Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 03-03-2002, 10:07 AM   #111
intruderman
Founding Member

Default Hey Art, you're not worthy...

"Or won't MO let you? "

I don't know if this is from the real Art Friedman or not. If it is, his sentence fragments confirm that he isn't half the writer Burn's is. I've subscribed to Motorcyclist, Cycle World, Rider, Cycle News, Roadracing World, Rider, Motorcycle Cruiser, and Sport Rider. Out of all these, Former Editor Friedman's Motorcycle Cruiser had the crappiest writing. Every blasted article would hit me with such clever phrases as "...and the spent gasses exit through a pair of chromed dual mufflers...".
intruderman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-03-2002, 10:19 AM   #112
intruderman
Founding Member

Default Jamie Naked?

Please! I just ate!
intruderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 10:45 AM   #113
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Default Re: John Burns, welcome to Motorcycle Online!

Kids, kids... such rancor!

I don't really know Mitch Bohem very well althought I have met him a few times at the track. Seems like a likeable enough person to me and is sure enthuisiastic about things. That's very cool. I don't know John Burns at all except that he smacked me pretty good in a respose to a letter that I wrote to Motorcyclist a while back. Nonetheless I find his prose to be erudite, fecund, and generally well worth paying attention to. I'm sure that he's a prince of a fellow.

So why is there a good guy/bad guy dynamic here?

People move on every day. The way I see it MO gets a bona fide motorcycle writing rain man and Motorcyclist gets the opportunity to bring a fresh voice into the fold. Sounds like a possible win-win to me. I will still look forward to reading both mags.

booya

sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 01:14 PM   #114
sanchin
Registered Member

Default Welcome John Burns !!!!

I'm sorry to here that you left motorcyclist, but glad I'll still see your articles since I'm also a subscriber to MO. If you can bring anything from Motorcyclist, bring us 'The Real World' and

"Ergonomically Speaking". Those two features add tremendous value to my reading. A while back I sold my 97 YZF600R because I couldn't take the riding position even after installing 'heli-bars.' Everyone kept telling me to buy a VFR (including your old editor) but then you

guys ran an article called '4 for the real world' which showed the vfr is nearly identical to the

yzf and saved me big bucks ! Well enough rambling, and welcome !

Greg Samuel
sanchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 02:40 PM   #115
71MAGNA
Founding Member

No way. I responded to one of his stupid rants about some Harley guy pissing him off so he decides to even the score and look stupid by passing the guy over 100mph on the highway. I simply stated that although the Harley guy was a bozo for running straight pipes, etc...what Burns did was enforce the stereotype of "sportbike squid-boy". He then somehow equated a German helmut with Nazism which made no sense either...He's a bozo.

Yeah, Boem kisses Honda ass but it's better than the bulls**t that Burns churns out as if he's such the "maverick". Yeah. He's the geek like Norem with unfounded ****iness thrown in.

71Magna

PS: Boem at least can ride...
71MAGNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 02:57 PM   #116
jstern02
Founding Member

When I finally broke down and decided to pay actual money to read MO, I never thought it would include articles from the great J. Monty Burns. A good publication gets even better. They must be smoking crack rocks over at Motorcyclist. Tell Mitch to stick it up his fat ass.
jstern02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 04:29 PM   #117
SR
Registered Member

That article about pestering the Harley guy was one of the best and funniest articles I have ever read in a motorcycle magazine. You took that article way too seriously. Burns isn't about logic or good behavior, and he does exaggerate, but that's what makes his articles so entertaining.
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 06:39 PM   #118
dwr461
Founding Member

I don't think that just because JB and his former boss didn't get along, doesn't make either of them bad guys. I've known people who were both essientially good, but when alone together would be at each other's throats. JB did not say really anything bad about Mitch, as it should be in a magazine of any sort. Once again welcome to MO and good luck. Dave
dwr461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 07:04 PM   #119
ikonoklass
Founding Member

Default Another body-blow for Motorcyclist...

This, the same week that Cycle World came down on Jamie Elvidge for her anti-gun sentiments! There's gonna be an infarction or two...
Old 03-04-2002, 02:29 AM   #120
Haru
Founding Member

Default Can MO emulate the Spirit of Cycle?

Cycle used to be my favorite magazine . Uts demise was quite upsetting. There has been nothing to fill in the Gap.

I wonder if MO can oblige......
Haru is offline   Reply With Quote