03:11 AM   #121
teapotdome
Registered Member

Default Re: John Burns, welcome to Motorcycle Online!

Yes and it's been a long time coming. Welcome aboard. Looking forward to excellent insight, commentary, bitterness and maybe, just maybe, a true "open mike" for the motorcycle business. Have you guys seen "AutoExtremist.com?" Opportunities abound, and Burns could be the catalyst. YeeeeHaahh!!
teapotdome is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-04-2002, 03:45 AM   #122
buck000
Founding Member

First time poster, fairly long-time reader (subscribed before you went subscription), motorcycle newbie here...

Re: John Burns -- er, um, to be honest, I've never heard of him...! However, the first article was interesting, between that and the favorable feedback from other, more informed readers, it looks like MO is continuing to improve.

Re: MO advantages over print mags -- two words: audio/video. I loved the fact that I could hear the new VFR sound (at any quality) when it may be months before I can even see one at a dealer, much less hear or ride it. I'd personally pay even more than $12/yr if more AV was supplied with the road tests...

Finally, it's my considered opinion that MO now needs to balance its experienced staff with someone who can provide the perspective of someone new to riding. I humbly offer myself as that person. I believe I can be a perpetual newbie, and would be more than happy to offer my opinions on whatever bike you're testing at the time, at the risk of being repetitive ("my high-side on this machine wasn't as painful as the last one on the RC-1...").

Keep up the great work, and remember: audio/video.

Paul
buck000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 04:17 AM   #123
shalbleib
Founding Member

excellent... excellent idea!
shalbleib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 04:49 AM   #124
Rev_Deadpan
Registered Member

If you've got Burns, you've got my 12 bucks...

I was a big fan of the "Bitter Little Man"column at Motorcyclist, but more importantly, in the last 5 years there have only been 2 people at Motorcyclist who's reviews meant anything to me, Greg McQuide and John Burns.

They were the only guys who seemed to value the same things I value in a bike, and half the time, they were the only guys who seemed to actually enjoy riding a bike more than talking about it. (Burns even managed to get me to test ride an R6... Nice ride, lacked the soul of a European bike)

With McQuide gone, I guess I just have to follow Burns around whenever he gets fired...

Rev_Deadpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 07:11 AM   #125
roxysdad
Founding Member

Ding Ding. I was just about to write a similiar note/email regarding the 12 dollars. Once I read this news regarding JB over the weekend I decided then and there that you would get my subscription dollars. Now that I have subscribed I am very happy to report that the site is all that I hoped it would be.

Now what about that new guy at Motorcyclist? Norem? He has some potential don't you think?

Congrats on the big win, I hope this is the first of many as you guys continue to do the right thing with the subscription idea. I'll have to wire cat 5 into the bathroom or set up wireless ethernet in the house, because I (like many others) really enjoy getting away from everything and reading a good motorcycle magazine.

cw
roxysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 08:06 AM   #126
VFRider
Registered Member

Default Re: Another body-blow for Motorcyclist...

Jamie deserves everything she gets. Her comments have severely damaged if not killed an otherwise fine magazine. To be bigoted and uniformed about gun issues is one thing. To be the chief editor of a major magazine and be bigoted and uninformed is another. We as riders face the "anti" mentality almost everyday. From bans in our towns and National Parks, to legislation that would outlaw bikes entirely in the name of saftey, we strive to educate the un-informed and protect our rights as Americans to persue happiness in our own ways. Her comments showed that she yet to grasp that concept.
VFRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 11:17 AM   #127
majmpb
Founding Member

Naw,

I think he was asked to leave because he didn't cash the check from Honda that Boehm left on his desk....
majmpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 11:44 AM   #128
NoKneeDown
Founding Member

This is what happens when you are away from the computer all weekend--You login to find your favorite motojournalist is now writing for the venue you frequent most. I'm happy as can be for MO and can't wait to see what the future of the site is going to be like. After the last couple of months of "Bitter Little Man", we know why they call Bhoem "The Butcher"--He neutered Burns. Well my man, MO got yer balls back, so ride and write like you know how.

Ha ha to all the people who complained about the writing of the R1 intro. Get used to it.

To Art Freidman, if you stay away from our message boards, I'll pay your $12 a year. I don't care if Burns quit or was fired from MC. If he was let go, then that just proves the censorship of print mags is as rampant as we all think.

As Butch "The Butcher" Butch would say,

Ride Well.
NoKneeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 05:37 AM   #129
nbyers
Registered Member

I completely agree.

I remember when Boehm was a newbie, fresh from the Salt Lake City canyons, addicted to motorcycles like all of us. It's hard to believe that he's become a complete jerk.

As my business partner would say, "No matter how thin the pancake is, there's always two sides."

Burns is always intelligent and entertaining; I hope his ride at MO is a good one.
nbyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 10:48 AM   #130
motodude1
Founding Member

Default I know why John was canned....

it was a culmination of years of tension between him and *****, err, Mitch. You see, Mitch is a small-town Utah kinda ****head trying hard to make it in the Big Magazine City. His narrow-mindedness and utter lack of sense for entertaining writing was a source of constant friction between the intelligent and worldly Mr. Burns. When Burns would try to inject some life into that glorified press release known as MC, Mitch would shoot him down or file his notions in the "yeah, I'll think about that" file. For concrete proof, just read MC back issues; all the interesting articles are written by Burns. All the mushy, bland, Cycle World-like stuff is Mitch and Cook and everyone else speaking. No, that's not altogether true; Mitch rarely writes ANYTHING in MC nowadays except his six-paragraph "oh isn't motorcycling fun" editorial.

The simple fact is, Mitch wouldn't know entertaining, quality journalism if it bit him in his pimply yard-wide arse. He constantly hires people who flatter him and compliment his large ego, yet bypasses true talent. (Remember the thrilling Darwin Holmstrom? Another Mitch crony). Burns, who actually studied journalism and knows good writing from bad (not to mention what real motorcyclists like to read) naturally felt frustration at the downward spiral of his publication, yet was powerless to do anything due to being out of favor with Mitchy (anyone notice newbie Marc Cook getting Executive Editor status after less than one year aboard, yet after eight years Burns is merely "senior editor"?)

So there ya have it. And I know all you guys who met Mitch once or twice prolly thought he's not so bad, nice guy etc. Yeah well, just you try working for him....